Dak never below .500 vs Watson garbage time stats

khiladi

Reaction score
Watson has never had an OL or RG like Dak has had and the difference between the two, when down by seven in the fourth, this year are like night and Daks. Has Dak ever been sacked over sixty times in a season? Watson was WAY MORE clutch, while being sacked way more, while Dak’s stats were nothing but garbage time stats.

In fact, for all the excuses made for the ‘defense’ of Dak, the Texans have been ranked way worse pretty much every year Watson was starting. Dak has had a top half scoring defense every season he played except for this year, while it was Dalton who played with that garbage way more games than Dak.

I mean how many excuses we got to hear about Dak every year? I mean a statistically insignificant starting field position, meaning special teams, was another excuse just last year. A whopping three yard difference in starting field position between Dallas and the top ranked teams was the main excuse, but when Dak got to the red-zone he was complete mediocrity. But when a guy like Watson gets sacked like 62 times in one season, while Dak is pretty much fielding a top five pass protection OL every year he is here, Dak-mania is completely ‘ignorant’...

Last edited:

Lutonio

Reaction score
Like I said previously. In 20 years when you're looking at Prescott's career stats on Pro Football Reference it will show Prescott was 2-3 for the season. That is his 2020 season. He will be sub .500.

The asterisk will be he was injured. But it won't change the fact.
Come on. You’re arguing technicalities and semantics. You know exactly what the original post and people here are taking about in regards to this discussion. I get the feeling you don’t get invited to many parties.

khiladi

Reaction score
Again, Dak and Watson are not the same player. Let’s look at this year for example.

In the last quarter, when down by seven:

Dak

22/36 61.1% 4.6 YPA 0 TDs 1 INT 2 sacks

Watson

55/71 77.5% 10.4 YPA 6 TDs 1 INT 8 sacks

Where is all the yards by Dak, when the game is close and on the line, per the stats. Even going by the sacks, Watson is getting sacks 1 times every 8 attempts, while Dak is getting sacked 1 time every 16 throws. And he’s doing it while checking down to a whopping less than 5 YPA.

And again, as I’ve stated many times, Dak is below league average in terms of QB rating when down by a 1-8 with four minutes to go, meaning if the Cowboys actually needs to rely on his arm to win, they end up sucking. This idea Dak is clutch all goes back to 2016, when he was a game manager, with a completely dominant line and he didn’t make mistakes. Nobody disputes that Dak can manage a game when he has an all-pro line and a RG wearing out defensive fronts, but he hasn’t showed anything in fives years to lead you to believe he can carry a team on his back.

Dak is the biggest paper-Tiger out there. Heck, if you want to talk about garbage time stats this year, even Watson can do it better when down 9-16 points

87 of 111 at a 77% 10 YPA clip 9 TD and 1 INT
42 of 61 at a 68% clip 8.8 YPA 3 TD and 1 INT

And Dak’s WRs are way better and he didn’t have Bill O’Brien or a garbage OL and his best WR traded away...

If you get a chance to swap Watson and Dak, especially if the OL is back to normal and Zeke still showing at times he can do it, you do it in a heartbeat, no questions asked based on the stats and supporting cast.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Why would you remove a season, though?

Players and teams change significantly in a period of 5 years. Sometimes, they turn over talent completely in a period of 5 years. I don't think it's the best policy to look at what players have done early on and ignore recent trend. I think that leads to trouble.

JMO

khiladi

Reaction score
How was Romo overpaid? He was never paid as the highest starting QB in the league. He was the highest paid QB ever in OUR franchise history, but he also did is contract to save money for the team and give them more money to play with. Contrary to Dak, he actually worked with the team to get better players.

Additionally, Romo actually used the contract negotiations to remove power from Garrett and give himself more input into drafting, which led to Frederick being picked, the actual offensive game-planning. That’s why 2014 MVP season happened. It’s one of the biggest tragedies in Cowboys history that when he finally got Garrett out of the way, the all-pro line was finally built, he got benched for a mediocre QB based on some temporary success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fans need to remember that these QB’s contracts aren’t determined solely by their talent level but also their value to the franchise.

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo’s contract:

https://www.nfl.com/news/tony-romo-signs-108m-contract-with-dallas-cowboys-0ap1000000155364

The Cowboys had been talking with Romo's camp on and off after hoping to sign the 32-year-old quarterback to an extension last summer.

As Rapoport reported Thursday, a clause in Romo's contract stipulated that the Cowboys could not franchise-tag him if no deal was reached by the end of the 2013 league year, effectively making him a free agent. That handed significant leverage to Romo, but instead of parting ways, he'll remain with the Cowboysdeep into the future.

Romo was set to count $16.8 million against the salary cap in 2013, but a reworked extension will allow the Cowboys to lower that figure and add additional pieces to the puzzle.

The Cowboys wanted to re-negotiate to create cap room, which Romo did. Romo could have easily demanded way more, because of the “no franchise” clause but he didn’t. Dak, on the other hand, with an all-pro line and RG tried to play the game, like he was Romo, carrying a bunch of mediocre bums, as if Jerry forgot Zeke six-game suspension and Dak pre-Amari Cooper, rejected the extension offer and the next year tried to get paid like an elite QB, based off garbage time stats with a STACKED ROSTER.

If anything, Romo used his leverage to better the team, primarily from an OC and RG standpoint. There is a reason that after one year of a revamped OL and RG, meaning 2012, Jerry gave Bill Callahan play-calling duties over basically his adopted son, Garrett, even though Garrett kept interfering.

Last edited:

IheartRomo

Reaction score
His supporters would have you believe that Dak is better than Rodgers and Brady

I don't think this is true. Dak is a very good QB but will never be Mahomes/Rodgers/Brady. He's in that 4-10 range for QBs - well above average but not transcendent. Most Dak supporters believe this to be the case. I don't think I've seen many (if any) posters claiming he is a Mahomes type player.

jjktkk

Reaction score
its about when....what do you think Rodgers would demand today? not what he got years ago.....the timeline matters...

and did Rodgers win a superbowl all by him lonesome self? did Mahomes? seriously dude....
"seriously dude" would be you trying to imply Prescott is just as talented as Rodgers and Mahomes. You do watch NFL football right?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Players and teams change significantly in a period of 5 years. Sometimes, they turn over talent completely in a period of 5 years. I don't think it's the best policy to look at what players have done early on and ignore recent trend. I think that leads to trouble.

JMO

Noted, but then I would make the argument that you should just look at the last couple of years. Although, I'm not a QB wins guy.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Noted, but then I would make the argument that you should just look at the last couple of years. Although, I'm not a QB wins guy.

I actually made a post earlier that showed the first three years of Dak's career and the winning percentage and the last two years and the associated winning percentage.

It's about winning and more importantly, being good enough to win championships. In season winning percentage obviously plays a role in that. Can't win if you aren't good enough as a team and you can't be good enough, as a team, if you don't have the cap to work with in order to improve.