Dak Prescott or Trey Lance? Part I: Worst-case scenario for the Cowboys

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apparently they think the only options are Dak, Rush or Lance.. Lance is on a 1 year too.. Who cares if he ends up sucking?
Yeah, and if he does stink, we pick really high!
To me, this is the biggest win-win we've had in years.
Decades maybe
I'll be waiting for the book to come out telling who got in jerry's ear during training camp last summer because everything changed. In Dakville.

Kwyn

Reaction score
If the Cowboys resign Dak, the Trey Lance trade looks like Jerry just threw a 4th round draft pick in the fireplace.

I guess we will see a lot of Lance this coming pre-season but looking good in ps games is not often a clear indication of readiness for regular season success. PS games usually feature defenders who will either never play a down of NFL regular season football or will only be serving as ST’ers and backups.
Fireplace?

Is a fourth round pick an insane price for a backup QB? Sure, you can always pick up a journeyman but the pick was to get someone who at least is unknown with a slight potential to be something.

Teams miss on fourth rounders all the time. It’s not like what SF did as far as risk. Not even close.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Has any poster here ever said this? I can’t recall anyone other than people who dislike Dak coming with this angle.
Yep, there's so much written about Rush not being a starter and now criticism of Lance, it makes you think there's a portion of the fan base that doesnt want any pressure on Dak.

Qcard

Reaction score
Both of the scenarios in this article are explained in detail.

If the Cowboys front office is playing with fire when it comes to Dak Prescott and his contract situation, here’s how the whole thing could burn to the ground.
By Dan Rogers Apr 21, 2024

The Dak Prescott contract saga with the Dallas Cowboys has dominated the headlines this offseason. And every time Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, or Prescott himself speaks, more fuel is added to the fire as fans are left wondering if the quarterback we’ve cheered on the last eight years will be wearing the star after the upcoming season.

Adding more spice to this ordeal is the trade for former third-overall pick Trey Lance last fall. What was that about? The front office has been opaque about their plans for Lance, and the uncertainty only heightens when they speak vaguely about Prescott’s future. What in tarnation are they up to?

We don’t know. We think we might know. Some of us (raises hand) feel strongly that this three-time Pro Bowl quarterback who finished second in NFL MVP voting last year isn’t going anywhere. However, in the spirit of being open-minded, all doors are open. The Joneses are coming off their most frugal free agency spending offseason we’ve ever seen, so believing they might try to skate away from an expensive franchise quarterback to a much more affordable quarterback who is just 23 years old isn’t out of the realm of possibility. For that reason, we’ll examine both sides of the equation. Let’s get the bad part out of the way as today we look at the worst-case scenarios of how this could play out.

WORST CASE SCENARIO - Move on from Dak, Trey isn’t the answer

SECOND WORST CASE - Re-sign Dak, and let Trey walk after the 2024 season

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-lance-quarterback-future-jerry-stephen-jones

1455634550.0.jpg
These off-season Narratives are really "special" :laugh:

Here is Trey Lance's blue print Dak Prescott

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
You really believe that 16 team was better than the 14 squad? Id have to respectfully disagree
No I don't believe it was because the 2016 team didn't have Romo playing for it. Otherwise, it would have been.

I bet that wasn't the viewpoint you were expecting though. :)

NotForLong

Reaction score
Then why isn't he included in the conversations now.........since Dak is the unfavorite? It's been overwhelmingly Trey Lance, since his arrival. Many posts were on the Cooper Bandwagon during his 5-game stint......do the research. Just sayin'. I stand by reading "fan club" posts.
Intentionally dfense

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yeah, and if he does stink, we pick really high!
To me, this is the biggest win-win we've had in years.
Decades maybe
I'll be waiting for the book to come out telling who got in jerry's ear during training camp last summer because everything changed. In Dakville.
Lance isn’t the starter :facepalm:

MarkP88

Reaction score
Fireplace?

Is a fourth round pick an insane price for a backup QB? Sure, you can always pick up a journeyman but the pick was to get someone who at least is unknown with a slight potential to be something.

Teams miss on fourth rounders all the time. It’s not like what SF did as far as risk. Not even close.
That might make sense if we had him for more than just this year.

starfan1

Reaction score
No I don't believe it was because the 2016 team didn't have Romo playing for it. Otherwise, it would have been.

I bet that wasn't the viewpoint you were expecting though. :)
Ok that’s good one ! I’m not a big Romo guy but 14 Romo was better than 16 Dak without a doubt

I do like Murray better than Zeke and I like 14 Bryant and Witten better than 16 versions I also like the 14 line better but that’s splitting hairs

I don’t like either defense much

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I honestly think that the best way to handle the situation with Trey Lance is to try him as an option to replace Rush rather than Dak. His experience as a starter in the preseason would be mostly against backup players, which wouldn't offer the best picture of his belonging as a starter. If he's unable to beat out Rush for the backup spot, it's probable that he would best be traded, waived or relegated our #3 backup QB. I think it'd be foolish to hurry him into being a starter and risk taking several years, or even more, to find a starting QB and fully develop him.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Has any poster here ever said this? I can’t recall anyone other than people who dislike Dak coming with this angle.
Which part are you disputing, the criticism of Rush being a starter or Trance. Coming to think of it Dalton got the same treatment......why so threatened?

Kwyn

Reaction score
Which part are you disputing, the criticism of Rush being a starter or Trance. Coming to think of it Dalton got the same treatment......why so threatened?
Im certainly not “threatened”. You just created a straw man argument and I was asking if you actually believed that or were just trying to rile people up.

I think it’s ridiculous to think that Dak would be thereatened by either Rush or Lance from a skill perspective. Neither of those guys will ever lead a team to a season long playoff run and then playoff success.

And, for the record, I’ve been supporting a rebuild including a new QB for some time now. I just don’t have any illusions that person is on the roster.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think it’s ridiculous to think that Dak would be thereatened by either Rush or Lance from a skill perspective. Neither of those guys will ever lead a team to a season long playoff run and then playoff success.
Did I say Dak was threatened??? I think I said some FANS write as if they dont want pressure on Dak. 'skill perspective' or prospective play-off success (cough, cough - 8 years, still waiting)

The nuance, that you're missing, is that Lance provides a rational alternative ,in 2024, (IF THE CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS FALL APART). He's akin to playing a rookie QB, He hasnt played for a year and a half and isnt he the same age as three of the top four QB's in the draft (presumably, he learnt our Offense last year). I just dont get why Dak Fans have to demean or criticize him (or Rush for that matter) when supporting their guy.

Is Lance the long term answer - probably not, but he's an upgrade on Rush, and if negotiations fail, there's a distinct possibility that Dak 'holdsout' (nothing to prove playing in a lesser team against a tough schedule and he fears for his health), or we bench him as there's nothing to play for.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The only thing I think could potentially be considered leverage is if they draft qb with a relatively early pick or they pick up Trey Lances fifth year option. Otherwise any talk from the Cowboys is just bluster.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im certainly not “threatened”. You just created a straw man argument and I was asking if you actually believed that or were just trying to rile people up.

And, for the record, I’ve been supporting a rebuild including a new QB for some time now. I just don’t have any illusions that person is on the roster.
Wow...I'm amazed you don;t have your own Super Bowl winning NFL team.

You...don't ...right?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Fireplace?

But he is an emergency back up QB. So, yes it is insane.