Dak has 5th-best EPA in expected pass situations

Dallasfann

Reaction score
These are always fun stats and all but the problem is...we all watched the 49ers games. We didn't get a first down until what the 5th drive? Where is the stats for that. Oh that's right on the win loss column.

Nav22

Reaction score
These are always fun stats and all but the problem is...we all watched the 49ers games. We didn't get a first down until what the 5th drive? Where is the stats for that. Oh that's right on the win loss column.
Dak totally sucks when facing the very best defense in football, especially without any semblance of a run game.

Not nearly as big an indictment as you think it is.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What kind of stat is this. What does it prove? What does it mean?
Not downing Dak, but this is another stat they come up with for what reason.

Expected pass situation.
Where are QB”s in expected win situations. Even though it is a team thing as well. I mean his is probably good at that.

Maybe it means and proves he can read defenses….unlike some say he can’t.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

Expected pass situation.
Where are QB”s in expected win situations. Even though it is a team thing as well. I mean his is probably good at that.

It's basically just third and long but I believe also accounts for game script.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I wonder if thats on him or McCarthy? thats not his norm is it?
I'd argue a little of both, plus a lot of dropped passes mixed in there. The current offense isnt going to depends on Dak slinging it all 20+ yards down field all game. With that said I haven't been too impressed with what his deep balls have looked like this year either....although to be fair I've never thought Dak threw a pretty deep ball but he typically has solid numbers overall with them. With what MM has set the offense up to be Dak should have a higher YPA than he does, however I think that is largely going to come from a higher completion percentage too, which requires the receivers to hang onto the football too which has been an issue this year.

Total mixed bag this year from Dak and the offense as a whole.

Nav22

Reaction score

Expected pass situation.

You think every single stat has to prove something 100% definitively, or else it should be tossed out and never spoken of again?

It means whatever you want it to mean.

Do you think it's a random coincidence that the best QBs in the league seem to be at the top? And the worst QBs seem to be at the bottom? That's called correlation.

starfan1

Reaction score
I'd argue a little of both, plus a lot of dropped passes mixed in there. The current offense isnt going to depends on Dak slinging it all 20+ yards down field all game. With that said I haven't been too impressed with what his deep balls have looked like this year either....although to be fair I've never thought Dak threw a pretty deep ball but he typically has solid numbers overall with them. With what MM has set the offense up to be Dak should have a higher YPA than he does, however I think that is largely going to come from a higher completion percentage too, which requires the receivers to hang onto the football too which has been an issue this year.

Total mixed bag this year from Dak and the offense as a whole.
Ya and to be honest Im more comcerned with how these things are playing out in December and January vs September and october although it all counts

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Ya and to be honest Im more comcerned with how these things are playing out in December and January vs September and october although it all counts
Very true....It's crazy but it's almost two completely different leagues pre and post Thanksgiving in the NFL. I don't mean that to dismiss anything Dak has done so far this year either. Comparatively speaking the guy has been a pretty good QB this year. It's looked very ugly at times, but that seems to be the NFL in 2023 though as defenses are making a major comeback. How that all translates over to December is going to really tell the story.