Twitter: Dak Prescott is one of the most high flying passers in the game

DaveRowe

Reaction score
Great stats, when taken in its entirety, usually equates to good QB play. When a guy throws for 500 yards and 4 TD's and 1 pick or no picks, sorry, thats great QB play.

When the guy is tearing up the NFL with the passing game, that's great QB play. However, most of the time, they have to do that because the defense sucks and they have to keep up.

So what is great QB play? Throwing for 200 yards and 2 TD's and winning because your defense held them to 10 points?

You Dak trolls simply dont understand football.

Dak has had average stats and the team has gone 13-3 and Dak has had amazing stats and the team has gone 8-8. Its a team game. Until you trolls figure out that the QB doenst play defense, you will always get these things dead wrong. Like all of you did with Dak.

The stats that count are W's and O's. It's why they keep score. Dak was 1 and 3 this year when he went down. Sure the defense and OL left a lot to be desired, which is another reason not to pay him what he wants. Pay Dak the big salary, neglecting the OL and defense and it will be another 25 years before Dallas is in a Super Bowl.

FYI, the last time Dallas played in a conference championship, Tom Brady was in high school in California. He plays on Sunday against Aaron Rogers. You might want to tune in to see what real QB's look like. I don't know what their stats are vs. Dak's but I do know one of them is going to the Super Bowl while Dak is telling fans to "Hold my crutches."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Okay, sound position to have.

That said, we all agree that the defense is woeful and needs resources in the form of both draft picks and quality free agents. However, when we look at the existing dedicated financial resources to the offense how is that possible?

Positional Players Signed for 2021 by Positional Cost

Offense $109.3M (This figure does not include Dak obviously)

Defense $64.2M

Special Teams $6.1M

Top 10 Cap Hit Players Signed for 2021

DE Lawrence $25M
WR Cooper $22M
OG Martin $17M
LT Smith $14M
RB Elliott $13.7M
RT Collins $12M
ILB Smith $9.8M
CB Brown $5.75M
TE Jarwin $5.25M
LB LVE $3.7M

The Dallas front office has made a purposeful effort in dedicated money heavily toward the offense and as was seen this past season, no matter how many points the offense scores that simply does not equate to wins. So what is the answer? While of course reworking some of the above contracts is an option, kicking the can down the road continues to plague this team. Also keep in mind that the likes of LVE and WR Gallup will soon be free agents and the majority of the Dallas secondary are free agents this off-season.

I know myself and many on here are not in favor of re-signing Dak to an expensive new contract. While we recognize that Dak has the ability to put up the numbers, we also recognize that dedicating even more resources toward the offense leaves thew defense with an empty cupboard. That said, we also recognize it means finding a replacement QB and committing to a major rebuild. While we all may want Dallas to win, I think we all can agree that they have not created a winning formula in years and chances are high that while JJ is in charge a major rebuild simply will not happen and we will all be relegated to *****ing and moaning to one another about the glory days of Dallas winning.
All good points . And I’d agree we have over invested offensively. Using our 1st rd pick was another luxury we couldn’t afford especially after just inking Cooper. And of course the Elliott deal looks foolish too. As that doesn’t even include all of the bust and poor risk made on defense.

But these missteps aren’t Daks fault. We were told there’d be money left for our QB. 35, 40 million. 4 or 5 million is going to make the difference in how this dysfunctional organization builds their roster? I don’t buy that.

And in order to build the defense we must hit early and often in the draft. It’s not like we’ve had any success in FA and that 4-5 million is going to be the difference. Again I don’t buy.

If our plan is to find another QB then this team will be put on hold until that happens. Which Id argue wasn’t the plan when we hired McCarthy . It’s built to win now with this core of talent on offense while retooling defensively. Otherwise we’ll be wasting the recent signings we have made on offense until we draft and develop our next QB.

No, it’s beginning to sound like the divide in our fan base isn’t just about a few million a year. It’s more about whether Dak is a bonafide Franchise QB which the numbers , performance and results certainly would support.

This doesn’t mean he’s an Elite QB. And being in the top 5 paid for a season or two doesn’t mean he’s one of the best QB’s in the league. That’s how the market works if your a Franchise QB. New contracts place you in a higher category until the next new contracts come out in the coming years.

