Dak Next Contract Idea (Sturm)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by movaughn88, Dec 5, 2018.

1. movaughn88

movaughn88 Well-Known Member

947 Messages
    1,581 Likes Received
    Fist of all, if you think Dak is terrible and want to be rid of him as soon as possible, then you will probably just make the barf emojis as a reply to this, so perhaps click the "back" button on the ol' browser.

Bob Sturm had an interesting radio segment yesterday doing a pro/con about extending Dak, and then he pitched a contract idea for extending Dak. Here is the audio of the full convo, which is quite interesting:
    http://usave.it/media/rec-2x84t3xZEu6L3m161MW8.mp3
    (I listened to it and didn't hear any profanity, mods if its still not a proper link pls delete this post)

His idea is this: a 5 year $100m contract extension....fully guaranteed.

It comes out to something like $16.8m AAV for the next 6 years (next year stays around $800k), so about a $10m discount to what most FA starting QB's are signing. He thinks Dak would sign it, and the guarantee buys the team a significant discount.

Personally, I was thinking a reasonable extension with a 2-3 year out since we don't have any decent way to find an upgrade for at least 2 years, but I almost buy into this idea because even if he's what he has been, which is a grade "B" QB, it doesn't cripple the cap and money can be spent on the team around him. Let's get to arguing.

Bullflop, VACowboy, Mr_C and 11 others like this.
  2. Corso

Corso Merry Happy Joy Joy Zone Supporter

14,797 Messages
    23,533 Likes Received
  3. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

9,008 Messages
    8,208 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

pjtoadie, Bullflop, Vanilla2 and 5 others like this.
  4. J12B

J12B Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    I could live with this.

5. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

7,035 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    I think 5 is too long. 3, $60 is more realistic and we look for another QB or that's all he has to prove he is a top 10 type QB....

Proof, Nightman, Swanny and 4 others like this.
  6. Bob-Lillys-War

Bob-Lillys-War Well-Known Member

4,820 Messages
    5,068 Likes Received
    Sounds as the best option, as Jerry is already decided to sign him no matter what .

waving monkey likes this.
  7. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

5,190 Messages
    2,875 Likes Received
    He can play out his deal and then perhaps get tagged.

JBond, InTheZone, csirl and 3 others like this.
  8. irishline

irishline Well-Known Member

1,166 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    There are pros and cons to it as you said. Before we get to that, a FA QB is not going to have his first year at $800k on a rookie contract, so you are using the last year of that contract to argue that his new one is really $3.2 million less per year than it really is. It is true but not an apples to apples comparison.

My only issue is that if he turns out not to be what we believe he can become we can't cut him for a minimum of 4 years because his cap hit from the guarantee would be astronomical. Heck even after 4 years his dead money (because of the guarantee) would be $40 million. You cut him 3 years from now (referencing your "out") his guarantee would be $60 million right on the cap (I believe).

Not a bad idea per se, but loaded with a lot of variables that could be problematic. Then again he could develop like we all hope then it would be a home run. Who knows, but a potentially scary who knows.

movaughn88 likes this.
  9. movaughn88

947 Messages
    1,581 Likes Received
    I think it's too long as well (what happens if you have to cut him in year 4) but I don't think he would sign 3/$60m. By all means, start there, and maybe get to 4/$80, but just pretend he hits FA after next season and we win 9 games. He'd get way over $100m in the free market 1.5 years from now.

CowboysFaninHouston, Bobhaze and J12B like this.
  10. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

7,590 Messages
    2,488 Likes Received
    $100M fully guaranteed? As an owner, that would be a hard pill to swallow. If things went wrong, it would take a while to get out from that contract. So, I would rather offer a higher base with less guaranteed money.

pjtoadie and beware_d-ware like this.
  11. movaughn88

947 Messages
    1,581 Likes Received
    I think that's the world we have to think in. Jerry has given up leverage and married himself to him.

12. baltcowboy

baltcowboy Well-Known Member

842 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    If Dak signed that contract, the Cowboys would get a steal. He would never sign that contract. His agent has all the leverage.

plasticman likes this.
  13. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

8,230 Messages
    11,418 Likes Received
    Looooool! That’s the funniest thing I’ve seen in weeks.

black label and Corso like this.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

92,242 Messages
    16,995 Likes Received
    BAT, VACowboy, CowboyMike and 4 others like this.
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

19,022 Messages
    4,533 Likes Received
    That's the same amount of guaranteed money as Aaron Rodgers.

16. charron

charron Well-Known Member

1,885 Messages
    1,996 Likes Received
    Give him the cousins treatment while simultaneously drafting another QB to be groomed as a backup/ potential starter.

cowboyeric8, csirl and Jarv like this.
  17. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Well-Known Member

2,719 Messages
    7,743 Likes Received
    I heard Bob Sturm explain this on air yesterday and it makes a ton of sense because it would actually be a good deal for the team because of its structure. It would allow the team to provide a big bonus while lowering his cap hit on a yearly basis.

QBs these days, even average ones like Blake Bortles and Ryan Tannehill, and even worse, the china doll Sam Bradford have all received bigger and worse deals than what Sturm proposed.

BAT, 408Cowboy, Irvin88_4life and 3 others like this.
  18. cern

cern Well-Known Member

4,530 Messages
    5,465 Likes Received
    I put my faith in Stephen to come up with a good deal for both parties. always easy to be cavalier with someone else's money.

Techsass likes this.
  19. baltcowboy

baltcowboy Well-Known Member

842 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    Dak has one of the top QB agents. If the Cowboys make it to the second round of the playoffs his agent will try to break the bank. He changed agents for a reason.

starcity214 likes this.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

19,022 Messages
    4,533 Likes Received
    So? The same amount of guaranteed money as Aaron Rodgers is breaking the bank.

Hoofbite and Gator88 like this.