Dak is finally playing like an elite QB

offlimits

Reaction score
These last four games have been the best Dak has ever played in my opinion. Something changed in this man and after the Giants game I knew this was a different man. For years, something didn’t feel right about how he played. He wasn’t horrible, but it felt like there was a barrier that he couldn’t overcome to lead us to greatness. If Dak can sustain this level of play through the playoffs, sign this man to a contract extension immediately!! The man is finally doing what I wanted a Cowboys qb to do!

Signed, a “Dak hater”
He was playing "elite" and a candidate for MVP before he broke his ankle a few years back.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As for whether or not Dak is "elite", it might help if everybody is on the same page as far as what that actually means:

ELITE: a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society:

So what does that mean in terms of NFL quarterbacks? I realize it is arbitrary but there are 32 starting QB's in the NFL and 32 backups. If half the teams were developing a quarterback then that is another 16 for a total of 80 quarterbacks in a season.

If we say that 10% of the quarterbacks are elite then we are talking about 8 of them. If it's 5% then we are talking about 4 quarterbacks. I am going to compromise and say that 6 QB's playing in the NFL are elite.

Well, if I start off with a combination of passer ratings and winning percentage, then it' going to look like I set the whole thing up in favor of Dak.

That's because Dak is 6th among all active quarterbacks in passer rating. He's also 6th in winning percentage.

Of course, playoff record is also high consideration. But this also presents some problems.

First of all, what is a better playoff record 2-2 or 2-4? The percentage is better with 2-2 but 2-4 implies that the QB was able to lead his team to a couple additional playoffs.

If I look at the playoffs winning percentage then my "elite" QB's include Jimmy Garoppolo and Russell Wilson. If I look at QB playoffs passer ratings it looks believable for the most part, although it seems a little dated when it includes Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson. Some benefited more than others because the team's defense was elite. Any statistical method used is going to devalue Lamar Jackson's unique set of skills.

In the end, the whole question of "elite" status comes down to individual perception, there really isn't a comprehensive formula to determine this. Even if there was, the variables used would be too numerous. The question itself will never provide an answer, only endless, pointless debate.
I think we can all agree Mahomes is elite. That is not a matter of perception. A QB becomes elite when their greatness is universally recognized. That does mean every game is a masterpiece. In regard to Dak, nobody outside of cowboy nation considers Dak elite or great. Like a lot of QBs he is capable of playing great. Heck , Sam Darnold looked like a HOF QB against us a few years ago.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Dak Is definitely playing like an elite quarterback, and I’m a long-standing critic of him. But credit must be given where credit is due. At this point the only thing missing from his game is his inability to pull off a victory when the game is on the line. He chokes. He has every time against a winning opponent. He needs to mentally learn to play the game, the exact same as he does, when the game is not on the line. Loose and relax. And make the play at the end of the game. Hence the Eagles game last week. The Cowboys are superior to the Eagles. We all saw it last week…. The Cowboys are the better team between the two. A true elite QB wins that game 75% of the time. We just need a quarterback that can keep cool, and do what he’s capable of. With Dak, When the game is on the line, he gets inside his head. If he would get over that he could lead this team to a championship.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
4 pages and the goalpost shifting is outrageous!

LysleE

Reaction score
Dak is playing well…but at an elite level? He is not an elite QB; he is a system QB in a simplified offense with some offensive playmakers and a good defense.

Dak has great stats…and he should given the level of competition he has faced: for the most part wins have been against teams with losing records; losses against teams with winning records. The exception of course is the Cardinals.

W- Giants (2-8)
W-Jets (4-5)
L-Cardinals (2-8)
W-Chargers (4-5)
W-Rams (3-6)
W-Patriots (2-8)
L-San Francisco (8-3)
L-Eagles (8-1)

Let’s see how Dallas fares against these teams before Dak is anointed an elite QB: Dolphins (6-3), Detroit (7-2), Seattle (6-3) and even Buffalo (5-5). Dallas still has one game remaining at home with the Eagles and two with Washington (4-6), whom Dallas split the series last season.