Would we prefer Dak taking less ? Of course but that doesn’t appear to be reality . And I certainly have no confidence this franchise will overcome losing him in the immediate future. Not at the competitive and contending levels we’ve seen in 2016 and 2018. And or the production and performance in recent years. It’s a greater risk IMO especially for this dysfunctional organization.

I haven’t been a big supporter of Dak overall and been critical in some aspects . But all of my insiders I trust locally are telling me signing Dak appears to be a no brainer for much of the reasons I’ve expressed.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
All good points . And I’d agree we have over invested offensively. Using our 1st rd pick was another luxury we couldn’t afford especially after just inking Cooper. And of course the Elliott deal looks foolish too. As that doesn’t even include all of the bust and poor risk made on defense.

But these missteps aren’t Daks fault. We were told there’d be money left for our QB. 35, 40 million. 4 or 5 million is going to make the difference in how this dysfunctional organization builds their roster? I don’t buy that.

And in order to build the defense we must hit early and often in the draft. It’s not like we’ve had any success in FA and that 4-5 million is going to be the difference. Again I don’t buy.

If our plan is to find another QB then this team will be put on hold until that happens. Which Id argue wasn’t the plan when we hired McCarthy . It’s built to win now with this core of talent on offense while retooling defensively. Otherwise we’ll be wasting the recent signings we have made on offense until we draft and develop our next QB.

No, it’s beginning to sound like the divide in our fan base isn’t just about a few million a year. It’s more about whether Dak is a bonafide Franchise QB which the numbers , performance and results certainly would support.

This doesn’t mean he’s an Elite QB. And being in the top 5 paid for a season or two doesn’t mean he’s one of the best QB’s in the league. That’s how the market works if your a Franchise QB. New contracts place you in a higher category until the next new contracts come out in the coming years.

Would we prefer Dak taking less ? Of course but that doesn’t appear to be reality . And I certainly have no confidence this franchise will overcome losing him in the immediate future. Not at the competitive and contending levels we’ve seen in 2016 and 2018. And or the production and performance in recent years. It’s a greater risk IMO especially for this dysfunctional organization.

I haven’t been a big supporter of Dak overall and been critical in some aspects . But all of my insiders I trust locally are telling me signing Dak appears to be a no brainer for much of the reasons I’ve expressed.

Based on recent history sadly the FO sucks with the defensive picks (passing on TJ Watt for Charlton, passing on Thornhill for Hill, drafting injury prone LB's in LVE and Smith, etc.)

At the end of the day I truly believe Jerry Jones is not as interested in winning as simply just trying to stay on the front page with the drama headlines (firing a HC or not, signing Dak or not, etc.)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Based on recent history sadly the FO sucks with the defensive picks (passing on TJ Watt for Charlton, passing on Thornhill for Hill, drafting injury prone LB's in LVE and Smith, etc.)

At the end of the day I truly believe Jerry Jones is not as interested in winning as simply just trying to stay on the front page with the drama headlines (firing a HC or not, signing Dak or not, etc.)
How much different does this team look if we hadn’t missed on those defensive picks?

If we had missed that bad offensively we wouldn’t have anything .

This is why Jethro hangs onto his key talent. He realizes he doesn’t have the ability to continue to hit in the draft.

Jethro has honestly and openly stated his priority to remain “ relevant and interesting “. Signing Dak fits those priorities. Much like Cooper and Elliott did.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Its simple imo.. Dak is simply not talented enough to paid in the same ballpark as Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, etc...
Sure. It's simple if you want to be wrong about how contracts work.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its simple imo.. Dak is simply not talented enough to paid in the same ballpark as Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, etc... Blaming Dak's contract demands to be paid as the one of the highest NFL QBs because that is what the market bears for NFL QBs , seems disingenuous. i would seriously question Dak's talent if he was to be paid as one of the elite QBs. Does Dak make his teammates better? Is Dak talented enough to put his team on his back to win games? Playoff games? If Dak was to be paid in the same ballpark as ,say Mahomes, I would expect similar Ws and Ls. These are the questions I would ask if Dak was paidi like an elite QB.
Paying Franchise QB’s market price is a common place in the NFL. It’s not necessarily a reflection of their pecking order in the league.

