Dak or Cousins-who’d you rather have at QB?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
But there were some circumstances there that don't apply here. For starters, one reason the Chargers only offered a low guaranteed contract was because they had concerns about a shoulder problem with Brees. There are no injury issues here with Dak. If people are making the assumption that the Chargers were dumb for giving up on Brees ergo, the Cowboys would be dumb giving up on Dak so early, it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Let's also note that the Chargers didn't exactly screw up here as they ended up with a QB who is likely going to the Hall of Fame at some point in Rivers. The guy has completed 65% of his passes, will end up throwing for over 55,000 yards after this season, 373 TDs against only 176 interceptions. And he'll likely play another couple of years which would mean he'll likely break 60,000 passing yards and 400 TDs. Rivers is a Hall of Famer and it's hard to then argue that the Chargers made the "wrong" or bad choice here.
I dont believe the Chargers drafted Rivers before Brees got injured. My statement is based on the decision that Chargers made after only 3 seasons.

The certainly made a bad decision. That was a pretty loaded team with the best back in the NFL at that time. They could have used the top 10 pick they used on Rivers (or what ever the pick was) on a player to help them make a playoff and Superbowl run. They had what has become a certain HOF and did not give him a chance to fully develop into that. That is a mistake....sorry but I really dont see how anyone could see it any differently.

The only way Rivers gets into the HOF is if he wins a bowl and I dont think that will happen. He is the Tony Romo of San Diego.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Yeah, just stating facts, trying to keep everything straight.

Rivers sat for 2 seasons behind Brees. It was only the last season where Brees really came out. At that point, the Chargers had to let one go.

I don't think Brees is all that much different than Rivers. Out of the two, I'd go w/ Rivers.

Brees is great, but not close to Brady or PManning or Rodgers. I actually put Rivers 3rd out of these guys and Brees fifth.. Not always easy to put greatness in a list. I'm talking levels of greatness here, not claiming any of them are not great.

Don't see how it was a wrong decision. The only wrong decision was not trading him sooner, maybe during his last season in SD. If you've got the future on the roster, you should get something for the past.
I stopped there.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I dont believe the Chargers drafted Rivers before Brees got injured. My statement is based on the decision that Chargers made after only 3 seasons.

The certainly made a bad decision. That was a pretty loaded team with the best back in the NFL at that time. They could have used the top 10 pick they used on Rivers (or what ever the pick was) on a player to help them make a playoff and Superbowl run. They had what has become a certain HOF and did not give him a chance to fully develop into that. That is a mistake....sorry but I really dont see how anyone could see it any differently.

The only way Rivers gets into the HOF is if he wins a bowl and I dont think that will happen. He is the Tony Romo of San Diego.
I think Brees was injured at the time and had shoulder issues, which caused a lot of teams to shy away. He actually paid a visit to Miami at the time, but they passed. NO took achance and they were criticized for signing a risky injured player.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I think Brees was injured at the time and had shoulder issues, which caused a lot of teams to shy away. He actually paid a visit to Miami at the time, but they passed. NO took achance and they were criticized for signing a risky injured player.
He was hurt when they let him go. My point is about the team drafting Rivers and making up their mind that Brees was not a franchise QB after 3 seasons.

Sydla

Reaction score

Rivers is a lock for the Hall of Fame.

He’ll finish his career likely top 5 in yards and TDs for QBs. If you think that type of resume won’t get in the Hall of Fame, that’s strange.

Also, Rivers’ first year starting they went 14-2 and he was a Pro Bowler. So it’s not like the team fell apart because of QB play. The second year as starter they went 11-5 and made the AFC Champ game.

Both seasons ended in the playoffs to Tom Brady.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
Just curious. I know Kirk got way too much guaranteed money w/ the Vikes but if he wasn’t locked up would you take him over Dak?

Tua in 2020 by whatever means necessary. Tank for Tua! Oh....? That wasn't the question. Cousins all day, every day.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak..

Cousins is a joke and he’s one of th reasons the all knowing NFL talent evaluators aren’t so all knowing after all.

He was regarded as something he isn’t and now the Vikings have to pay 28 Mill a year for their stupidity.

Redline360

Reaction score
Exactly how is Cousins a joke?

Above average numbers in Washington when the coaches/GM did not want him around
Great numbers this year with no rushing game for over half the season. Still has put up better numbers then the majority of the league. Can carry an offense with lack of support from run game

Overpaid? yes Joke? no

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Dak..

Cousins is a joke and he’s one of th reasons the all knowing NFL talent evaluators aren’t so all knowing after all.

He was regarded as something he isn’t and now the Vikings have to pay 28 Mill a year for their stupidity.

Wasted money if he can't step up and get them into the playoffs on Sunday. Which is why I said, if he can't get it done with the more talented Vikings. Then where would be the guarantee that he could come to Dallas and make the Cowboys a consistent playoff team. Since the idea that some go with is that all a projected franchise, elite QB needs is a better supporting cast and he'll be Superbowl bound.

JayFord

Reaction score
cousins has the same pocket awareness and deep ball accuracy as dak and some people want him?

Not only that he has issues in the redzone

You all would flip out if cousins was our qb....not only that he will turn the ball over when its crunch time and hes like 4-20 against teams with a winning record and isnt good in primetime

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Me too. Offhand, I'd say Foles absolutely must have a Pederson type. Pederson went out of his way to change the O for Foles so he'd succeed. Foles is simply not the type of QB who can succeed under any circumstances.
Watched a lot of Eagle games up here. They didn't change the offense much for Foles. For the most part, they ran the same plays they ran for Wentz. The biggest difference was the way Foles used all his receivers. Having a fully healthy Jeffreys helped. Also having Sproles look like the old Sproles helped too, since their backs are barely average without Ajayi and Clement (who wasn't having a good year anyway).

kskboys

Reaction score
Watched a lot of Eagle games up here. They didn't change the offense much for Foles. For the most part, they ran the same plays they ran for Wentz. The biggest difference was the way Foles used all his receivers. Having a fully healthy Jeffreys helped. Also having Sproles look like the old Sproles helped too, since their backs are barely average without Ajayi and Clement (who wasn't having a good year anyway).
The facts disagree w/ you!!!!! There were huge specials about this at the time. Pederson went out of his way to watch tapes of Foles previous play to figure out what made him effective and adjusted accordingly.

kskboys

Reaction score

Rivers sat 2 years behind Brees. Already told you that!!!!!

Many, many, many disagree w/ you.

It wasn't a bad decision. Rivers has been around the same level as Brees. And that is what is generally believed.

One of the reasons(Prolly the primary one) Rivers was drafted was due to Brees not panning out at that time. He really only came on the last season there, Rivers' 2nd.

I'm OK w/ you thinking Brees is better. It's very close between the 2.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
The facts disagree w/ you!!!!! There were huge specials about this at the time. Pederson went out of his way to watch tapes of Foles previous play to figure out what made him effective and adjusted accordingly.
That was last year. This year they don’t have the run game and thus the versatility of last year, so the plays have been mostly the same. It’s a big topic of conversation on talk radio that Foles looks better than Wentz running the same offense.