Dak Prescott deep ball to Gallup

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Whirlwin, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

6,698 Messages
    3,866 Likes Received
    It was hard for me to tell. Did Gallup just misread the Flight of the football. Yes it was a little bit behind to the outside. But watching Gallup run down the field I thought he had complete site of it. Only at the last moment did he realize he needed to stop and go backwards. Where he could have adjusted his speed throughout the pattern. It just didn't look smooth. Make no mistake about this I'm not blaming either or it was just a strange play

Melonfeud, robbieruff and 817Gill like this.
  2. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

9,694 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I think this was gallup and dak not on same page, maybe accuracy issue....gallup was expecting that ball to the inside and he started to cut that way before looking for the ball, then he tracked it I the air and couldn't adjust.....Perhaps Dak was expecting him to continue to run on the sideline and not cut inside.

America's Cowboy likes this.
  3. Hennessy_King

Hennessy_King Benched

7,067 Messages
    9,403 Likes Received
    Gallup misread the flight of the ball. He had plenty of time and space to adjust and never did so. Broaddus thinks he might have lost it in the sun.

glimmerman, Scotman, Cebrin and 19 others like this.
  4. FaSho

FaSho Well-Known Member

672 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Looked like pure miscommunication, which happens. They've been hitting on these so far, so I'm not worried even a little bit.

Melonfeud and Irvin88_4life like this.
  5. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

4,436 Messages
    4,363 Likes Received
    The miscommunication was on Gallup, IMO. Norman had inside leverage so Dak threw it towards the sideline where Gallup had more space to go get it. For some strange reason Gallup was looking for it more inside, which would have routed him straight into the coverage.

6. Reality

Reality Staff Member

20,956 Messages
    34,185 Likes Received
    The Cowboys typically throw deep sideline passes close to the sideline (outside shoulder) so the receiver can catch it, it goes out of bounds or at worst, the interception happens right near the sideline which gives the receiver help with stopping a return.

It looked to me like Gallup slowed down during the route. Of course that may very well have been intentional, but it looked like when he slowed down, Gallup's route was no longer clean and more improvised. Even that may have been intentional, but given a fan's eye view, it seemed to me like Gallup didn't think the ball was coming to him, looked up and saw that it was and focused more on catching up to the throw than maintaining the original route.

That said, it is also possible the throw was supposed to go inside rather than outside (deep balls are rather new to the Cowboys this season), so we will only know what went wrong if one of the players or coaches is asked and/or comments on it.

408Cowboy, Kaiser, lukin2006 and 7 others like this.
  7. Keithfansince5

Keithfansince5 Well-Known Member

3,800 Messages
    3,790 Likes Received
    I lay that one on Gallup. While Dak's throw was not perfect it was plenty good enough. I am sure Gallup would admit he could have adjusted to that ball and caught it.

817Gill, xwalker and Ring Leader like this.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

45,458 Messages
    32,373 Likes Received
    Dak's looking great so far.
    2 up, 2 down
    :dance:

Melonfeud, Ranching and xwalker like this.
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

47,427 Messages
    39,039 Likes Received
    Looked like Gallup lost the ball in the sun to me.

He's great at tracking the ball so i'll blame the sun haha.

10. starfan1

starfan1 Well-Known Member

1,043 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    Miles Austin part 2

Ring Leader and Whirlwin like this.
  11. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

12,390 Messages
    5,777 Likes Received
    To me at least, I'd say it looked like this. *Had* Dak make the decision to throw it inside, it was likely a TD. But Norman would likely have a chance at making a play. If Dak threw it outside, Gallup should have an easy catch for a huge chunk of yards, but his momentum probably takes him out of bounds.

Dak made the safe decision and Gallup misread the flight of the ball.

12. Colombiacowboy

Colombiacowboy Well-Known Member

899 Messages
    917 Likes Received
    After seeing Matt Ryan miss so badly on deep balls last night, I think we can give Dak a pass on this one.

13. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

12,390 Messages
    5,777 Likes Received
    We should look into making the sun a June 1st cut

Tusan_Homichi, Whirlwin and Proof like this.
  14. Hennessy_King

Hennessy_King Benched

7,067 Messages
    9,403 Likes Received
    don't disrespect gallup like that

408Cowboy, Eanwen, Buzzbait and 3 others like this.
  15. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

31,865 Messages
    7,463 Likes Received
    Folks need to realize that deep balls are generally low % plays.

And from seeing Gallup shaking his head after the play, you'd have to believe he was upset with himself

16. starfan1

starfan1 Well-Known Member

1,043 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    Let me clarify Not the person the situation.

Hennessy_King likes this.
  17. TexasHillbilly

TexasHillbilly Well-Known Member

1,425 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    What miscommunication? I am throwing the ball to you. Catch it. It was in the air long enough for the receiver to adjust. jmho.

Ring Leader and Hennessy_King like this.
  18. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

14,901 Messages
    12,642 Likes Received
    He Definitely misread it and if he would have kept his route would have caught it without having to adjust.

Whirlwin likes this.
  19. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

6,698 Messages
    3,866 Likes Received
    This isn't about giving anyone a pass or blaming anybody. I wanted to know if it was just a miscommunication. Or Gallop just nut reading the Flight of the ball properly. Or the sun whatever it looks like a very completable pass it looks very strange at the end that's all this is about

Melonfeud likes this.
  20. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

11,551 Messages
    4,451 Likes Received
    It was thrown to the wrong side but Gallup had plenty of time to adjust-for some reason he did not realize it was behind him until too late

xwalker likes this.