Dak haters face facts and take a beating

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Look, I was a strong Dak supporter after last year. But it should be clear to anyone who is objective that Dak regressed this year. And two things concern me beyond his supporting cast:
1. He was inaccurate on MANY throws. That has NOTHING to do with talent. He simply flat out missed opened receivers.
2. He was not able to elevate the team merely by his play alone. As an elite quarterback, we need him to win for us when the talent around him is not up to par. He didn't do that this year.

Now ...

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he just completed his second year. And he's not getting any help from Jason Garrett. So we'll see. But if the inaccuracies continue, we're in serious trouble because those don't tend to correct themselves. However, there is hope because he was pretty accurate his rookie year.

Dak's third year is going to be a big one for him and the Cowboys

More pressure=less accurate.

As far as elevating his team I can agree that is where I was most disappointed. But then lets remember we are talking about a 2nd year QB that really never went through any adversity. IF this was his 4th year and that all happened I would be more displeased.

JustChip

Reaction score
So you are saying that he really got going during crunch time in the 2nd half? Got it!!

300 yards and 3 TD's. Good thing we didnt ask him to win the game. :muttley:

I was a Romo fan. I'm also a Dak fan. Your last statement is ridiculous! He led the team back from 21-3 to tie the game in the last minute. We last because the defense couldn't stop Rodgers after that. The same as in 2014. Maybe a better statement is "good thing we didn't ask the defense to win the game."

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
All those things are true. But you can't deny the inaccuracies of his throws. He threw too high, he threw too low, he missed completely open guys. That has to concern you.

Now maybe he was pressing too much. Maybe we put too much on him. I'm hoping that's the case. But I'm very concerned about his accuracy, and this year is going to tell if this is a legitimate concern because it's difficult to fix accuracy at this point in a quarterback's career.

Im not concerned about it. With less experience, given time to throw and even on the run his rookie year and 8 games into his 2nd year he was plenty accurate. 103 QB rating average through 28 games. The problem occured when the personnel changed around him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was a Romo fan. I'm also a Dak fan. Your last statement is ridiculous! He led the team back from 21-3 to tie the game in the last minute. We last because the defense couldn't stop Rodgers after that. The same as in 2014. Maybe a better statement is "good thing we didn't ask the defense to win the game."

Dak did what he had to do. 300 yards and 3 TD's is doing what you need to do to win for your team. And yes we lost because the defense and Garrett caved.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I read somewhere we're going to make our offense Dak-friendly. I think that's a mistake because I believe that's how we ruined Romo's chances of competing for a Super Bowl.
But ... if we do, it's going to tell us a lot about Dak Prescott. Can he handle the pressure of an offense that runs through him? We're going to find out.

CWR

Reaction score
Lets just deal in facts so that we look at reality and not Romo cry baby fantasy:

These were the Daks stats in 2016 his rookie year. Not only did he win rookie of the year, but it was the 2nd best QB rookie season in NFL history. In short, its about as good as it ever gets for a QB:

2016: 3667 passing yards, 23 TD's and 4 picks, 68 % completion percentage and 104.9 QBR
282 yards rushing and 6 rushing TD's

Totally and completely off the charts.

2017 first 8 games of the season before Zeke suspension and Tyrone Smith injury:

2017: 1818 passing yards, 16 TD's and 5 picks, 102.85 QBR
195 rushing yards and 4 rushing TD's

If you double those totals for the first 8 games he was on pace for these numbers:
2017: 3636 passing yards, 32 TD's, 8 picks
390 rushing yards and 8 rushing TD's, 102.85 QBR

Those stats are almost identical, and you could argue even better than his rookie year. Passing TD's are on pace for 32 instead of 23. Rushing yards and TD's going up also. So he was on pace for improvement his 2nd year.

We all know what happened the last 8 games. Now can any of the Dak haters think of anything that changed starting with the Atlanta game that might have made a major impact on Dak's ability to do his job properly?

So when the facts are shown above they speak of a much different story then the one being told by the Romo cry babies. Dak is one hell of a QB and is all the way a franchise QB. Sure back up the Oline and Zeke will be back and there should be no reason why he isnt right back to continuing to improve.

I was all for keeping Dak in last year and moving on from Romo.

I, as most of us am completely aware of Daks stats and how amazing he was last year and the first eight games of this season.

I will not give the oline or the running game all the credit either. Dak made a ton of plays.

But stats dont say enough about how bad he was the last half of the season. He never pulled out of it after Atlanta. Maybe it was the pressure, maybe he got rattled, maybe the play calling sucked.

But regardless of cause it was less about stats and a hell of alot more about how he looked. His inacuracy and inconsistency were horrid. He took a massive step back.

I dont know how he will respond, but I hope you are right and hes just a young guy working through some kinks. At this point its pretty fair to be concerned. Hopeless, hell no, but concerned sure.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I read somewhere we're going to make our offense Dak-friendly. I think that's a mistake because I believe that's how we ruined Romo's chances of competing for a Super Bowl.
But ... if we do, it's going to tell us a lot about Dak Prescott. Can he handle the pressure of an offense that runs through him? We're going to find out.

I dont think that is what they are doing. This will always be a run first offense. As long as Zeke is here. I see them getting more speed at receiver. Guys that can actually get open on a more consistent basis. Dak seems to like more of the intermediate throws. He needs guys that can get some YAC. OR speed guys that actually can get a step going deep instead of a guy like Dez that is blanketed and you have to throw it up a prayer and hope he catches it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I, as most of us am completely aware of Daks stats and how amazing he was last year and the first eight games of this season.

