Twitter: Dak on his contract: "Sure, I'm deserving"

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well about that lol , they fired Trent, after winning SB, got a better QB, they went 10 years with no SB's after that.
Maybe they should have kept Trent ?? If it aint broke dont fix it !

Pittsburgh did about the same thing, fired O donnell , and didnt get back to a SB for 10 years.
So....if we get rid of dak....it'll be 10 years?

At this rate I'll take it.

But seriously it was because of just the qb they didn't get back?

Creeper

Reaction score
So the question is not paying Dak, the question is paying a top 10 QB, fair market price
I don't know that you can look at the top paid QBs in the league and deduce that they are getting paid based on any kind of market pricing. I think it is more about owners being stupid. Take Trevor Lawrence for example. How is he worthy of $55 million per year, $10 million more than Patrick Mahomes? How is he worth more than Jared Goff? I don't think we are dealing with a problem of real value anymore. And I don't think I would use the word, "fair" to describe the market.

I understand supply and demand, but the NFL players are not in a free market because of the salary CAP. Owners are basing contracts on what other payers they have to pay, especially in Dallas's case. If not for teh CAP I believe Jerry would give Dak $60 million without batting an eyelash.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
In the final analysis, I believe the Cowboys are a team that's cursed with a situation where their team's mental conditioning just isn't conducive to winning in the playoffs. I feel Dak is as much a victim of that condition as those on the team who've been experiencing it for a very long time now. Jerry and Stephen are forever at the forefront of these problems that seem to persist indefinitely.

Last edited:

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I was listening to Colin cowherd interview Jimmy Johnson and they asked him about these QB contracts. Jimmy said there's a problem in the NFL and that's that good quarterbacks want to get the same amount of money as great quarterbacks.
The quarterbacks don’t pay themselves. Owners, collectively, decide what quarterbacks should be paid. How this is the fault of the quarterbacks is nonsense. Jimmy Johnson should think before he shoots his mouth off. If there’s a problem it’s that owners pay good quarterbacks the same amount as great quarterbacks. Half the starting quarterbacks in the NFL are paid as much or more than Prescott. Unless Dak’s agent is as dumb as a stump that is not going to continue.

As for “the brotherhood” talk, you can bet dollars against donuts NFL quarterbacks and players expect Dak Prescott to parlay his performance on the field to compensation commensurate with what other quarterbacks are being paid. And Todd France is going to be judged by potential clients on what he can do for Dak Prescott on his next contract.

Jerry Jones can pay Dak or not pay Dak, that’s his business. If he’s concerned about how much Dak expects to be paid he need only look at what other owners have already done to understand why. As for Jimmy Johnson helping his network keep eyeballs on Cowherd, news flash, it’s not the 90’s anymore. Stick to fishing for wahoo.

coult44

Reaction score
I don't know that you can look at the top paid QBs in the league and deduce that they are getting paid based on any kind of market pricing. I think it is more about owners being stupid. Take Trevor Lawrence for example. How is he worthy of $55 million per year, $10 million more than Patrick Mahomes? How is he worth more than Jared Goff? I don't think we are dealing with a problem of real value anymore. And I don't think I would use the word, "fair" to describe the market.

I understand supply and demand, but the NFL players are not in a free market because of the salary CAP. Owners are basing contracts on what other payers they have to pay, especially in Dallas's case. If not for teh CAP I believe Jerry would give Dak $60 million without batting an eyelash.
If not for the cap, Jerry would’ve paid him 100M.

Here’s what you have to understand.
Fair market value is not just about performance anymore, it’s about how the market responds to the performance. You either have to get lucky and draft Mahomes or you have to keep paying someone because of what Mahomes has done.

Mahomes is the exception when it comes to contracts. He signed a 10 year, nearly 1/2 billion dollar deal. Nobody wants any other QB for 10 years. Perhaps Stroud will get that. When it’s all said and done , he’s gonna make close to a billion because of what the superbowls have given him with football, and related business. He knows that, so the APY isn’t as important to him. You can’t really include him in the market value discussion because of the length of the contract. Guys like Dak, Tua, and Love aren’t ever going to reach his stardom or financial success. They will never have the opportunity to sign even 5 year deals. Getting huge APY is different for them. That is how FMV is created for these guys.

During the next CBA this issue is going to lead to a huge change in how the cap works. QBs aren’t going to be included in the normal cap. There is going to be a separate cap for QBs altogether.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So....if we get rid of dak....it'll be 10 years?

At this rate I'll take it.

But seriously it was because of just the qb they didn't get back?
well first dallas would have to win a super bowl with dakko, then it would apply.
I cant say for sure, but I think if you win a SB or just get to one with a qb, that you should keep that qb 1 more year and see what happens.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I believe, based on CAPflation, other QB contracts, and his overall performance, he should get about $55 million. Jordan Love and Trevor Lawrence both got $55 million and it is hard to argue those QBs are better than Dak right now.
dak wont settle for 55 lol.
he wants the big bag ! 65-70 million . You know he has to maintain that 50yd football field he has in his backyard !

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If not for the cap, Jerry would’ve paid him 100M.

Here’s what you have to understand.
Fair market value is not just about performance anymore, it’s about how the market responds to the performance. You either have to get lucky and draft Mahomes or you have to keep paying someone because of what Mahomes has done.

