Dak or Cousins-who’d you rather have at QB?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Backup hell, sign him and start him. Or at least make the better buy win the starting job. I like Dak but he leaves a lot to be desired.

When I watch Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, etc etc I sure do wish we had that talent.
Sign him as a backup and use him for the playoffs. He's only good for 3 or 4 great games. That'll put us over the top. :D

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Brees in SD: 80 TDs, 53 INTs, 62% completions, 6.8 yards per attempt (5 years) = "terrific"

Dak: 63 TDs, 25 INTs, 66% completions, 7.3 yards per attempt (3 years) = "sucks"

:muttley:
Brees wwas drafted in 2001. the game has changed tremendously and become more passer friendly over the past decade (but givenyou are young and new football fan, you probably don't know much about football history)....the rules have changed so much that if you touch the QB, you get a flag (might as well put a red jersey on them). Brees played during an era where passing wasn't as prominent in game plans...second, Brees didn't have the OL, Zeke, Witten, Dez and Zeke to play with. also Brees got injured and he injured his shoulder, which led to the team releasing him. He had two visits one to Miami (first) who passed on him because of shoulder concerns. Then to NO, who decided to sign him and take the risk. even in the early 200s, he threw for 3200+ yards, which is equivalent to over 4000 yards today and guess what, we have seen Brees do it consistently. Brees was an accurate QB, could throw and hit the side of the barn, unlike Dak Prescott who struggles to hit the barn from 10 ft away...you comparing Dak to Brees makes you look like a fool...he is future HOFer for sure...Dak without Zeke struggled to a 3-3. Dak without an OL giving him 8 to 10 seconds to throw struggled to 100 yards passing.....where Brees without that type of OL, posted 3500+ yards easily and when given the OL and same weapons as Dak, throws for 4500+ routinely.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Agreed. And even though I am a huge Romo backer, I'm laying some of that particular game at his feet. Every QB has bad days and to me, that wasn't one of his best days

The 2nd half started bad--GB scored 2 Quick TD on their first 2 drives of the 2nd half and we sandwiched a FG between it, but were still up 29-17 at that point. But for some reason, our team panicked. That part, I put on the coaching. JG at that point should have gathered the troops, settled them down and got everyone to take a breath and relax and go back to what was working in the first half.

Also we needed to make some defensive adjustments because GB has obviously adjusted what they were doing. Some might not be aware that (other than kneeling to kill the clock at the end) GB scored TD on every one of their drives in the 2nd half? 5 possessions, 5 TD in the 2nd half. 3 of those TD drives were 80 yards. That ain't good. The defense shoulders more than their share of blame on that one.

But also so does the coaching and so does the QB. A lot of people called that a Romo special and laid that one solely at his feet. And he certainly shoulders some of the blame on that one. He had a 4th quarter INT to shields that was a bad throw. No question.

But the coaches panicked. And the defense had a total meltdown in teh 2nd half. All we needed was 1 stop in the 2nd half and we still win that game. But GB (led by Matt Flynn) scored a TD on every single 2nd half possession. Every one.

That loss still bothers me, 5 years later. Plenty of blame to go around but at the end of the day, all were responsible and it was an inexcusable loss.

I still mostly blame Garrett for losing that game in the way that we did. The Defense for sure should have done a better job at stopping Flynn and allowing him to comeback on us like that. Which is all the more reason for Garrett to call plays that gave the ball to Murray, it the Defense is starting to struggle, then keep them off of the field by running the ball on offense. Our coaching staff basically did the GB Defense a favor by deciding not to run the ball more with Murray in the 2nd half.

Sydla

Reaction score
Backup hell, sign him and start him. Or at least make the better buy win the starting job. I like Dak but he leaves a lot to be desired.

When I watch Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, etc etc I sure do wish we had that talent.

I got to be honest. I don't like Foles and thought he was overrated by many.

But what he's done last year and now this year, it's pretty amazing. It's also almost impossible to explain.

I worry that once he gets out from under that Philly shadow, he's going to turn back into a pumpkin. So while part of me would be interested in kicking the tires on him this offseason based on what he's done recently, another part of me is scared to death of the Cowboys being the team handing him an elite or almost elite contract and he goes back to the bleh Nick Foles.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You can try to spin this anyway you want but the facts are they tagged him in 2005 (after they drafted Rivers in 2004) and then they offered him a 5 year, $50MM contract after the 2005 season.

What does that tell you? Maybe it tells you the Chargers had no idea what they were doing.
The Chargers obviously did not know what they were doing. That is my point. They made a decision on a 2nd round QB after only 3 years.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Brees was known as a flop until his last season in SD. It was at that point that they already had Rivers and let him go in a very tough choice.

Rivers has been a stud, and they made the correct decision.
Again than you for making my point. And they made the wrong decision IMO. Brees is arguably the greatest QB of his generation and Rivers an above average QB.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Chargers obviously did not know what they were doing. That is my point. They made a decision on a 2nd round QB after only 3 years.

