Twitter: Dak: "I want to be one of the best to play this game"

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Wanting better and getting better are two different situations.

That's what gets lost in these discussions, what are the other realistic options? If they could have a shot at Herbert or Tua in this next draft, are they going to be any better? Or could they possibly be worse? Are the QB's taken ahead of Prescott in the 2016 draft really better?

Where is all gets funky is because it's the Dallas Cowboys. Fine for CIN to have Dalton or OAK to have Carr or any of these other teams that haven't won it all to have whatever QB they have but we are the Cowboys and deserve better.

Anyone have a real problem with this, do this little exercise, take a look at the QB's this FO took after Aikman, who was a no brainer, before they lucked into an UDFA QB. If they hadn't had that stroke of luck the Daktractors might be yelling "whatever he wants, pay the man".

gimme, everyone wants a Tier 1 QB, why do we think we deserve one?

You generally don't get one if you don't try. They are hard enough to find when you are attempting to do it.

If we commit to Dak now, and he has another up and down season this year or just a down one like 2017, it becomes harder to spend a first-round pick on a QB because you already have so much money invested in the position.

I don't think you get anywhere by playing it safe, by settling at one of the most important positions on the team. For me, either Dak clearly is a franchise QB or you go back to looking for one. Some teams have settled at the position because of what they've invested, and it has lowered the probability of them achieving Super Bowl success.

So, I guess I would rather go through lack of success looking for a franchise QB than settling for one who isn't good enough to get you a ring.

Again, I'm not saying Dak isn't good enough. I just don't feel we can say for certainty that he is yet. If we had a different coach, I don't think it would matter as much, but with Garrett, I believe we have to have one of the best QBs in the league in order to reach the Super Bowl ... unless we have an elite-level defense that can make up for the vanilla offense (which I am hoping Moore is allowed to change this year).

In fact, I think we had one of the best QBs in the league in Romo (especially near the end of his career) but not even that was enough to overcome the obstacles.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What ever you say, I couldn't care less what names you call me. Just some little man on the internet that needs attention.
I don't need attention. far from it....I just don't like BS and as a cowboy fan I tend to call out BS. you seem to have taken offense that I just didn't fall on the floor with my knees shaking because Dak said we are focused on winning a championship and its on us to get it done and I am improving....what a profound statement from Dak Guru...come on dude. stop being so sensitive

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t you see, after 23 years of the same 1 step forward and 2 back, it doesn’t matter that they scraped into the playoffs and got summarily bounce because the same HC and QB were there for the 3-5

Don’t you see that these minor “turnarounds “ happen to teams every year and are not indicative of the HC and QB being great because they were there for the downturn. There are always going to be little sequences where the team does ‘worse’ and then has a “turnaround “

That’s not a reflection of greatness, it’s a reflection of mediocrity

Garrett coached teams will ‘revert to the mean ie .500’ because that is who he and Dak are

Other pieces can pull them up a little in spurts but it is not sustained because it is really really tough to overcome a mediocre HC and QB

So there will always be downturns and turnarounds and that’s why we wont win a SB because that requires sustained excellence

It’s not about being negative
It’s about looking at information with eyes open

My apologies
I thought you want our team to win championships

I see now that Jerry and Jason have taught you to lower your expectations
Not lower expectations but I am not a SB or bust fan because winning one never did a damned thing for me. Winning one now wouldn't either.

One thing I left behind, entitlement. I realized how spoiled I had become with 20 winning seasons in a row, 8 trips, 5 rings and even when we won those 3 in the 90's, that didn't enrich my life and I had just moved back to Dallas from PA during Buddy Ball.

I realize some are SB or bust, there is no second, and that's fine for them but I learned to reduce a 16 game season into 16 1 game seasons with emphasis on the division games and some highlight matchups like the Rans and Saints.

As far as expectations, when has that done anyone any good with something they have no control over? I stopped making predictions because it didn't really matter. You speak of expectations, but which of us seems the disappointed one with 23 years of hopeless futility?

If a fan can be down after a season like the one we just had, I don't have much hope for them ever being happy. Hey, winning the SB won't be enough, they'll want more or feel they were let down.

visionary, if I felt as you do and some others here with that 23 year thing, I would have already been gone. Hell man, we've been watching a grown man play with his toy because he can. You either accept that or be frustrated or find a new team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Redline360

Reaction score
I really hope the best for him cause he definitely has the mentality, drive, and leadership however let's work on being in the top 10 quarterbacks currently playing first.

He's surrounded with one of the most talented teams we've seen in YEARS let alone around the league. Top tier defense, best running game going, top tier oline when healthy. You have your "one" wr...No more excuses

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
What are you 12?

