Dak Next Contract Idea (Sturm)

movaughn88

Reaction score
Give him the cousins treatment while simultaneously drafting another QB to be groomed as a backup/ potential starter.

An incredible stat in this segment is that since 2001, there have been 28 QBs taken outside the top 5 of the first round. Only 6 of those 28 started more than 5 years for their team. Really only 2 of them (Rodgers, Big Ben) are top 10 QBs in the league.

So unless you want to burn it all down after this season, we aren't picking in the top 5 anytime soon. 2 out of 28 (7% chance) doesn't sound like great odds for our 2020 1st rounder. Finding QBs is hard.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No, no, no! Unless they make the NFC Champioship game. Playing out his rookie deal and then tagging him gets you 2 more years at an average of $13-14 million a year. That is more reasonable and allows you the time to determine if he is truely worthy of a long term deal. I like Dak but he hasn’t yet earned $100 million or a 5 year commitment.

romothesavior

Reaction score

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
No, no, no! Unless they make the NFC Champioship game. Playing out his rookie deal and then tagging him gets you 2 more years at an average of $13-14 million a year. That is more reasonable and allows you the time to determine if he is truely worthy of a long term deal. I like Dak but he hasn’t yet earned $100 million or a 5 year commitment.
I thought the tag values for QB are going to be 25 then 30 mil? Where is the 13-14 coming from?

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I think that's the world we have to think in. Jerry has given up leverage and married himself to him.
Wow, didn't know Jerry went that way?!! When are we going to see the "Victoria's Secret For Men" open up shop at Jerryworld?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Show me the money (Play-off wins) before I'd jump at signing him for 9 digits.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I thought the tag values for QB are going to be 25 then 30 mil? Where is the 13-14 coming from?

One year at $800,000 and another at $25 million gives you an average of $13 million for the two years. A bargain in today’s NFL and needed evaluation time.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
One year at $800,000 and another at $25 million gives you an average of $13 million for the two years. A bargain in today’s NFL and needed evaluation time.
Ah... I savvy.

robertfchew

Reaction score
I think it's too long as well (what happens if you have to cut him in year 4) but I don't think he would sign 3/$60m. By all means, start there, and maybe get to 4/$80, but just pretend he hits FA after next season and we win 9 games. He'd get way over $100m in the free market 1.5 years from now.

Who would sign him? The skins? Jags?

Flamma

Reaction score
His idea is this: a 5 year $100m contract extension....fully guaranteed.

It comes out to something like $16.8m AAV for the next 6 years (next year stays around $800k), so about a $10m discount to what most FA starting QB's are signing. He thinks Dak would sign it

Of course he signs it! No need to think. But I would not guarantee that much money over 5 years. I would raise the top end and have most of the guaranteed money in the first 2 years and a portion of it in the 3rd year. If he doesn't pan out Dallas can release him after 2-3 years. The team has to protect itself in this situation. And Dak will walk away with around 50-60 Mil. I'm not throwing in the towel yet on this QB, just leaving the option open. I think with better OLine play his play will start to look more like 2016 as well.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not extend him at all next season, I'd let him play it out and then decide whether to bite the bullet and tag him ala Cousins or extend him. I would also bring in another QB to challenge him.

A QB that leads the league in putting the ball on the ground and holding it too long with little pocket presence isn't worth a 100M contract now.

Hardline

Reaction score
If Dak signed that contract, the Cowboys would get a steal. He would never sign that contract. His agent has all the leverage.
He only has leverage if Jerry is dead set on resigning Dak.
I walk into the negotiating room and hand the agent my offer fully prepared to move on from Dak.

ShortRound

Reaction score
giphy.gif

omg

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would not extend him at all next season, I'd let him play it out and then decide whether to bite the bullet and tag him ala Cousins or extend him. I would also bring in another QB to challenge him.

A QB that leads the league in putting the ball on the ground and holding it too long with little pocket presence isn't worth a 100M contract now.

Then you should move on from him. The option is either to re-sign him or to let him go. There's no in-between. It makes ZERO sense to franchise tag him for that much money. And then he has to battle it out lol? Cousins was getting historical contracts with that franchise tag. Had the Deadskins signed him initially they would've got Cousins for a bargain.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He only has leverage if Jerry is dead set on resigning Dak.
I walk into the negotiating room and hand the agent my offer fully prepared to move on from Dak.
Yeah but his agent isn't stupid. He knows that the Cowboys are in win/now mode with a young team and he also knows if they let Dak go then the best quarterback free agent on the market is.....Dak. So we can sit here and pretend like Jerry has leverage but he doesn't. Unless he wants people to think Mike White and Cooper Rush are the future and if that' the case then he needs to start getting them on the field .

Hardline

Reaction score
Yeah but his agent isn't stupid. He knows that the Cowboys are in win/now mode with a young team and he also knows if they let Dak go then the best quarterback free agent on the market is.....Dak. So we can sit here and pretend like Jerry has leverage but he doesn't. Unless he wants people to think Mike White and Cooper Rush are the future and if that' the case then he needs to start getting them on the field .
His contract isn't up this year. Jerry has leverage also. There's no reason to even consider renegotiating an extention.