Dak has a larger cap hit than Mahomes!

Adreme

Reaction score
Dak had a 20m cap hit last year (on a 40m AAV) and Mahomes had 37m (on 45m AAV). When teams push cap hits into future years, what exactly did you think that meant? Did you think the restructuring made the hits vanish forever?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You obviously don’t understand the nfl if you think that is going to be Dak’s cap hit next season
It probably wont be, but the Cowboys have 3 options.

1) Eat the bulk of his cap hit now and create more flexibility next year or even more leverage in contract negotiations.
2) Restructure the deal push money into years he isn't even on the roster.
3) Extend Dak at an even higher AAV....the biggest piece here that worries me is that you are negotiating with Dak at a time when he has total control. The Cowboys need to get his cap number down and the first two options are not that great.

I think you're right that Dak's cap hit wont be that high, but I'm not sure the options to lower that hit are that great.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's already got money on 2 voided years, guess a little more won't hurt. But they probably extend him and that will not be cheap. remember one of the sticking points is Dak wanted his contract to end when tv money starts so he can cash in again. He's not dumb, they are not doing a team friendly deal, they know the Jones Girls will cave.

Ken

Reaction score
A dude that got outplayed by Brock Purdy in the playoffs has a larger cap hit than already top 5 GOAT (and rising) QB Mahomes.
It must stink going thru life not understanding anything?

Dak's contract can and will be reworked and he will count around 20 again this year.

Mahomes' contract cannot be reworked and he will count 50 mill.

Let me know if this is too much for you to get in one post.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A dude that got outplayed by Brock Purdy in the playoffs has a larger cap hit than already top 5 GOAT (and rising) QB Mahomes.
hey, you want my stick too? so you can keep beating a dead horse. lets see what you accomplish.!!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Mahomes took less so the chiefs can build around him. That contract will be a bargain. Reminds me of Tyron’s deal.
well, yes and know. he got a 450M contract. unprecedented in NFL. KC took a risk handing out that contract. but allowed them to manipulate the cap. Mahomes took a lot of upfront money, so as they say now, upfront money is worth a lot more than money down the line. it was risky for both, but worked out for both.