Dak getting bad advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would not give him more than $30mil
You like losing. Do you know how many quarterbacks we've had between Troy Aikman and Tony Romo. You don't know how lucky we are to find Prescott a diamond in the rough

Swanny

Reaction score
Interesting banter on 105.3 The Fan. This from Ben and Skin:

Dak's agency is CAA (Creative Artists Agency), which started with Hollywood actors and singers and slowly progressed into the sports world. They have Beyonce, George Clooney, Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Matthew McConaughey, etc...you get the point.

They don't negotiate. Period. They go for the throat, full on high-dollar with no waivering.

By that measure, it is very realistic that (1) they did ask for $40 million recently, and (2) they do not want Dak to sign anything now before the market explodes under the new CBA.

That is horrible advice for Dak, who absolutely should have taken that $30 million per year offer. If he doesn't play lights out this season, he could lose tens of millions from this calculated gamble. CAA won't care; they just move on to the next of their thousands of clients.

It is GLORIOUS for the Cowboys, who now get a cheap look at Dak before deciding to pay him big money next offseason, or not. I, for one, love it.

Nobody has an issue paying Dak huge money if his play proves it this year. Likewise, the Cowboys could dodge the proverbial bullet if he doesn't.

Dak is subsidizing his salary nicely with all of his endorsements, but it's not the additional massive signing bonus and salary he's turning down.
Dak should absolutely wait for the new CBA. The Cowboys should absolutely get Dak signed before the new CBA.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Wentz led a team to a number 1 seed and was going to be the MVP of the NFL before his injury. When has Dak been discussed as even a top 5 for MVP? Hell, top 8 for MVP?

When has Wentz played in or won a playoff game? He’s as brittle as glass. He did play well for part of one season, but Dak has accomplished more and deserves a better contract. He’s earned it.

Dak is also clutch. Wentz is notoriously not.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Interesting banter on 105.3 The Fan. This from Ben and Skin:

Dak's agency is CAA (Creative Artists Agency), which started with Hollywood actors and singers and slowly progressed into the sports world. They have Beyonce, George Clooney, Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Matthew McConaughey, etc...you get the point.

They don't negotiate. Period. They go for the throat, full on high-dollar with no waivering.

By that measure, it is very realistic that (1) they did ask for $40 million recently, and (2) they do not want Dak to sign anything now before the market explodes under the new CBA.

That is horrible advice for Dak, who absolutely should have taken that $30 million per year offer. If he doesn't play lights out this season, he could lose tens of millions from this calculated gamble. CAA won't care; they just move on to the next of their thousands of clients.

It is GLORIOUS for the Cowboys, who now get a cheap look at Dak before deciding to pay him big money next offseason, or not. I, for one, love it.

Nobody has an issue paying Dak huge money if his play proves it this year. Likewise, the Cowboys could dodge the proverbial bullet if he doesn't.

Dak is subsidizing his salary nicely with all of his endorsements, but it's not the additional massive signing bonus and salary he's turning down.

I've been saying this for awhile now.

There is too much downside to not signing a new deal.

A few things.

1. Injury risk.

2. Someone in his camp is overrating him.

3. What if he goes on to have a terrible year or maintains being Dakverage and not throwing for 30 TD's for the 4th straight season?

Dak is a low upside / low downside player. He's very marketable and plays in the best football market there is so I just can't believe he didn't take a top 5 QB average in salary and it just looks stupid to me from the outside looking in.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Why do some folks keep thinking the Cowboys are still questioning whether or not to pay Dak?

"A lot of people question whether Dak is one of the guys who need to be in the top tier. I have never questioned that. That is what this is showing you. I don’t think there is any doubt that he is at the top level of paid quarterbacks. There is no question in my mind about that." - Jerry Jones, two weeks ago.

Whether or not we agree with that decision is irrelevant.

We know they want to pay him. It's just very odd he didn't take the deal they offered if it was top 5 pay at the position.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If Dak doesn't sign,thats ashame. I am sure we will have a plan in lace just for that. We can always tag him...don't forget that. I doubt it will come to that,but we will see.

