Dak or Dalton?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Is Dak's price 30-35M/yr or is it >$40M? While Dak has earned a good pay raise, this team needs too much work to turn around and invest a quarter of their cap in one player. It really depends on the contract structure.

Dalton is absolutely no Dak, but the Ravens won a Superbowl with Dilfer and the Giants won two with Eli.

And both had defenses that weren't ranked 32nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: G2

Bigdog

Reaction score
Is this a trick question? I hated these when I was in school.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Yeah we have the Ravens and the Giants defenses.:rolleyes: We don’t even have the 2009 Cowboys defense.

You never will have a really good defense if you spend nearly half the cap on 4 guys on offense: Dak ($40), Cooper ($20M), Zeke ($10M), and Martin ($12M).

Further compounded by grossly overpaying 3 on defense: Lawrence at $20M, Smith at $10M, and Crawford at $9M. Mostly wasted money on defense.

Those 7 players account for $140M of the expected $175M.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I don’t even know why people hate on Dak... for the most part he’s been one of the only players worth rooting for in Dallas NFCE.

Andy Dalton isn’t even in the same league... it’s actually embarrassing that fans push an agenda with no backing.
FIFY :muttley:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don’t even know why people hate on Dak... for the most part he’s been one of the only players worth rooting for in Dallas.

Andy Dalton isn’t even in the same league... it’s actually embarrassing that fans push an agenda with no backing.
Because the ones that do hate on Dak are nothing but idiots, haters and just all around miserable people.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Absolutely dead on. That word "hate" just gets tossed around here too much I don't think Jaylon Smith is a good MLB, does that mean I hate him? Hell, they've had players I really liked, just not on the field.

It's why people use it. They want to start a food fight.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There are 6 slated to go in the 1st round and 4 are considered blue chip. Does that mean they'll work out? Absolutely not but every team will take a chance on a QB in some draft and most in the 1st round.

It's a risky pick with a team betting that he'll be better than what they have and players like Josh Rosen, Brady Quinn, Mitch Trubisky and Sam Darnold make those risks even higher. And Darnold might be like Tannehill and just needing a fresh start.

There is not one guaranteed NFL caliber in this draft but 6 teams will take a shot in the 1st to see if they can strike gold.

There is also the trend that the young guns like Mahomes, Jackson, Mayfield, Herbert, Burrow, Murray and Allen are taking over the league. Get you one of these before they're all gone.

There is at least one IMO. But I don't disagree, there are no sure things but the odds of getting one are much better then they used to be IMO.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak at or under 35mil for sure

Dalton and qb draft pick we get from tradig Dak so a guy falling late forst like Trask, wilson, etc to develop..

rather see dak stay but not unless its team friendly deal under 35 if he threatens holdout, plays hard ball, and wants 38-42mil and a short deal..i say goodbye..

dak clearly better then Dalton but he could price himself out of here
how would we trade Dak? his contract ends at the end of the season. this is not NBA or Baseball, so there is no sign and trade. the only option would be to franchise him and find a team willing to trade and then pay him. that would be double jeapordy for a lot of teams, giving up draft picks and salary.....most teams would do one or the other.....that would also require Dak to accept an offer from the other team willing to trade for him, because Dak could refuse to sign the tag and decide to sit out.

this would be a lot a lot more complicated

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There are 6 slated to go in the 1st round and 4 are considered blue chip. Does that mean they'll work out? Absolutely not but every team will take a chance on a QB in some draft and most in the 1st round.

It's a risky pick with a team betting that he'll be better than what they have and players like Josh Rosen, Brady Quinn, Mitch Trubisky and Sam Darnold make those risks even higher. And Darnold might be like Tannehill and just needing a fresh start.

There is not one guaranteed NFL caliber in this draft but 6 teams will take a shot in the 1st to see if they can strike gold.

There is also the trend that the young guns like Mahomes, Jackson, Mayfield, Herbert, Burrow, Murray and Allen are taking over the league. Get you one of these before they're all gone.
ok, who are these blue chip players? Lawrence...1st over all. Fields, probably second. the rest have warts and question marks and just like trubisky, darnold, rosen, they can flame out quickly.

so you rather go on a QB carrousel like Denver is doing......than build a team. lets try this QB and lets try that QB, lets try another one....if you make enough QB picks every 3 years, then you have a chance to hit on one, lets just suck for the nexty 10 years, pick in the top 10 and keep picking QBs until we hit on one...awsome plan....

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You never will have a really good defense if you spend nearly half the cap on 4 guys on offense: Dak ($40), Cooper ($20M), Zeke ($10M), and Martin ($12M).

Further compounded by grossly overpaying 3 on defense: Lawrence at $20M, Smith at $10M, and Crawford at $9M. Mostly wasted money on defense.

Those 7 players account for $140M of the expected $175M.
You really think money will be a problem with the Cowboys next season? Some of you guys listen to ESPN to much. The Cowboys can sign who they want. Nobody knows what the cap will be next season. If the cap goes as low as 175 more then half the league would be in trouble.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
ok, who are these blue chip players? Lawrence...1st over all. Fields, probably second. the rest have warts and question marks and just like trubisky, darnold, rosen, they can flame out quickly.

so you rather go on a QB carrousel like Denver is doing......than build a team. lets try this QB and lets try that QB, lets try another one....if you make enough QB picks every 3 years, then you have a chance to hit on one, lets just suck for the nexty 10 years, pick in the top 10 and keep picking QBs until we hit on one...awsome plan....

I guess you think Dak does not have warts? If so, you are lying to yourself.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
You really think money will be a problem with the Cowboys next season? Some of you guys listen to ESPN to much. The Cowboys can sign who they want. Nobody knows what the cap will be next season. If the cap goes as low as 175 more then half the league would be in trouble.

My guess is that there will be a huge fight over the cap next year. The small market teams will push for the $175M cap since they will lose more money if the cap is much higher and there will be competitive issues. Cash flow becomes a problem for them.

Owners do not look at one year. I think the future is decreased revenue for a few years at least. Owners look at the next 5-10 years and it is not pretty. Owners might be looking for a reset as salaries got out of hand.

blueblood70

Reaction score
how would we trade Dak? his contract ends at the end of the season. this is not NBA or Baseball, so there is no sign and trade. the only option would be to franchise him and find a team willing to trade and then pay him. that would be double jeapordy for a lot of teams, giving up draft picks and salary.....most teams would do one or the other.....that would also require Dak to accept an offer from the other team willing to trade for him, because Dak could refuse to sign the tag and decide to sit out.

this would be a lot a lot more complicated
umm called the Non exclusive FranchiseTag

we can do it two more times and allow him to get offers that would require 2 firsts for him to leave..keep up we own his rights 2 more season if they want to play tough love lol

I get its not practical but why wouldnt he want to leave and maybe we say find a offer better then ours and we will take 1st and 3rd why not if daks so great this franchise qb who wants 40mil another team who has traded up in drafts with more stock for guys like wentz..

only takes one team and at that point Daks frustrated and agrees..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
umm called the Non exclusive FranchiseTag

we can do it two more times and allow him to get offers that would require 2 firsts for him to leave..keep up we own his rights 2 more season if they want to play tough love lol

I get its not practical but why wouldnt he want to leave and maybe we say find a offer better then ours and we will take 1st and 3rd why not if daks so great this franchise qb who wants 40mil another team who has traded up in drafts with more stock for guys like wentz..

only takes one team and at that point Daks frustrated and agrees..
Why would Dak want to go to a team without a 1st and 3rd rounder lol? If I was him I'd just sit out. Why be loyal to a franchise that isn't loyal to you?