Dak Prescott Next Gen Stats - Time to Throw 1 in NFL Week 1

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This is something I'm surprised I haven't seen covered by anyone in the Dallas Press. One of the promises of Coach Mac's new offense was that Dak would get the ball out much faster. Always look for the easy mismatches, less option routes, and an offense that is built more for the line's benefit. Last year he was almost in the middle of NFL quarterbacks. Nothing to write home about. I know it's just one week, but last week he was #1 in the NFL in that metric. 2.45 seconds. Shaved a half second off of last year's average which in NFL QB pocket times is probably a lifetime.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2022/REG/all#average-time-to-throw

btgboys41

Reaction score
I don’t really know how important or effective this metric is or will be. If the passing game is better, then I’m all for it. There was nothing special (either bad or good) about the passing game. I look forward to a larger sample size to see if this is in fact, an improvement.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
To add to this:

- I recall reading an article in preseason how our offense was one of the best at this even with the backup QBs.

- Looking through the Next Gen Stats, I never realized how bad we were at this in the Kellen years. I almost forgot about it after Dak's rookie year because one of his strengths was quick accurate reads.

erod

Reaction score
Whatever it takes to squeeze what you can out of him, I'm all for it.

But will that work against the truly good teams?

Teams will adjust to this.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is something I'm surprised I haven't seen covered by anyone in the Dallas Press. One of the promises of Coach Mac's new offense was that Dak would get the ball out much faster. Always look for the easy mismatches, less option routes, and an offense that is built more for the line's benefit. Last year he was almost in the middle of NFL quarterbacks. Nothing to write home about. I know it's just one week, but last week he was #1 in the NFL in that metric. 2.45 seconds. Shaved a half second off of last year's average which in NFL QB pocket times is probably a lifetime.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2022/REG/all#average-time-to-throw
one game is too small a sample size.. In my opinion nothing should be judged from a game that was played on the road game one in bad weather with no preseason.. And I'm talking about the good and the bad even them overhyping the way Gilmore and curse played when the pass rush is what created no time for the quarterback to throw yet we're drooling over their coverage skills?? What we need to do is just see this as a nice W and move on to the next game..

When we have enough games a big enough sample size we'll be able to judge how this new offense and this team looks for real..

By the way I've never really liked the new NFL and all the analytics and the next Gen. stats and all this crazy crap people breakdown games good or bad I just not buying any of it especially after only one game...

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don’t really know how important or effective this metric is or will be. If the passing game is better, then I’m all for it. There was nothing special (either bad or good) about the passing game. I look forward to a larger sample size to see if this is in fact, an improvement.
:hammer:100

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Dak has pretty typically been one of the fastest in the league in this regard, and it's made better by the fact that he's also among the leaders in air yards.

2.37 is a blip, and eventually, they'll have to get the ball downfield more. This isn't some fundamental shift in throwing hte football.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of 2.3 seconds it gives your OL some relief.
I know it's weird but when I'm watching the game now, I do one Mississippi 2 Mississippi three Mississippi if the ball's not out I start getting nervous.... I've been doing this for a decade probably got it from bill Parcells the way it used to treat Tony Romo and practices...

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Dak has pretty typically been one of the fastest in the league in this regard, and it's made better by the fact that he's also among the leaders in air yards.

2.37 is a blip, and eventually, they'll have to get the ball downfield more. This isn't some fundamental shift in throwing hte football.
Not true at all. I thought so too. Go look at the link. Only has last 5 years which are basically the Kellen Years. I didn't find a year he was tops in the league, and some seasons he was closer to the bottom.

I preface this with someone may say "so what" in 2.3 seconds vs 2.7 seconds, but trust me, it matters. The speed of the game is the #1 reason why College QBs fail. They can't adjust.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Not true at all. I thought so too. Go look at the link. Only has last 5 years which are basically the Kellen Years. I didn't find a year he was tops in the league, and some seasons he was closer to the bottom.

I preface this with someone may say "so what" in 2.3 seconds vs 2.7 seconds, but trust me, it matters. The speed of the game is the #1 reason why College QBs fail. They can't adjust.
He's right around the top 10 in 2022 and 2021. 2019 was lower, but he was top 5 in air yards.

The idea that Time to Throw is tied is reflective of Dak's ability to process the speed of the game is ridiculous. Like all QBs, it took some time, but after 2018 he has been one of the best at getting the ball out AND delivering the ball downfield.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Getting the ball out of Prescott's hands and into the hands of the playmakers is the right thing to do. Nothing good happens when Dak is forced to survey the field and actually make a calculated throw.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
He's right around the top 10 in 2022 and 2021. 2019 was lower, but he was top 5 in air yards.

The idea that Time to Throw is tied is reflective of Dak's ability to process the speed of the game is ridiculous. Like all QBs, it took some time, but after 2018 he has been one of the best at getting the ball out AND delivering the ball downfield.
He's only in the top 10 one season since 2018, and he's #10. For sure there is room for improvement.

For Super Bowl sake, I'm hoping it was the offensive scheme, and not Mr. Prescott.

Hey, this is how it feels to be in one of those Dak threads. Interesting.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
He's only in the top 10 one season since 2018. For sure there is room for improvement.

For Super Bowl sake, I'm hoping it was the offensive scheme, and not Mr. Prescott.

Hey, this is how it feels to be in one of those Dak threads. Interesting.
While there is a significant difference between, say, 2.4 and 2.7, there isn't between 2.68 and 2.72. That difference can move a QB from t-13 to 8.

You also have to filter out backups and part-time starters whos numbers can be grossly skewed by single games (i.e. Wentz, Rush, Stafford last year).

But the point isn't whether he's in the top-10 or not. When you account for things like game script, scrambling, and air yards, the difference between ranking 8 and 13 is meaningless. Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Justin Herbert hold onto the ball FOREVER, relative to Dak. Do they struggle with processing to?

JeffInDC

Reaction score
The Jets game is where Dink & Dak is an ABSOLUTE need - Nate and Jessie gave such a great analysis of the Jets D yesterday. Don't try to be cute and play into their hands - wear them down. Take whatever they give you and exploit the BLEEP out of it. Force the Jets O to win the game. PERIOD!!!

Proof

Reaction score
To add to this:

- I recall reading an article in preseason how our offense was one of the best at this even with the backup QBs.

- Looking through the Next Gen Stats, I never realized how bad we were at this in the Kellen years. I almost forgot about it after Dak's rookie year because one of his strengths was quick accurate reads.
with kellen (and garrett) it was by design though, no? routes were longer developing.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
But the point isn't whether he's in the top-10 or not. When you account for things like game script, scrambling, and air yards, the difference between ranking 8 and 13 is meaningless. Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Justin Herbert hold onto the ball FOREVER, relative to Dak. Do they struggle with processing to?
Well.. my argument on that is pretty simple. Love the dude, but Dak is NO Patrick Mahomes. Why would you even think he could do it the same, and run his offense.

I would say drop the pride and just run what works best. Cater the offense to the strengths and opportunities of the roster.