I will not give the oline or the running game all the credit either. Dak made a ton of plays.

But stats dont say enough about how bad he was the last half of the season. He never pulled out of it after Atlanta. Maybe it was the pressure, maybe he got rattled, maybe the play calling sucked.

But regardless of cause it was less about stats and a hell of alot more about how he looked. His inacuracy and inconsistency were horrid. He took a massive step back.

I dont know how he will respond, but I hope you are right and hes just a young guy working through some kinks. At this point its pretty fair to be concerned. Hopeless, hell no, but concerned sure.

I have pause. How could you not? He played horrid. The whole offense did.

Reactions: CWR

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

But let me ask you this one question:

If Zeke doesnt get suspended and Tyrone Smith plays all 16 games does Dak have those issues or does the season continue like the first 24 games of his career?

starcity214

Reaction score
Been reading this board for a while and all of Romo's biggest critics , I.E. CowboyRoy and others , now seem to make Dak out to be the second coming when an unbiased fan would tell you that Dak is the definition of an average, journeyman QB in this league.

Look around the league. The bench is full of "Dak Prescotts " that had a lighnitnig in a bottle type of year.

Foles once threw for 30 something TD's and 2 picks in a season..

The argument is getting old to be honest.

Dak is what he is.

As CowboyRoy said , our best chance of winning is if we put the game in Zeke's hands..

That should tell you everything you need to know about Dak Prescott..

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Im not concerned about it. With less experience, given time to throw and even on the run his rookie year and 8 games into his 2nd year he was plenty accurate. 103 QB rating average through 28 games. The problem occured when the personnel changed around him.
The personnel changed around him? Who changed around him? He played with essentially the same players give or take a few here and there.
They got beat by the Rams, Packers, Broncos and Seahawks WITH Zeke. Who else did he need, and if he needs a complete team around him what does that say about his ability to elevate this team? Not much if you ask me.

CWR

Reaction score
But let me ask you this one question:

If Zeke doesnt get suspended and Tyrone Smith plays all 16 games does Dak have those issues or does the season continue like the first 24 games of his career?

I doubt it, at least not to that extent. Of course thats football and hopefully as his career progresses he will be able to overcome adversity.

One thing Ive noticed is when Dak forces the ball to Dez over and over our offense goes to crap.

Coaches have to find a way to open up the middle if the field and Beasley again.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The personnel changed around him? Who changed around him? He played with essentially the same players give or take a few here and there.
They got beat by the Rams, Packers, Broncos and Seahawks WITH Zeke. Who else did he need, and if he needs a complete team around him what does that say about his ability to elevate this team? Not much if you ask me.

Your not worth talking to about it. Hell, you dont even know what personnel changed around him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I doubt it, at least not to that extent. Of course thats football and hopefully as his career progresses he will be able to overcome adversity.

One thing Ive noticed is when Dak forces the ball to Dez over and over our offense goes to crap.

Coaches have to find a way to open up the middle if the field and Beasley again.

Agreed. Remember when Dez was hurt last year for like 6 games? Dak performed better. He didnt miss a beat without Dez.

rags747

Reaction score
I don't get the whole Romo haters or Dak haters thing at all. I mean is it possible to hate on Dak for any other reason than he actually sucked this year? His rookie yr from preseason on was fantastic and I was all aboard, his Soph year was pretty BAD. His third year will tell all whether he is the future of this franchise or not, if he sucks than I would imagine we will have a pretty high draft choice to go all in on one of the top qb's coming out. No way this team gives him a $100m contract next year unless he reverts back to the Dak of his rookie year.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don't get the whole Romo haters or Dak haters thing at all. I mean is it possible to hate on Dak for any other reason than he actually sucked this year? His rookie yr from preseason on was fantastic and I was all aboard, his Soph year was pretty BAD. His third year will tell all whether he is the future of this franchise or not, if he sucks than I would imagine we will have a pretty high draft choice to go all in on one of the top qb's coming out. No way this team gives him a $100m contract next year unless he reverts back to the Dak of his rookie year.

Agree

I was a big time Romo fan and I am also a Dak believer. It’s possibke to be both.

I really don’t understand the hatred between one side or another.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Been reading this board for a while and all of Romo's biggest critics , I.E. CowboyRoy and others , now seem to make Dak out to be the second coming when an unbiased fan would tell you that Dak is the definition of an average, journeyman QB in this league.

Look around the league. The bench is full of "Dak Prescotts " that had a lighnitnig in a bottle type of year.

Foles once threw for 30 something TD's and 2 picks in a season..

The argument is getting old to be honest.

Dak is what he is.

As CowboyRoy said , our best chance of winning is if we put the game in Zeke's hands..

That should tell you everything you need to know about Dak Prescott..

I was Romo's biggest supporter. But not at the end of his career with a broken back and brittle body. And not when the rookie is performing like he was.

As a coach I would pound Zeke. That was the strength of our team, its what couldnt be stopped and its what would keep Rogers off the field and our defense rested. Nothing to do with having a lack of confidence in Dak. NO different then hammering Emmitt Smith.

Yep, and Dak is what he is. A great young QB in only his second year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Dak had a hell of a year the first 8 games of this year. Facts are stubborn things.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agree

I was a big time Romo fan and I am also a Dak believer. It’s possibke to be both.

I really don’t understand the hatred between one side or another.

I like both QB's. I have wound up defending both against laughable critics.