Dak Next Contract Idea (Sturm)

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Guaranteed money is king and there is no way in hell Dak would pass up $100 mil guaranteed, but the team would never offer that. It just leaves you financially buried if anything goes wrong.

Cousins got $81 million guaranteed, and Dak isn't nearly as good as Cousins.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He only has leverage if Jerry is dead set on resigning Dak.
I walk into the negotiating room and hand the agent my offer fully prepared to move on from Dak.
Who are you going to replace Dak with? He can't go anywhere. I think he is a bargain under the contract he has. That is why I like him. A horrible contract like Cousins, Jimmy G, and Stafford. No thanks.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then you should move on from him. The option is either to re-sign him or to let him go. There's no in-between. It makes ZERO sense to franchise tag him for that much money. And then he has to battle it out lol? Cousins was getting historical contracts with that franchise tag. Had the Deadskins signed him initially they would've got Cousins for a bargain.
They were not sold he was the franchise; just like I am not sold Dak is. Some good QB's coming out in 20, get through 19 and decide then. I'd rather spend 30M on a tag, even back to back, than tie it up for 6 years and eat dead money. If they plan for it, they can do it.

However, while I am not sold that he's a Tier 1 QB; I am not sold that if they put the right kind of team around him and let him manage the game, that he can't be a championship QB. The question is can and will they do that.

And while we mull over these numbers and talk about other highly paid QB's, how are they doing? Brady, Flacco, Manning and Rothliesberger are the only multiple active ring bearers. A team does not have to have a Tier 1 QB, see Flacco and Manning, to get Lombardi's.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are pros and cons to it as you said. Before we get to that, a FA QB is not going to have his first year at $800k on a rookie contract, so you are using the last year of that contract to argue that his new one is really $3.2 million less per year than it really is. It is true but not an apples to apples comparison.

My only issue is that if he turns out not to be what we believe he can become we can't cut him for a minimum of 4 years because his cap hit from the guarantee would be astronomical. Heck even after 4 years his dead money (because of the guarantee) would be $40 million. You cut him 3 years from now (referencing your "out") his guarantee would be $60 million right on the cap (I believe).

Not a bad idea per se, but loaded with a lot of variables that could be problematic. Then again he could develop like we all hope then it would be a home run. Who knows, but a potentially scary who knows.
Don't cut him, keep him as a backup if he doesn't pan out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you could get that deal that is a good deal for both sides.

If you kick the can it'll likely cost far more.

20M a year for a starting QB would be 16th highest with that number obviously dropping.
And while 100M GTD is a massive amount 12 QBs have 60 or more GTD already.

So yes, I'd take that deal and be glad to have it.

At 20M a year this team will not be cash strapped at the position.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Don't cut him, keep him as a backup if he doesn't pan out.

That is a really good point. If you are saving $10M per year on his contract, you could draft his replacement and still afford to have an expensive backup for a couple of years.

HanD

Reaction score
One year at $800,000 and another at $25 million gives you an average of $13 million for the two years. A bargain in today’s NFL and needed evaluation time.
I love the idea but first he'd be disgruntled .Which could be fine. Second I rather save the tag for others like Zeke or others in case we need it .

Lastly, second year tag is 120% so it'd be 800k, 25m, 30m which would equal avg 18.6m. which is still less than proposed but 1.4 avg annually is not enough to lose use of the tag and piss off a player in negotioations imo .

I like the Jimmy g type contract .5yr 100 with out after 3 year .

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak has one of the top QB agents. If the Cowboys make it to the second round of the playoffs his agent will try to break the bank. He changed agents for a reason.
Dak hasn't made any real money and you'd be handing him not only a large bonus for more than his families combined generational wealth for all of history but also 100M GTD ensuring he leaves a wealth legacy to future generations.
The real pay day for Dak will come if he does show improvement and hits that 3rd contract as a proven starter and occasional Pro Bowler.
At that point you may have to double his salary to 40M per given inflation.

Ken

Reaction score
He can play out his deal and then perhaps get tagged.
I am as big a Dak fan as there is and I am not opposed to this. Or at least playing into next year and signing mid season. I see no rush this offseason.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He can play out his deal and then perhaps get tagged.
Then you walk right about into Romoland where the QB makes so much you can't do a thing around him.
See also Rodgers and Russell Wilson.

If you can lock up a team friendly QB contract you do so.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Wanting to give Dak friggin Prescott 100 million guaranteed should put to bed the notion that this Sturm dude is intelligent.

He should have been smacked off the air.
giphy.gif

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
An incredible stat in this segment is that since 2001, there have been 28 QBs taken outside the top 5 of the first round. Only 6 of those 28 started more than 5 years for their team. Really only 2 of them (Rodgers, Big Ben) are top 10 QBs in the league.

So unless you want to burn it all down after this season, we aren't picking in the top 5 anytime soon. 2 out of 28 (7% chance) doesn't sound like great odds for our 2020 1st rounder. Finding QBs is hard.

We have a QB but we don't have anything close to Rodgers or Ben. We could sign bortles in the off season and start him next year without missing a beat. There are plenty of average to below average guys who can produce similar stats here.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah that worked out well for the Deadskins.....they are trotting out Sanchez in there this week because they wanted to lowball Cousins after botching on RGIII.

and if Dak goes down we would be wishing we had sanchez. They didn't want to pay cousins but the vikings did and how is he doing there? They were right to sign smith, injuries cant be helped.