The only way to change the narrative of Dak and the Cowboys is to play consistently well and win against these teams.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You put "Dak is finally playing like an elite QB" as the subject. I wouldn't go that far however I will agree that his play (in the last 4 games) has taken a complete 180 for the better. Dak's "elite" play is "average" play for elite QB's. Sorry to say but it's the truth. if he was elite, he would be able to handle the 49ers defense and shove it straight up their (you know whats)... Someone is going to come back at me and say "you are contradicting yourself." https://cowboyszone.com/threads/hon...rs-doing-to-confuse-dak.516914/#post-13116575

No I'm not. I stand by what I said. I said "The 49 play 50/50 (+/-) zone/man coverage and because they disguise it so well, It's almost impossible for Dak to identify the difference on the field because of how fast the game is played"

An elite QB is going to pick up what the 49ers defense is doing every time...
Seems a lot has changed since the 49ers lost ..... Although Dallas still needs to beat them for me to think it's changed. No more talk, just finally get that monkey off their back.

It would be so poetic if Dallas gets that win in the playoffs this year. I actually want that game, cause it will be the same talk until Dallas beats them

erod

Reaction score
He played like an elite QB against the Giants the first time too….. and the jets….. and the patriots. I don’t understand why his latest performance against the Giants proves anything different about him.
He looked like Tommy DeVito against the 49ers. That's the problem.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Dak is not an "elite" QB, he's very good and capable of elite play. He just needs to play at a high level at the right time and the team as a whole has to elevate their play.

Right now the team is going in the right direction, especially given how uneven we looked earlier this year. The team as a whole needs to be peaking at the right time, not just Dak.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
These last four games have been the best Dak has ever played in my opinion. Something changed in this man and after the Giants game I knew this was a different man. For years, something didn’t feel right about how he played. He wasn’t horrible, but it felt like there was a barrier that he couldn’t overcome to lead us to greatness. If Dak can sustain this level of play through the playoffs, sign this man to a contract extension immediately!! The man is finally doing what I wanted a Cowboys qb to do!

Signed, a “Dak hater”
Whoa, slow down partner. It will only take one int, one failed drive resulting in a loss, or one great defense to slow him down, and this place will be a zoo again. It wasnt even enough for him to play well IN Philly. When the team loses a game, and they will, he’s garbage again.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
He's always played like this since he's stepped into the league. He's like every other quarterback that plays his best depending on the quality of the defense. Now his next bad game against a good defense all those yelling MVP now are going to be screaming for his ousting. It's like those people have a week to week memory. He's not a bad quarterback, and never was. When his supporting cast is good enough to win a Super Bowl if it happens he'll win.

conner01

Reaction score
Dak has 19 total TDs and only 6 turnovers
+13 after 9 games is really good. Really, many QBs would love to have +13 for a whole season.
It's good for 3rd best so far this year.

I think Romo owns the Cowboy record for an entire season and playoffs with a +27
Dak could top this if he stays on this pace and plays well in the postseason.

Fwiw, MVP Mahomes led the league last year with a +33 and MVP Rodgers the year before with an insane plus 36
Dak was plus 27 in 2021

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Signed, a “Dak hater”

Please post how many wins he has against teams with winning records this season.
Yes, Dak is great HOF bound and at least 3 SB rings are on their way!!!! :muttley:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Daks now playing great when he is expected to beat inferior teams. He has corrected the hiccups. I credit MM and Shotty for much of Daks improvement. They have him honed in.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak is playing well…but at an elite level? He is not an elite QB; he is a system QB in a simplified offense with some offensive playmakers and a good defense.

Dak has great stats…and he should given the level of competition he has faced: for the most part wins have been against teams with losing records; losses against teams with winning records. The exception of course is the Cardinals.

W- Giants (2-8)
W-Jets (4-5)
L-Cardinals (2-8)
W-Chargers (4-5)
W-Rams (3-6)
W-Patriots (2-8)
L-San Francisco (8-3)
L-Eagles (8-1)

Let’s see how Dallas fares against these teams before Dak is anointed an elite QB: Dolphins (6-3), Detroit (7-2), Seattle (6-3) and even Buffalo (5-5). Dallas still has one game remaining at home with the Eagles and two with Washington (4-6), whom Dallas split the series last season.

The only way to change the narrative of Dak and the Cowboys is to play consistently well and win against these teams.
Jets beat the Bills and Eagles. We hammered the Jets. You left that part out.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He's always played like this since he's stepped into the league. He's like every other quarterback that plays his best depending on the quality of the defense. Now his next bad game against a good defense all those yelling MVP now are going to be screaming for his ousting. It's like those people have a week to week memory. He's not a bad quarterback, and never was. When his supporting cast is good enough to win a Super Bowl if it happens he'll win.
great valid points. I bet ya the Bills wouldn't mind Dak right now running that offense, given the way Allen has disappointed. Just sayin. You put Dak with say, The Niners, I bet he wins a SB. He might not be elite, but he's damn good. Better than most. If we ever find an elite run game, watch out.