Also, Romo didn't say he wanted to be among the best of the game, which was my point. Neither did any you copied and pasted. Sorry that you took all that time to Google and came up empty.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Note to self. Do not debate with CowboysFaninHouston, he has too much time on his hands for research. I am much more into the pullitouttamyass research.

It really isn't about wanting to get better, this is about being one of the best. If a Brees, Brady or Rodgers states that, it's more credible because they have much less to go to get there. This is a mid level QB who has already stated he wants to be the best DC QB ever.

All I am saying is it is fine to have those aspirations and dreams, just keep them to himself and leave the word "best" out of it. It is safe to assume 99.9% of the young players in the NFL want to improve.

And it could just be me tired of the all of the Cowboys talk, and little walk, all of these years. How many times did you hear Romo say "we gotta get better at that" in a post game pc?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What are you 12?

Also, Romo didn't say he wanted to be among the best of the game, which was my point. Neither did any you copied and pasted. Sorry that you took all that time to Google and came up empty.
I am 5...what is it to you?

and dude, just showed you a few samples... btw.there is this new thing called Google, you can put in any term and it finds you all kinds of articles on the internet that match it. try it......its a kick

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Note to self. Do not debate with CowboysFaninHouston, he has too much time on his hands for research. I am much more into the pullitouttamyass research.

It really isn't about wanting to get better, this is about being one of the best. If a Brees, Brady or Rodgers states that, it's more credible because they have much less to go to get there. This is a mid level QB who has already stated he wants to be the best DC QB ever.

All I am saying is it is fine to have those aspirations and dreams, just keep them to himself and leave the word "best" out of it. It is safe to assume 99.9% of the young players in the NFL want to improve.

And it could just be me tired of the all of the Cowboys talk, and little walk, all of these years. How many times did you hear Romo say "we gotta get better at that" in a post game pc?
LOL. really slow day today, usually I adopt the same philosophy you do.....its faster and easier

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am 5...what is it to you?

and dude, just showed you a few samples... btw.there is this new thing called Google, you can put in any term and it finds you all kinds of articles on the internet that match it. try it......its a kick
I masqueraded as an 11 year old girl one Friday night on the old DC.com and had these two guys going and one finally said "you sure do know a lot about football for an 11 year old girl". Brings a tear to my eye, even today. Nicest thing anyone ever said on these forums to me.

Rayman70

Reaction score
love ya Dak...you have the right winning attitude. You won't ever be considered one of the best ever. SORRY. That said, you don't need to be that. All you need to do is be good and help us win a SB.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He really can't say anything else but as far as his announcements are concerned he's got a bad track record...
Here-below is what he said before the Eagles came to town and ate our lunch.....

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Dak taking the next step is pretty much a requirement for the team to take the next step.

......and it seems logical that they will.

This team is just now coming of age, still one of the youngest groups in the league. The core has played together long enough to gel, so collectively and individually the team will likely continue to improve.

In a different thread, some writer was quoted as saying the Cowboys would not make the playoffs because they hadn't done enough during the offseason to improve.

However, the gains in experience and NFL IQ for this young group would almost certainly result in better play, regardless of other moves.

I remain encouraged, especially by attitudes like Dak's.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Personally, I never had a problem with fans/posters picking his game apart but to attack his motivation/determination to get better is odd...

Honestly I don't have a problem with motivation/determination, I'm just tired of these polished sound bites from JG and others in this organization. JG has mastered saying nothing at the podium and sounding like he's in control of this team when he adds minimal to the end result and I'm starting to think that Dak has taken after him in that category. They say all the right thing but the end results are the same in other words they talk better than they play/coach.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Alright now, you are getting carried away because they're not jumping off 10 story building the last 23 years, they won the East the last 3 of 5.

I have noticed that trend with the really unhappy posters about this team. They lump it all in a pile and do not look at some good years within those 23 just because they didn't go all the way.

They also discount the winning % of this QB with some poor throws. It becomes almost as if the good throws are all luck.

Whatever you want to feel or think, you can make a case for it. You can find stats for it. You can shore up any argument once you choose a side which is why I didn't choose one with Romo and haven't with Prescott.

vision, not singling you out at all but some posters don't even see a half empty glass, they've drained the glass. They've put this 23 years of futility and misery into a narrative with a large helping of entitlement.

One thing became apparently clear last season, there is just no making some people on this forum happy. When I ask posters where they thought this team was going at 3-5, I get no answer. When I say the QB and the HC are responsible for one of the best turnarounds in team history, all I get is 270 yards rushing in LA.

I went through those glory years but I learned to leave that behind, just as I have the last 23 years because it is a new season every season. The past doesn't matter and owes us nothing.
Well said, CC.