Twitter: Dak Prescott is one of the most high flying passers in the game

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Every credible ex-player and coach who’s paid to cover this sport believes Dak is a damn good QB.

Have you ever noticed how nobody holds him up as an example of what they want in a QB though? Its always Russ, AR, TB, Mahomes etc. when they do clips about technique, arm talent, mastery of the game, etc..
Shouldn't we interpret that as where on the "good" scale they really believe he is.

Nav22

Reaction score
Have you ever noticed how nobody holds him up as an example of what they want in a QB though? Its always Russ, AR, TB, Mahomes etc. when they do clips about technique, arm talent, mastery of the game, etc..
Shouldn't we interpret that as where on the "good" scale they really believe he is.
He’s universally recognized as a top 10 QB by those same analysts. The stats back that up as well.

You don’t get rid of young, top 10 NFL QBs. Period. You hold onto them for dear life and try to build a great team around them.

Reactions: CWR

USArmyVet

Reaction score
He’s universally recognized as a top 10 QB by those same analysts. The stats back that up as well.

You don’t get rid of young, top 10 NFL QBs. Period. You hold onto them for dear life and try to build a great team around them.

Ummm....Dak's been on the team 5 years now......when does all his 'greatness' start????

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Ummm....Dak's been on the team 5 years now......when does all his 'greatness' start????

You still don't get that a defense matters... do you?

Yes he's 1-2 in the playoffs, but you need a defense to compete in the playoffs otherwise we will certainly be bounced sooner if not later.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

8-12 is what I see most say... and that's in a era where a lot of top 10 QBs are retiring. So it's not universal.

If you aren't convinced a QB can get you a SB, you should be shopping. No guarantee you find him but you gotta look. Maybe Dak could win one. But there is a lot of doubt that he can carry a team against top competition.

Nav22

Reaction score
You’re one of the know-nothings I was referring to earlier. Don’t hurt yourself trying to understand this sport.

Reactions: CWR

Nav22

Reaction score
8-12 is what I see most say... and that's in a era where a lot of top 10 QBs are retiring. So it's not universal.

If you aren't convinced a QB can get you a SB, you should be shopping. No guarantee you find him but you gotta look. Maybe Dak could win one. But there is a lot of doubt that he can carry a team against top competition.
You don’t give up a top 12 QB either.

Top 12 QBs can win a Super Bowl with the right pieces around them. It’s been proven over and over and over again in this league.

Incidentally, it’s also been proven that the most elite QBs ALSO need a great team around them to win a Super Bowl. So there’s that.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're going to get Rockport on a tear again. He insists that 40m doesn't equal 40m when it comes to calculating cap space. I'll admit I don't understand how that is calculated, and frankly I don't care. But he seems to feel he's the expert there and will insult anyone who claims that a 40m contract will count 40m against the cap.

40M is an average. Dallas can give him a huge signing bonus and spread that out over 5 years........ they can structure the contract so it doesn't sting for a year or 2 but that's just kicking the can down the road. This is what happened to Houston. They went "all in" and signed D Watson to a huge contract whose teeth didn't really sink in until 2021. Their plan didn't work and now they can't rebuild the team with that contract weighing them down.

We have too many issues to address to go "all in" this next season and re-sign Dak to a huge contract that gives a year or 2 of cap relief. We literally have 1 good player in our secondary at the moment.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
40M is an average. Dallas can give him a huge signing bonus and spread that out over 5 years........ they can structure the contract so it doesn't sting for a year or 2 but that's just kicking the can down the road. This is what happened to Houston. They went "all in" and signed D Watson to a huge contract whose teeth didn't really sink in until 2021. Their plan didn't work and now they can't rebuild the team with that contract weighing them down.

We have too many issues to address to go "all in" this next season and re-sign Dak to a huge contract that gives a year or 2 of cap relief. We literally have 1 good player in our secondary at the moment.
we don't care, dak deserves it. who cares if we never win as long as dak is paid. you troll

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't agree. They did have a plan and Lynch and Cook were all part of the same plan. A lot of people call out Lynch and Cook but they were better prospects, then Dak. They didn't go to an All Pro team where all the stars lined up. If they had, who knows what might have happened. Dak started from day one that season so all of this, only when stuff amounts to nothing. He was the starter day one of his rookie season.
But the plan was always to draft a guy that you could build around. Romo was never the long term plan but at that point, he was the starter that might get you a championship and the Bridge.
So they didn't take him because they thought he was what was left over? They specifically took him because they knew they could "build a team around him".