While Prescott could be top 5 in Salary this year it’s not likely he’ll maintain that status for more than a year or two as new contracts in coming years surpass.

And Franchise QB aren’t necessarily defined as Elite QB’s.

To answer some of your questions ; I’d say yes, Dak has illustrated carrying the offense on his back. And his stats and production would support a Franchise QB status. The team results would support as well with two playoff appearances twice on the brink of a championship appearance all without a good defense.

And you don’t have to perform at Mahomes level to be paid in the neighborhood. We will see QB’s surpass his contract in the coming years without meeting or surpassing his team achievements. Watson practically has already . I’m sure Jackson and others in coming years will as well. Dak certainly has produced enough to be in those other QB’s neighborhood.

kskboys

Reaction score
Paying Franchise QB’s market price is a common place in the NFL. It’s not necessarily a reflection of their pecking order in the league.

While Prescott could be top 5 in Salary this year it’s not likely he’ll maintain that status for more than a year or two as new contracts in coming years surpass.

And Franchise QB aren’t necessarily defined as Elite QB’s.

To answer some of your questions ; I’d say yes, Dak has illustrated carrying the offense on his back. And his stats and production would support a Franchise QB status. The team results would support as well with two playoff appearances twice on the brink of a championship appearance all without a good defense.

And you don’t have to perform at Mahomes level to be paid in the neighborhood. We will see QB’s surpass his contract in the coming years without meeting or surpassing his team achievements. Watson practically has already . I’m sure Jackson and others in coming years will as well. Dak certainly has produced enough to be in those other QB’s neighborhood.
Dak would've already been paid if he'd have been willing to do a Mahomes-like contract.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Sure. It's simple if you want to be wrong about how contracts work.
I don't care about contracts. Stephen Jones is a highly qualified capologist, let him worry about that.. I would care about overevaluating and overpaying Dak though.

jjktkk

Reaction score
This type of post right here shows a complete lack of understanding of football and QB play.
Ws and Ls Roy, Ws and Ls.
If Dak was as talented as you and others make him out to be, Jerry would of paid him yesterday.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't care about contracts. Stephen Jones is a highly qualified capologist, let him worry about that.. I would care about overevaluating and overpaying Dak though.
Uh, this is caring about contracts.

Idk what your definition of overpaying Dak would be, but let's just say that making more than Aaron Rodgers isn't an overpay, especially since Rodgers signed an extension in 2018 at 34 years old. Even if he is better than Dak, Dak's still going to get more. That's what I mean by "how contracts works." It is almost never Player A is better than Player B, so Player B shouldn't get more than Player A. That's not the reality of professional sports, especially with a rising cap.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Okay, sound position to have.

That said, we all agree that the defense is woeful and needs resources in the form of both draft picks and quality free agents. However, when we look at the existing dedicated financial resources to the offense how is that possible?

Positional Players Signed for 2021 by Positional Cost

Offense $109.3M (This figure does not include Dak obviously)

QB's $2.6M 2.4%
RB's $16.2M 14.8%
FB's $1.75M 1.6%
WR's $30M 27.4%
TE's $7.9M 7.2%
OL $52.2M 47.8%

Defense $64.2M

DL $31.5M 49.1%
LB's $16.9M 26.3%
CB's/S's $15.6M 24.3%

Special Teams $6.1M

Top 10 Cap Hit Players Signed for 2021 (cap % of respective position group listed)

DE Lawrence $25M (79.4%)
WR Cooper $22M (73.3%)
OG Martin $17M (32.6%)
LT Smith $14M (26.8%)
RB Elliott $13.7M (84.6%)
RT Collins $12M (23%)
ILB Smith $9.8M (58%)
CB Brown $5.75M (36.9%)
TE Jarwin $5.25M (66.5%)
LB LVE $3.7M (21.9%)

The Dallas front office has made a purposeful effort in dedicated money heavily toward the offense and as was seen this past season, no matter how many points the offense scores that simply does not equate to wins. So what is the answer? While of course reworking some of the above contracts is an option, kicking the can down the road continues to plague this team. Also keep in mind that the likes of LVE and WR Gallup will soon be free agents and the majority of the Dallas secondary are free agents this off-season.