But there were some circumstances there that don't apply here. For starters, one reason the Chargers only offered a low guaranteed contract was because they had concerns about a shoulder problem with Brees. There are no injury issues here with Dak. If people are making the assumption that the Chargers were dumb for giving up on Brees ergo, the Cowboys would be dumb giving up on Dak so early, it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Let's also note that the Chargers didn't exactly screw up here as they ended up with a QB who is likely going to the Hall of Fame at some point in Rivers. The guy has completed 65% of his passes, will end up throwing for over 55,000 yards after this season, 373 TDs against only 176 interceptions. And he'll likely play another couple of years which would mean he'll likely break 60,000 passing yards and 400 TDs. Rivers is a Hall of Famer and it's hard to then argue that the Chargers made the "wrong" or bad choice here.

kskboys

Reaction score
Again than you for making my point. And they made the wrong decision IMO. Brees is arguably the greatest QB of his generation and Rivers an above average QB.
Yeah, just stating facts, trying to keep everything straight.

Rivers sat for 2 seasons behind Brees. It was only the last season where Brees really came out. At that point, the Chargers had to let one go.

I don't think Brees is all that much different than Rivers. Out of the two, I'd go w/ Rivers.

Brees is great, but not close to Brady or PManning or Rodgers. I actually put Rivers 3rd out of these guys and Brees fifth.. Not always easy to put greatness in a list. I'm talking levels of greatness here, not claiming any of them are not great.

Don't see how it was a wrong decision. The only wrong decision was not trading him sooner, maybe during his last season in SD. If you've got the future on the roster, you should get something for the past.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Wilson yes and he has a few more years of experience than Prescott. Just remember Wilson in years one and two when the Seahawks leaned heavily on Beast Mode and Wilson wasn't asked to carry the load. That started around his 4'th year. Mahomes? My brain and past experience with media darlings tells me the luster will come off the star, perhaps not.

Yes of course, today I would take Wilson over Dak, especially with his experience and ability to win games with his smarts, arm and leg. I'll give Prescott a year or two more to see if the decision making speeds up and the game slows down around him. He has the smarts, and legs already. Can the arm talent develop and decision making develop. That takes time. The reality is Prescott is going to get the time in Dallas and we'll see if happens. His predecessor had 8 years but it never happened as far as winning when it counted most. So it's more than arm talent

kskboys

Reaction score
I got to be honest. I don't like Foles and thought he was overrated by many.

But what he's done last year and now this year, it's pretty amazing. It's also almost impossible to explain.

I worry that once he gets out from under that Philly shadow, he's going to turn back into a pumpkin. So while part of me would be interested in kicking the tires on him this offseason based on what he's done recently, another part of me is scared to death of the Cowboys being the team handing him an elite or almost elite contract and he goes back to the bleh Nick Foles.
Me too. Offhand, I'd say Foles absolutely must have a Pederson type. Pederson went out of his way to change the O for Foles so he'd succeed. Foles is simply not the type of QB who can succeed under any circumstances.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Neither one of those guys excites me, that's a difficult choice. Given the contracts they both have, I think I would lean toward Dak, but the Cowboys seem to be headed toward a Cousins-like mistake.

Sydla

Reaction score
Me too. Offhand, I'd say Foles absolutely must have a Pederson type. Pederson went out of his way to change the O for Foles so he'd succeed. Foles is simply not the type of QB who can succeed under any circumstances.

If you could almost guarantee me the Foles of the 2017 playoffs and the last two games, I'd kick Dak to the curb in a heartbeat.

But I am skittish on the probability that's the Foles some team will actually get.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Man this is like choosing between a person in a coma or a trisomy 21 guy. Tough choice.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Neither one of those guys excites me, that's a difficult choice. Given the contracts they both have, I think I would lean toward Dak, but the Cowboys seem to be headed toward a Cousins-like mistake.

I think and I hope that management has learned from past mistakes on over paying. A Romo like contract of 5 years $106 million plus inflation and a salary cap increase every year should not be out of the question especially if Dak wins a playoff game.

There are a few things that make me more comfortable with management decisions on contracts. 1) they let Dez walk 2) they let Demarco walk 3) they let Ware walk 4) they negotiated a very team friendly extension with Witten. Our cap is in much better shape now because of those decisions. I don't see a Cousins-type contract coming. Have been wrong before tho

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I think and I hope that management has learned from past mistakes on over paying. A Romo like contract of 5 years $106 million plus inflation and a salary cap increase every year should not be out of the question especially if Dak wins a playoff game.

There are a few things that make me more comfortable with management decisions on contracts. 1) they let Dez walk 2) they let Demarco walk 3) they let Ware walk 4) they negotiated a very team friendly extension with Witten. Our cap is in much better shape now because of those decisions. I don't see a Cousins-type contract coming. Have been wrong before tho
If they plan on keeping Dak, no matter what he is paid, they really need to change the passing game to better suit his skill set.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Just curious. I know Kirk got way too much guaranteed money w/ the Vikes but if he wasn’t locked up would you take him over Dak?
I am very critical of Dak because he's enigma. He's capable of of so many good things yet he does thing that are bone headed to many times during games.
He fumbles to much, he doesn't have the best pocket awareness and will take huge sacks, he has trouble checking down and he misses very wide open recievers.
Yet, he has a knack for bringing us back when we're behind. He's big and strong and has a good set of legs for running. He's confident and a leader. He needs better coaching before he gets ruined.
That being said, Kirk Cousins would be a better fit right now for the Cowboys imo. He shares a lot of Daks good qualities yet he has less downside as a player right now. Perhaps in a couple years he'll overtake Cousins as a player, but not yet.