JBS

Reaction score
This thread is beyond stupid and the reason why you are upset is bc his agency is giving him the right advice..if it was the wrong advice and if it was beneficial for the team, you wouldn't be crying..

There is a big difference between bad advice, which this clearly isn't, assuming this is true of course..and bad for the Cowboys..yes, if his agency is telling him this, it's right for dak and bad for dallas

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If I was tied for the 12th most impactful player in the league according to Vegas, I would leverage that.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frankly, I don't care how much money the players make, if the cap allows the Cowboys to keep most of the quality players. As the Cowboys have a lot of young, great players, I just can't imagine the cap increasing to a level that allows everyone to make top-5 salaries. Hopefully, I am wrong!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If I was tied for the 12th most impactful player in the league according to Vegas, I would leverage that.

I don't know about this stat but he was reportedly offered a top 5 contract at his position. I would say that's not bad for the "12th most impactful" player who is only making 900k a year.

Risking that much money just seems stupid. This is football. Ask Alex Smith what can happen.

Ken

Reaction score
Wentz led a team to a number 1 seed and was going to be the MVP of the NFL before his injury. When has Dak been discussed as even a top 5 for MVP? Hell, top 8 for MVP?
Fools Gold...as the backup came in and didn't miss a beat with that offensive system/players.

And 2016 he finished 6th in MVP voting, fyi.

MVP votes

Ryan: 25
Brady: 10
Zeke: 6
Carr: 6
Rodgers: 2
Dak: 1

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
What you say and what you do are different things.

Perhaps they offered just enough that he'd feel appreciated, but not enough to get him to sign.

The thought from the segment was that CAA doesn't do negotiations. They tell you what you can pay Dak, and will only raise it if you say no.

That works perfectly here. Dallas saves $28 million in 2019 and will be SURE next offseason.

Plus, they have two franchise tags if they want to apply them. Keep kicking that can down the road.

How will they (or you) be sure? If Zeke is signing and the offense is more creative (or less predictable...whichever you prefer), people will be saying Zeke and Kellen carried Dak and made a system QB look good. Eventually, there comes a time when you have to believe the stats and win/loss record in front of you and sign Dak to a huge contract or let him walk and hope you can hit on someone else.

Didn't we have a respected coach who said something along the lines of "you are what your record says you are"?

Batman1980

Reaction score
How will they (or you) be sure? If Zeke is signing and the offense is more creative (or less predictable...whichever you prefer), people will be saying Zeke and Kellen carried Dak and made a system QB look good. Eventually, there comes a time when you have to believe the stats and win/loss record in front of you and sign Dak to a huge contract or let him walk and hope you can hit on someone else.

Didn't we have a respected coach who said something along the lines of "you are what your record says you are"?

Bill Parcells, still one of the smartest football coaches ever.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Why do some folks keep thinking the Cowboys are still questioning whether or not to pay Dak?

"A lot of people question whether Dak is one of the guys who need to be in the top tier. I have never questioned that. That is what this is showing you. I don’t think there is any doubt that he is at the top level of paid quarterbacks. There is no question in my mind about that." - Jerry Jones, two weeks ago.

Whether or not we agree with that decision is irrelevant.

But I think the point @erod is making is that things change. Jerry feels that way, and I honestly don't have much issue with it.

But what if Dak looks terrible the first quarter of the season? Or suffers a serious injury? Or we win 5 games?

Jerry's outlook could change in a hurry.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Sooooooo the guy that's going to make Zeke the highest paid running back in NFL history is manipulating him? Man where do I sign up for some of that "manipulation." :laugh:

Yea. There is a proper way to go about things, and a shady way to go about things. Or do you think the way Zeke did this was an honorable way to go about getting his money? Who do you think was influencing him to be away from his teammates and to play hardball?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Wow ....... A thread about hypothetical advice being given about hypothetical money that was asked for setting up a hypothetical scenario where Dak either screws the team or screws himself.

erod at his finest.

Status
Not open for further replies.