Dak Prescott Almost agreed to new contract before deadline

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I would try to move Dak. Imo he doesn't want to be here or he just wants top dollar.
Time to cut bait.

Every year Dak has *less* incentive to sign than the last. Trade him now to some sucker who thinks he'll sign next year.

Should we really even *want* him next year at 38mil? Should anyone else?

Dalton + 31.4mil + Dak trade value > Dak

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say the others were overpaid instead of the assertion that Dak was lowballed.
The teams determine that though, not fans who just think the numbers sound too high. The market is based on what teams are willing to pay.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bs.

He doesn't want to be here. He wants money and that is it. Doesn't care where he plays.
That's an opinion, and you have a right to it, but let's not pretend it is impossible for a person to want to work for a particular company and still want to maximize their earning potential.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is pretty much the same deal that was rumored to be on the table since like March or April. I'm very skeptical about this story, only because the deal has been there forever. How then can there have been no time? I think Dak and CAA were never going to sign that deal and this is simply a PR story to help Dak in the upcoming season.

I don't buy it but whatever, no deal. Dak plays on the Tag.
Actually it was reported the Cowboys wanted a 5 year deal all this time.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Was just about to post this, glad I kept reading first. And reports were the Dak's management upped the price after that amazing 3-0 start.

....and upped again when Mahomes signed.

This argument that Dak will cost more next year is a myth....he is asking close to Mahomes money now.

Interesting point - Heading into the season of their 27 birthday ,both Dak and Mahomes, will be paid about the same $31m.

glimmerman

Reaction score
....and upped again when Mahomes signed.

This argument that Dak will cost more next year is a myth....he is asking close to Mahomes money now.

Interesting point - Heading into the season of their 27 birthday ,both Dak and Mahomes, will be paid about the same $31m.
Dak could be cashing that 50 million dollar check. Should have called the Joneses earlier.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That's an opinion, and you have a right to it, but let's not pretend it is impossible for a person to want to work for a particular company and still want to maximize their earning potential.

Well the decision on which is the priority lies with Dak.

The reality is that if he wants a 3 / 4 year deal he will get more money outside of Dallas: he knows it, the Jones's know it and so does France.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well the decision on which is the priority lies with Dak.

The reality is that if he wants a 3 / 4 year deal he will get more money outside of Dallas: he knows it, the Jones's know it and so does France.

That may be true, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be in Dallas, so lets at least be fair minded in our conclusions.

And, of course, the Cowboys have to set their priorities as well, and some have suggested the fact a deal didn't get done means they don't want Dak, which makes no sense because if that were the case they wouldn't have insisted on a 5 year deal.

It's just the business side of things on both sides, and how things stand doesn't mean either side doesn't prefer to stay connected with the other.

By the way, I've never seen anything suggesting Dak was asking for a 3 year deal. Seems a lot of people throw things like that out to bolster their argument, along with the idea Dak was asking for an average of $40 million/year, even though the reporting has not been in line with those ideas. Most reporting has been he was looking for 4 years at around $34-35 million per year, with $100-110 million guaranteed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Why? I don't get your line of thinking. Just giving in to every player's salary demands leads to 8-8. Aren't you interested in winning?

When the salary demands are market rate and the player is the QB, it makes all the sense in the world to give in.

And what was Dallas really giving into? 4 years instead of 5? Jerry screwed up not doing that deal. Now if all this has something to do with the salary cap and possibly not playing this year, then that's about the only angle I could see where there is the slightest chance that Jerry may be outsmarting us here.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That may be true, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be in Dallas, so lets at least be fair minded in our conclusions.

And, of course, the Cowboys have to set their priorities as well, and some have suggested the fact a deal didn't get done means they don't want Dak, which makes no sense because if that were the case they wouldn't have insisted on a 5 year deal.

It's just the business side of things on both sides, and how things stand doesn't mean either side doesn't prefer to stay connected with the other.

By the way, I've never seen anything suggesting Dak was asking for a 3 year deal. Seems a lot of people throw things like that out to bolster their argument, along with the idea Dak was asking for an average of $40 million/year, even though the reporting has not been in line with those ideas. Most reporting has been he was looking for 4 years at around $34-35 million per year, with $100-110 million guaranteed.
Which I think is what they offered at the end. And maybe had been offered. Was the 5th year. And maybe the guaranteed money. Something got his attention on the last day. Maybe they upped the guaranteed to what he wanted and that reported 50 million signing bonus..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which I think is what they offered at the end. And maybe had been offered. Was the 5th year. And maybe the guaranteed money. Something got his attention on the last day. Maybe they upped the guaranteed to what he wanted and that reported 50 million signing bonus..
It would be interesting to know what it was that supposedly got Dak's interest but their wasn't enough time left to get the deal consummated.