I know myself and many on here are not in favor of re-signing Dak to an expensive new contract. While we recognize that Dak has the ability to put up the numbers, we also recognize that dedicating even more resources toward the offense leaves thew defense with an empty cupboard. That said, we also recognize it means finding a replacement QB and committing to a major rebuild. While we all may want Dallas to win, I think we all can agree that they have not created a winning formula in years and chances are high that while JJ is in charge a major rebuild simply will not happen and we will all be relegated to *****ing and moaning to one another about the glory days of Dallas winning.

getting rid of your franchise qb in his prime and your best player and team leader because you mismanaged the roster makes no sense.

Defense has to be rebuilt through the draft with inexpensive talent.

Zeke, smith, and Cooper need to be gone on offense in the next year or two. Can’t draft lamb and keep Cooper.

Jaylon also has to go. That opens up gobs of money in 2022. Have to hit on the next 2 drafts.

Ramsey for Zeke, tj watt for taco, rapp for hill and this defense is looking great right now.

can’t keep blowing the draft.

draft and overpaying for guys like Zeke are the big issues.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The stats that count are W's and O's. It's why they keep score. Dak was 1 and 3 this year when he went down. Sure the defense and OL left a lot to be desired, which is another reason not to pay him what he wants. Pay Dak the big salary, neglecting the OL and defense and it will be another 25 years before Dallas is in a Super Bowl.

FYI, the last time Dallas played in a conference championship, Tom Brady was in high school in California. He plays on Sunday against Aaron Rogers. You might want to tune in to see what real QB's look like. I don't know what their stats are vs. Dak's but I do know one of them is going to the Super Bowl while Dak is telling fans to "Hold my crutches."
Qb’s don’t have records teams do. WL is great at analyzing the team. Not great for individual players or offense or defense.

but that doesn’t suit your agenda. So in order to discredit dak you have to take the lack of success of the team overall and the defense and discount how well he plays qb.

bottom line.....it’s all you got.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ws and Ls Roy, Ws and Ls.
If Dak was as talented as you and others make him out to be, Jerry would of paid him yesterday.

Dak doesn’t play defense. It’s the big hole in your theory. Jerry did pay him.....31 million and refused to let him walk.

Dak will be here for years. Crying about it won’t do any good sad little troll.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Aren't "wins/losses" the most important stat? Jmo, but todays social media has really made overanalyzing stats the norm. Whatever happened to passing the eye test and the "it" factor?
Yes. What are his wins/losses compared to other QB’s over his career?

Because the it factor and eye test are subjective.

ICP

Reaction score
So was Romo, Dallas QB's always have to because Jerry and Company refuse to and SUCK at putting a quality defense together. Man just imagine what a train wreck this team would have been the past few years if they wouldn't have lucked out with the Prescott pick

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Our FO hadn't enjoyed nearly the success with the defense in the past, largely due to going with the opinions of their coaches rather than the scouts. Jerry had admitted to as much in the past, although, he failed to adapt to what he promised to do in the future.

Yet, I'm hoping Jerry and son are willing to allow those who know defense better than what Marinelli did. He was highly responsible for some of our worst miscues. There were several that could have gone considerably better, as we all know.

Maybe Will McClay and Quinn will get together and arrive at some workable choices before the draft. It seems there's nowhere to go but forward, even though this surely isn't the best year for defensive talent to be had. o_O

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
Qb’s don’t have records teams do. WL is great at analyzing the team. Not great for individual players or offense or defense.

but that doesn’t suit your agenda. So in order to discredit dak you have to take the lack of success of the team overall and the defense and discount how well he plays qb.

bottom line.....it’s all you got.
Incorrect - QBs on all levels of football are attributed a Win-Loss record based on the number of games they start. You may believe it is a bogus statistic; but it is counted and noted in high school, college, and professional football record books.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Tag incoming unless hes going to take around 33 per. And the tag should be only to trade him. If they weren't sold yet not going to be sold now imo.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dak has 1 playoff win in 5 years now and to be honest Zeke won that game. Dak is like a puffer fish. Inflated stats but not dangerous.