Dak is the 30th best starting QB in the NFL

Cannibal_Cowboy

Reaction score
You missed my point by a country mile. Let me clarify:

If a team has a top running game then you don't have to throw a ton to win, and that is borne out by the results of 2014, which was an NFL season, against at least 6 of the same teams - Commanders, Giants and Eagles. Of course they aren't the same teams today, that's a silly comment. I'm talking about how a team is set up, trying to make Dak into Brees isn't going to work, but some of you only think there's one way to win...
So what happens when,like this last game, Zeke gets 20 carries yet only 50 yards because the defense is loading 8 in the box to force Dak to pass? It doesn't matter how good your running game is, eventually your QB has to have some sort of success for the team to win. Your reasoning is pure baloney.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Per ESPN Stats....

DAK
Passing yards - 23rd
Pct - 28th
TDs tied at 24th
Rating - 27th
Total QBR - 26th

The Cowboys score 16.6 points per game. That is 30th in the NFL.

The Cowboys allow 19.2 points per game. That is 5th in the NFL.

InTheZone

Reaction score
The Cowboys score 16.6 points per game. That is 30th in the NFL.

The Cowboys allow 19.2 points per game. That is 5th in the NFL.
other stats.

In 2018 in 3 losses the Cowboys average 12.33 points a game.
In 2017 in 7 losses the Cowboys averaged 16 points a game
In 2016 in 3 losses the Cowboys averaged 13 points a game.
In 2014 in 4 losses the Cowboys averaged 15.25 points a game.

In 2018 in 2 wins the Cowboys average 23 points a game.
In 2017 in 9 wins the Cowboys averaged 26.88 points a game
In 2016 in 13 wins the Cowboys averaged 29.38 points a game.
In 2014 in 12 wins the Cowboys averaged 35.5 points a game.

Our offense has gotten worse every year since the Year of the Catch, and we've also had the corresponding season leading rusher for most of these games in each of these seasons.

Going back to the Falcons game we scored 7, 9, 6, 38, 30, 20, 12, 6 points in 2017 and 8, 20, 13, 26, 16 points in 2018. We're 6-7 in those last 13 games and one of them was the squeaker we barely won against backups with Dak starting, so more like 5-8 over the last 13 games.

Yeah it's clear we've had playcalling issues, but it's very clear someone is either regressing or not progressing at all since their rookie year. 38 games (not counting preseason) of experience and what exactly has this player improved on from the moment the play is called to when it ends, honest question?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So what happens when,like this last game, Zeke gets 20 carries yet only 50 yards because the defense is loading 8 in the box to force Dak to pass? It doesn't matter how good your running game is, eventually your QB has to have some sort of success for the team to win. Your reasoning is pure baloney.

Some sort of success, eh? Well, let's see:

2016 - 23 tds, 4 ints, 3,667 yards, qb rating of 104.9.

2017 - SF game: 3 tds,0 ints, qb rating of 141.7
- KC game: 2 ts, 0 ints, qb rating of 106.8
- NYG game - 3 tds, 0 ints, qb rating of 137.1

2018 - Detroit game: 2 tds, 0 ints, 255 yards, qb rating of 118.6

He's had success, give him a good running game and Dak's performance improves. Think the Goff's success with the Rams has nothing to do with Gurley's running? John Elway never won a SB until Terrell Davis' 2,000 yard rushing season came along. Several teams gave up on Jim Plunkett, but he won 2 SBs with the Raiders. Falcons let Favre go and how'd he turn out? Think Atlanta was too hasty to get rid of him.

If you feel Dak, after 37 games, has developed as much as he's going to, and will never be that good, I understand that. But I DON'T know that, I've said many times I am giving him this year to get better. Will he? Maybe, maybe not.

But to think he has a possibility of getting better isn't "baloney", though if you'll give me what successful NFL teams you've been a OC or quarterbacks coach of, I might reconsider...

kento40

Reaction score
This board is bizarre to me. Romo has the 4th best passer rating all time -- all time -- and so many people hated him and thought he sucked. Now we have a QB who struggles to pass over 200 yards a games for over a season and droves of people are defending him like it's other guys fault.

This baffles the hell out off me as well. People here will proclaim that Romo was overrated as an undrafted qb, but make tons of excuses, including that he's a 4th round pick and we should expect too much, for Dak.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
This board is bizarre to me. Romo has the 4th best passer rating all time -- all time -- and so many people hated him and thought he sucked. Now we have a QB who struggles to pass over 200 yards a games for over a season and droves of people are defending him like it's other guys fault.
a thousand likes!!

pansophy

Reaction score
Some sort of success, eh? Well, let's see:

2016 - 23 tds, 4 ints, 3,667 yards, qb rating of 104.9.

2017 - SF game: 3 tds,0 ints, qb rating of 141.7
- KC game: 2 ts, 0 ints, qb rating of 106.8
- NYG game - 3 tds, 0 ints, qb rating of 137.1

2018 - Detroit game: 2 tds, 0 ints, 255 yards, qb rating of 118.6

He's had success, give him a good running game and Dak's performance improves. Think the Goff's success with the Rams has nothing to do with Gurley's running? John Elway never won a SB until Terrell Davis' 2,000 yard rushing season came along. Several teams gave up on Jim Plunkett, but he won 2 SBs with the Raiders. Falcons let Favre go and how'd he turn out? Think Atlanta was too hasty to get rid of him.

If you feel Dak, after 37 games, has developed as much as he's going to, and will never be that good, I understand that. But I DON'T know that, I've said many times I am giving him this year to get better. Will he? Maybe, maybe not.

But to think he has a possibility of getting better isn't "baloney", though if you'll give me what successful NFL teams you've been a OC or quarterbacks coach of, I might reconsider...
So forget about his rookie year because defenses were playing us totally differently believing they needed to protect the outside of the field. Now they just crash the box to stop the run and take away inside routes that Dak is good at.

So basically you are saying that in the 4 games since 2017 that we have been able to run despite this approach, Dak has been successful. Imagine what the running game would look like if Dak could pass teams out of crashing the box.

Dak can improve, but to this point I haven't seen evidence of it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So forget about his rookie year because defenses were playing us totally differently believing they needed to protect the outside of the field. Now they just crash the box to stop the run and take away inside routes that Dak is good at.

So basically you are saying that in the 4 games since 2017 that we have been able to run despite this approach, Dak has been successful. Imagine what the running game would look like if Dak could pass teams out of crashing the box.

Dak can improve, but to this point I haven't seen evidence of it.

I never said I'm sure he can improve, but I prefer to take the optimistic view of Dak, can't wallow in "woe is us, Dak sucks" viewpoint. He also has FOUR new receivers, and Witten got nearly all of the looks at tight end last year, so Swaim is also essentially new. As Jerrry said himself, the Cowboys don't have a true number 1 receiver. How good would Mahomes be without Kelce, Hill and Hunt? How good would Goff be without Gurley, etc.?

I just think Dak's problems aren't all on Dak, but you can't assume his struggles are entirely under his control, as I can't assume they aren't...