Dak is finally playing like an elite QB

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak is playing great, and I have not been much of a fan of him. I just want him to win another big one this year, came close against Philly, just need him to beat some of the best teams out there and earn his spot.
I hesitate to praise "coming close" when the end result is ultimately choking with mental gaffs that cost you the game (again). Still, for a good chunk of the game he was overcoming bad pass protection and that itself looked like an improvement.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Dak supporter here...

What is the next team we have with a decent secondary they runs heavy zone?

During this last 4 game stretch....how strong are the zone defenses we faced?

I ask because...the top critique from Dak critics is his ability to read zone. Last night, Giants went zone after halftime and Dak immediately threw and INT. Thats a win for the Dak critics that proclaim his issue is reading zone quick enough. Im not a film watcher or x and o's guy....but the majority or Daks INT's seem to be dumb throws into zone to the TE. Thats on Dak for sure...but I think thats uncreative play calling to beat zone. We are too predictable...and I guess that falls on Dak for taking the easy pass that defenses are sitting on and setting him up for.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
Yet, no one else is doing it. Washington lost to them and only put up 7 points. Buffalo beat them 14-9....Miami beat them 31-16....so I guess no one is a REAL QB.
They weren’t missing both starting corners against the other teams? also missing starting lb and multiple other injuries. When you are making your argument it would help to put in context as it’s easily explainable

RonWashington

Reaction score
The Giants are beat up have dissension from all accounts and are about on the level of the Jets & Patriots as measuring stick .

:facepalm:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They weren’t missing both starting corners against the other teams? also missing starting lb and multiple other injuries. When you are making your argument it would help to put in context as it’s easily explainable
They weren't missing their "starting corners" and Adoree Jackson sucks this year so it probably helped he wasn't out there.

But here's for context...who was missing when we beat them 40-0?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Now the Panthers is a must win. After that the Commanders & Seahawks will be much better competition as to where the offense is .

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You put "Dak is finally playing like an elite QB" as the subject. I wouldn't go that far however I will agree that his play (in the last 4 games) has taken a complete 180 for the better. Dak's "elite" play is "average" play for elite QB's. Sorry to say but it's the truth. if he was elite, he would be able to handle the 49ers defense and shove it straight up their (you know whats)... Someone is going to come back at me and say "you are contradicting yourself." https://cowboyszone.com/threads/hon...rs-doing-to-confuse-dak.516914/#post-13116575

No I'm not. I stand by what I said. I said "The 49 play 50/50 (+/-) zone/man coverage and because they disguise it so well, It's almost impossible for Dak to identify the difference on the field because of how fast the game is played"

An elite QB is going to pick up what the 49ers defense is doing every time...
This is stupid. The 49ers defense does that to basically every QB in the league.

The 49ers play ~77% zone, which is approx league average.
https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-fo...zone-coverage-performance-nfl-week-10-2023#SF

0 clue what you're talking about.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I guess my point is...I watch a lot of football.....and I Don't see "elite QB's" beating up "elite defenses" or team up every week. BTW, Josh Allen played this same team and won 14-9...19-30 for 169 Yards 2 TD's and a Interception....Bills were losing 0-6 entering the 4th quarter.
You just made my point ... Thanks... My comment was based on the subject line.

shabazz

Reaction score
Strength of opponents pass defense should always be considered in making proclamations of "elite play" by any quarterback

dacoming

Reaction score
These last four games have been the best Dak has ever played in my opinion. Something changed in this man and after the Giants game I knew this was a different man. For years, something didn’t feel right about how he played. He wasn’t horrible, but it felt like there was a barrier that he couldn’t overcome to lead us to greatness. If Dak can sustain this level of play through the playoffs, sign this man to a contract extension immediately!! The man is finally doing what I wanted a Cowboys qb to do!

Signed, a “Dak hater”
I hope it continues. The offense improves dramatically whe he uses his legs because defenses must account for that. The last several years it seems he stopped running completely. He has plenty of weapons.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
There is something different about his throwing motion and form too. His release seems quicker and tighter and there seems to be more zip on the ball. Maybe his footwork improved? Also his accuracy has been insane these past few weeks! There is definitely something different about his play.....something good!

erod

Reaction score
These last four games have been the best Dak has ever played in my opinion. Something changed in this man and after the Giants game I knew this was a different man. For years, something didn’t feel right about how he played. He wasn’t horrible, but it felt like there was a barrier that he couldn’t overcome to lead us to greatness. If Dak can sustain this level of play through the playoffs, sign this man to a contract extension immediately!! The man is finally doing what I wanted a Cowboys qb to do!

Signed, a “Dak hater”
Dak has had lots of midseason games like this.

December and January will tell us if he's made headway.

Beastsfromthenfceast

Reaction score
For the last two weeks anyway . Inconsistancy has been his problem for the last six years . I have never seen a QB go from the very top one week to rock bottom the next week like Dak does . One extreme to the other with no in between .

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He played like an elite QB against the Giants the first time too….. and the jets….. and the patriots. I don’t understand why his latest performance against the Giants proves anything different about him.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Dak had a good game, no question. He has been playing well lately. Consider this though:

Dak had 1 interception, plus another horrible pass that certainly should have been interception #2. Lucky Dallas was playing on their home field, against a weak opponent with a rookie QB making his first start. A two interception performance won't look so good on the road in the playoffs, against a good team.

Solid win.