Mahomes is the exception when it comes to contracts. He signed a 10 year, nearly 1/2 billion dollar deal. Nobody wants any other QB for 10 years. Perhaps Stroud will get that. When it’s all said and done , he’s gonna make close to a billion because of what the superbowls have given him with football, and related business. He knows that, so the APY isn’t as important to him. You can’t really include him in the market value discussion because of the length of the contract. Guys like Dak, Tua, and Love aren’t ever going to reach his stardom or financial success. They will never have the opportunity to sign even 5 year deals. Getting huge APY is different for them. That is how FMV is created for these guys.

During the next CBA this issue is going to lead to a huge change in how the cap works. QBs aren’t going to be included in the normal cap. There is going to be a separate cap for QBs altogether.
You don’t know that. But whatever the players agree to in the next CBA in deference to compensation you can bet collectively they’re going to get substantially more than they do in the current CBA.

plymkr

Reaction score
You can, and you have to, include Mahomes in the market value discussion. Mahomes 2nd contract he signed a 10 year deal securing his stability with the Chiefs. In March of 2019 Dak was offered, at the time, the richest contract in NFL history and turned it down because it was a 5 year deal. Dak wants short deals so he can renegotiate or enter FA ASAP. Why couldn’t Dak, Tua, Love, Lawrence sign long term deals with their respective teams on their 2nd contract?

I disagree with the notion that you can’t include Mahomes in the FMV discussion because every QB entering their 2nd contract could have demanded a 10 year deal for security. Dak could have but he refused a 5 year deal. Dak could have easily said I want 45 APY for 10 years and Jerry would have given it to him. Jerry was pushing for a long term contract in 2019 and 2020 and Dak refused so he can consistently enter the market.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Deserving? Debatable. But he’ll ask for market price and get it. It’s just the name of the game when you’re due for a contract and have decent ability as a QB in today’s NFL.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Deserving? Debatable. But he’ll ask for market price and get it. It’s just the name of the game when you’re due for a contract and have decent ability as a QB in today’s NFL.
Only Jerry will pay Dak that kind of stupid money, but I am having my doubts that even Jerry is going to pay superstar money for a mediocre talent.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Only Jerry will pay Dak that kind of stupid money, but I am having my doubts that even Jerry is going to pay superstar money for a mediocre talent.
If he hits the market, he’ll have a long oine of suitors. Look at the how many 1st round QB busts occur every single season. Don’t kid yourself. Put your bias aside and look at the league and what they’ve just paid scrubs like Trevor Lawrence and Tua Dolphin dude.

coult44

Reaction score
The quarterbacks don’t pay themselves. Owners, collectively, decide what quarterbacks should be paid. How this is the fault of the quarterbacks is nonsense. Jimmy Johnson should think before he shoots his mouth off. If there’s a problem it’s that owners pay good quarterbacks the same amount as great quarterbacks. Half the starting quarterbacks in the NFL are paid as much or more than Prescott. Unless Dak’s agent is as dumb as a stump that is not going to continue.

As for “the brotherhood” talk, you can bet dollars against donuts NFL quarterbacks and players expect Dak Prescott to parlay his performance on the field to compensation commensurate with what other quarterbacks are being paid. And Todd France is going to be judged by potential clients on what he can do for Dak Prescott on his next contract.

Jerry Jones can pay Dak or not pay Dak, that’s his business. If he’s concerned about how much Dak expects to be paid he need only look at what other owners have already done to understand why. As for Jimmy Johnson helping his network keep eyeballs on Cowherd, news flash, it’s not the 90’s anymore. Stick to fishing for wahoo.
I want Dak to get paid. Based on important stuff, he doesn’t deserve it but Based on entertainment value, and regular season stats, he does.
WTBS, Dak is a few things. One, he’s a liar. To say he doesn’t play for the money is absurd. But if he didn’t care, he would just sign what they offered him. Two, he deserves to be paid FMV for a top 7 QB. The owners have set that market and he deserves what he can get. Finally, Dak is selfish and from the entitled generation. Give me mine, every one else be damned. lol be
Derision and ridicule.
ridicule him all you want, there are still less than eight or nine people in the entire world who can do his job better than he can

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I want Dak to get paid. Based on important stuff, he doesn’t deserve it but Based on entertainment value, and regular season stats, he does.
WTBS, Dak is a few things. One, he’s a liar. To say he doesn’t play for the money is absurd. But if he didn’t care, he would just sign what they offered him. Two, he deserves to be paid FMV for a top 7 QB. The owners have set that market and he deserves what he can get. Finally, Dak is selfish and from the entitled generation. Give me mine, every one else be damned. lol be

ridicule him all you want, there are still less than eight or nine people in the entire world who can do his job better than he can
You can call him selfish and entitled. You have no idea if that’s true. You can’t call him a fool. Cowboys fans resent he puts himself before the team. His willingness to become a free agent and play elsewhere, as if any team will do, upsets Cowboys fans who think their favorite team is special. Dak‘s ambivalence paints players as mercenaries. It hurts Cowboys fans’ feelings to have to consider the star on the helmet doesn’t mean **** to professional football players.