I personally am skeptical of that story, but if true it was a ridiculous failure on both sides that it came down to the wire like that.

Wasn't there another situation like that with the Cowboys in the last year or two where a deal was done with the final minutes ticking before the deadline?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

There's no incentive for either side to commit to something they weren't happy with.

The tag for two years would have been roughly the same as the $34-$35 AAV Dak was looking for.

Not going the 5th year with restrict CAP flexibility alot, even after restructuring/cutting contracts.

The reason I mention 3 years is because 2020 is in the bag at $31m, so im looking to next year when I assume he'll look for 3 years and there's a chance he gets cut.

Im sure France will say....Cowboys are last in CAP availability between 2021 through 2023 and teams like the Patriots, Colts and Jaguars have double the CAP availability over that period, dont sign for under market value.

Call me skeptic, but Dak employed the hard negotiating France when JJ is renowned for throwing dollar around.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know what it was that supposedly got Dak's interest but their wasn't enough time left to get the deal consummated.

I personally am skeptical of that story, but if true it was a ridiculous failure on both sides that it came down to the wire like that.

Wasn't there another situation like that with the Cowboys in the last year or two where a deal was done with the final minutes ticking before the deadline?
Maybe D-Law. Dez was close also. But SJ called D-Law at the end and got it done.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's no incentive for either side to commit to something they weren't happy with.

The tag for two years would have been roughly the same as the $34-$35 AAV Dak was looking for.

Not going the 5th year with restrict CAP flexibility alot, even after restructuring/cutting contracts.

The reason I mention 3 years is because 2020 is in the bag at $31m, so im looking to next year when I assume he'll look for 3 years and there's a chance he gets cut.

Im sure France will say....Cowboys are last in CAP availability between 2021 through 2023 and teams like the Patriots, Colts and Jaguars have double the CAP availability over that period, dont sign for under market value.

Call me skeptic, but Dak employed the hard negotiating France when JJ is renowned for throwing dollar around.

I actually agree with much of this, but I will say Jerry has negotiated hard before. Going back to the great 1990's teams, Emmitt Smith actually missed 2 games one season (1993) because Jerry wouldn't make the commitment Emmit wanted. And more recently D-Lawrence played a season under the franchise tag because a deal couldn't get done with Jerry.

To be clear, I'm not putting all the blame on Jerry for these things. Jerry has to look at all things, including what he feels is manageable for the Cowboys. But it does show Jerry doesn't always simply cave in and pay whatever a player wants.

shabazz

Reaction score
looks-like-we-5c1091.jpg

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I actually agree with much of this, but I will say Jerry has negotiated hard before. Going back to the great 1990's teams, Emmitt Smith actually missed 2 games one season (1993) because Jerry wouldn't make the commitment Emmit wanted. And more recently D-Lawrence played a season under the franchise tag because a deal couldn't get done with Jerry.

To be clear, I'm not putting all the blame on Jerry for these things. Jerry has to look at all things, including what he feels is manageable for the Cowboys. But it does show Jerry doesn't always simply cave in and pay whatever a player wants.

....Im not defending Jerry and think a lot of this is due to the poor contracts he's given over the last couple of years.

Like yourself I agree that there isnt one side at fault and there's a trace of bad luck which goes back to:

1) The draft (the extra year of control and additional money if he had been drafted higher).
2) Replacing a popular hero, whom some wont let go of.
3) Having a statistical down year (QBR) in 2018, the year where he's eligible to negotiate his contract.
4) The CBA to come into effect by 2024.
5) Being on a team that's last in CAP availability for the next 4 years.
6) A new HC who starts a job and not have any money to spend... MM MAY want to spy before he buys, after all if we sign Dak to big money we've got very little left to patch team weaknesses.
7) A HC who has made a tough decision and played Rodgers over Favre.....he could want his man.

What i'm saying, not to yourself in particular, there's more factors than just we should have paid him and i hope with the offense he's got Dak is a major force, gets us deep into the playoffs and we are all aboard about paying him.