Dak getting bad advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Wentz led a team to a number 1 seed and was going to be the MVP of the NFL before his injury. When has Dak been discussed as even a top 5 for MVP? Hell, top 8 for MVP?

He was 6th in MVP voting in 2016. Whether you believe that to be deserved or not.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I don't know about this stat but he was reportedly offered a top 5 contract at his position. I would say that's not bad for the "12th most impactful" player who is only making 900k a year.

Risking that much money just seems stupid. This is football. Ask Alex Smith what can happen.

The 900k is more reason to get more than less, you're making it seem the other way which it isnt. It seems stupid to you, but it isnt. If you think about the amount of times an Alex Smith event doesnt happen to a QB, compared to how often it does..... seems pretty not stupid.

Of the players that make more of an impact:
Three are on rookie deals and will exceed his deal when they get theirs
Six are past their prime, and non-ascending players
One of them is married to Gizzelle

And the other ones are who is peers are and his contract is being compared to.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Wentz led a team to a number 1 seed and was going to be the MVP of the NFL before his injury. When has Dak been discussed as even a top 5 for MVP? Hell, top 8 for MVP?

This cant be serious, please tell me this isnt serious.

How can someone have such a short term memory?

Reaction score
Interesting banter on 105.3 The Fan. This from Ben and Skin:

Dak's agency is CAA (Creative Artists Agency), which started with Hollywood actors and singers and slowly progressed into the sports world. They have Beyonce, George Clooney, Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Matthew McConaughey, etc...you get the point.

They don't negotiate. Period. They go for the throat, full on high-dollar with no waivering.

By that measure, it is very realistic that (1) they did ask for $40 million recently, and (2) they do not want Dak to sign anything now before the market explodes under the new CBA.

That is horrible advice for Dak, who absolutely should have taken that $30 million per year offer. If he doesn't play lights out this season, he could lose tens of millions from this calculated gamble. CAA won't care; they just move on to the next of their thousands of clients.

It is GLORIOUS for the Cowboys, who now get a cheap look at Dak before deciding to pay him big money next offseason, or not. I, for one, love it.

Nobody has an issue paying Dak huge money if his play proves it this year. Likewise, the Cowboys could dodge the proverbial bullet if he doesn't.

Dak is subsidizing his salary nicely with all of his endorsements, but it's not the additional massive signing bonus and salary he's turning down.

I've been cautiously optimistic about Dak getting over the hump eventually and I think this is the year he does it. He looks more decisive and he's got Jon "let 'er rip" Kitna coaching him up. He's entering a "prove it" season with one hellaciously good football team and all the complimentary pieces a QB could ask for. No reason for him to worry, just let 'er rip. :cool:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The 900k is more reason to get more than less, you're making it seem the other way which it isnt. It seems stupid to you, but it isnt. If you think about the amount of times an Alex Smith event doesnt happen to a QB, compared to how often it does..... seems pretty not stupid.

Of the players that make more of an impact:
Three are on rookie deals and will exceed his deal when they get theirs
Six are past their prime, and non-ascending players
One of them is married to Gizzelle

And the other ones are who is peers are and his contract is being compared to.

Injury is just 1 factor but it’s a really big factor.

The other is he’s an average player on a really good roster and is at risk of being exposed fairly quickly if we ever need him to really air out the football and I’ll be surprised if he finally throws 30 TD passes.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

The other is he’s an average player on a really good roster and is at risk of being exposed fairly quickly if we ever need him to really air out the football and I’ll be surprised if he finally throws 30 TD passes.
I can't wait for them to turn Prescott loose. Just not wait until the fourth quarter when the game is on the line. We no longer have to play Smash Mouth football we no longer have the youngest starting defense in the league and we don't have to worry about over exposing them. Everybody needs to get in a rhythm. I don't care about 400-yard passing games usually you're losing because you don't have balance. I've seen him air it out against the Ravens the Giants. I think he's better than average. Top 10 for sure. I know what we could have instead of him suffered through 15 different starting quarterbacks between Troy Aikman and Tony Romo.

Zman5

Reaction score
Dak should have been smarter and got T.O. to help him like Zeke did with Falk.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Whatever. The cap is the cap. If he cant fit, he can easily make his career disappear as fast as he made it appear by signing elsewhere.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Yea. There is a proper way to go about things, and a shady way to go about things. Or do you think the way Zeke did this was an honorable way to go about getting his money? Who do you think was influencing him to be away from his teammates and to play hardball?

This is so naive, that's the way the game goes with elite rb in the NFL. There's no other way to do it, if he waits until year 5 is completed then his value goes down due to the "miles" on his legs.

There's no "honorable" was to do things because there's no honor in the contracts.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

His roster is now stronger than it was was the last two years.
When he really has to air it out is when Prescott shines and is amongst the NFLs elite in those situations, so really no risk there.

You get the point. Not stupid, very smart.

erod

Reaction score
I've been cautiously optimistic about Dak getting over the hump eventually and I think this is the year he does it. He looks more decisive and he's got Jon "let 'er rip" Kitna coaching him up. He's entering a "prove it" season with one hellaciously good football team and all the complimentary pieces a QB could ask for. No reason for him to worry, just let 'er rip. :cool:
If Dak can't look like an elite QB with this roster, he'll never be elite.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
You like losing. Do you know how many quarterbacks we've had between Troy Aikman and Tony Romo. You don't know how lucky we are to find Prescott a diamond in the rough
$30 mil is more than fair, hell its top 5 money. But I thought you said 1 player doesn't make the team better?!

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dak is a smart guy. It doesn't seem like he could be as easily manipulated by an agent as say Zeke....
He is not being smart about this!

I am not a Dak believer but he should take his 30 mill per year and guaranteed money and run!

Signing Bonus 20 Mill, 2019 salary 28 mill - that's 48 million in his pocket to invest. The 28 mill for 2019 he can only recover with a 28 million better deal next year. That's just not likely. Then the time value of the 48 million he would have in his hands in the next 5 months....

Bad advice - screw your pride and take the deal!

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dak has already earned a nice contract with his excellent play the past 3 seasons. $30 million/year is less than Wentz so he’s obviously not going to accept that. $33 million seems fair though.
You are only as good as your last year so the past 3 years don't earn him anything next offseason......

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
His roster is now stronger than it was was the last two years.
When he really has to air it out is when Prescott shines and is amongst the NFLs elite in those situations, so really no risk there.

You get the point. Not stupid, very smart.

If you say so.. I just see too much downside in not signing now but if he wants to gamble then good luck to him.

He can either take make believe money now and it’s there regardless or he can not sign and chase a little bit more make believe money with the risk of losing a large amount of the original offer.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
When has Wentz played in or won a playoff game? He’s as brittle as glass. He did play well for part of one season, but Dak has accomplished more and deserves a better contract. He’s earned it.

Dak is also clutch. Wentz is notoriously not.
we will find out about both QBs this season IMO. There will be not much debate about either guy after this year.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
$30 mil is more than fair, hell its top 5 money. But I thought you said 1 player doesn't make the team better?!
It doesn't. The team makes it better. Make no mistake about that LOL so what does that have to do with anything

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You need to learn how to take everything on an individual basis. 1 quotes does not the circle make. LOL you have to love these people. You try to make one point and they make you suffer for it. Think out-of-the-box stop the tunnel vision

Status
Not open for further replies.