That's not how I remember the draft selection going. If you have some quotes and sources....?
{shrug}.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
You still don't get that a defense matters... do you?

Yes he's 1-2 in the playoffs, but you need a defense to compete in the playoffs otherwise we will certainly be bounced sooner if not later.

Dallas averaged 27 points per game scored in 2019 and 21 points against per game in 2019....yet Dallas finished 8-8.....there were a handful of games where Dak disappeared which in the NFL makes all the difference....just a handful of games.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
You’re one of the know-nothings I was referring to earlier. Don’t hurt yourself trying to understand this sport.

Oh look, you name call as a way to deflect emotions from being hurt with those that criticize your precious Dak.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You don’t give up a top 12 QB either.

Top 12 QBs can win a Super Bowl with the right pieces around them. It’s been proven over and over and over again in this league. Certainly, but it is MUCH harder. The game is designed so that great QB's allow you more margin for error than average QB's. But when you say its been proven over & over that is an exagerration. Since 2000, Dilfer, Flacco, Eli twice & Peyton in Denver are the only winners that you could argue weren't top 10 QB's they year they won. Of those Flacco & Eli clearly played like a top QB during the playoffs. Otherwise, its a list of the elite QB's.

Incidentally, it’s also been proven that the most elite QBs ALSO need a great team around them to win a Super Bowl. So there’s that.
Its a Championship so certainly you need a team playing well as a whole.

DaveRowe

Reaction score
The difference there is that Coach Landry wasn't afraid to bring in a Staubach to compete. This team would never do that. See, that's the real problem with all of that. Morton was a good QB and he proved that in Denver by getting them to the Super Bowl but Staubach is arguably one of the greatest players to ever play in the NFL. I would hardly compare the two situations. It's not fair to Dak, if nothing else. But I do agree with you, it can't be done if you don't have the resources to build the team around him. I too, believe that.[/QUOTE]

The point that I was trying to make (I admit poorly) is that there is a damn big difference between a damn good QB and a real winning QB’s who win Super Bowls like Staubach, Bradshaw, Montana, Brady, et al.

I want Dak to be great but posting stats like many won't make him great. Look at Brady's stats in his last Super Bowl win, they were very average at best but with the game on the line, he was fabulous.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So they didn't take him because they thought he was what was left over? They specifically took him because they knew they could "build a team around him".

That's not how I remember the draft selection going. If you have some quotes and sources....?
{shrug}.

No, this is not it at all either. The team had a plan. The plan was to draft and start trying to develop a young QB. They did their scouting work and that's how you got QBs rated. Dak was not the first choice but that doesn't mean the team wasn't aware of him and didn't place a certain value on him. Was he rated as highly? No, he wasn't but the team believed in him enough to draft him so that suggests they did have a plan and they did do some homework. I don't think you need quotes to prove that this is how most teams in the NFL operate.

{shrug}

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The difference there is that Coach Landry wasn't afraid to bring in a Staubach to compete. This team would never do that. See, that's the real problem with all of that. Morton was a good QB and he proved that in Denver by getting them to the Super Bowl but Staubach is arguably one of the greatest players to ever play in the NFL. I would hardly compare the two situations. It's not fair to Dak, if nothing else. But I do agree with you, it can't be done if you don't have the resources to build the team around him. I too, believe that.

The point that I was trying to make (I admit poorly) is that there is a damn big difference between a damn good QB and a real winning QB’s who win Super Bowls like Staubach, Bradshaw, Montana, Brady, et al.

I want Dak to be great but posting stats like many won't make him great. Look at Brady's stats in his last Super Bowl win, they were very average at best but with the game on the line, he was fabulous.

There is a difference but there is also a difference in the game between now and then. In those days, you could take a QB high and replace him with a guy taken lower because you didn't have to invest in that lower round draft pick with mega contract deals. You could also afford to wait on things like trades etc. There was no players union or salary cap so it didn't impact the way you could put together your team. Today, you can't wait, you can't afford to. You have 4, 5 years max, to take advantage a cheap rookie deal before cap implications start forcing you to tear down your team. Of course, you probably know and understand all of this but there again, just conversation.

Most fans don't understand the difference between good QB play and posting stats. We live in a Fantasy Football era now. Most fans don't want to hear that stats are not the most important thing, when it comes to being a good QB in the NFL. They also don't want to hear that they don't understand. It is what it is.