Dak Prescott or Trey Lance? Part I: Worst-case scenario for the Cowboys

Chasing6

Reaction score
You aren't keeping them without paying them "mega contracts", so yes, you do want to get rid of them.

You say we'll get worse if those players are moved.

You say Jerry and co. are clueless and not capable of a rebuild.

They already got lucky on a rookie QB - Dak - and it didn't lead to anything in the playoffs, because football is a team sport.

So it sounds like you just want to get rid of our best players for fun, because you're tired of losing in the playoffs. Emotional decisions are almost never the correct ones. 12 wins and a playoff loss is closer to a championship than getting rid of your best players to re-enter the Dave Campo dark days.
:laugh:
I don't think trading CD for mutiple first round picks and more, plus saving $30M a year is emotional. I think that is a very logical decision.

I think 2 #1 picks, and an extra $30M is more valuable than CD. I also feel the same way when it comes to Micah.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The negotiations are now. Lance gives the distinct possibility that if negotiations go south, or Dak doesn't engage that he's benched (an alternative that Rush never realistically gave). You're not looking at the whole picture.
I am looking at it but I don’t believe they would actually bench Dak if he’s healthy. And I don’t see Dak sitting out.

Motorola

Reaction score
Both of the scenarios in this article are explained in detail.

If the Cowboys front office is playing with fire when it comes to Dak Prescott and his contract situation, here’s how the whole thing could burn to the ground.
By Dan Rogers Apr 21, 2024

The Dak Prescott contract saga with the Dallas Cowboys has dominated the headlines this offseason. And every time Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, or Prescott himself speaks, more fuel is added to the fire as fans are left wondering if the quarterback we’ve cheered on the last eight years will be wearing the star after the upcoming season.

Adding more spice to this ordeal is the trade for former third-overall pick Trey Lance last fall. What was that about? The front office has been opaque about their plans for Lance, and the uncertainty only heightens when they speak vaguely about Prescott’s future. What in tarnation are they up to?

We don’t know. We think we might know. Some of us (raises hand) feel strongly that this three-time Pro Bowl quarterback who finished second in NFL MVP voting last year isn’t going anywhere. However, in the spirit of being open-minded, all doors are open. The Joneses are coming off their most frugal free agency spending offseason we’ve ever seen, so believing they might try to skate away from an expensive franchise quarterback to a much more affordable quarterback who is just 23 years old isn’t out of the realm of possibility. For that reason, we’ll examine both sides of the equation. Let’s get the bad part out of the way as today we look at the worst-case scenarios of how this could play out.

WORST CASE SCENARIO - Move on from Dak, Trey isn’t the answer

SECOND WORST CASE - Re-sign Dak, and let Trey walk after the 2024 season

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-lance-quarterback-future-jerry-stephen-jones

1455634550.0.jpg
'big dog cowboy': thanks for the link for other CZers to read.(I'm a daily visitor to 'Bloggingtheboys.com'.

starfan1

Reaction score
Well, the previous year lost Murray and Romo, so that’s why the team went from 12-4 to 4-12. But Zeke was drafted to replace Murray, and it was basically the same as the 12-4 team except better with Zeke and players with more experience.
You really believe that 16 team was better than the 14 squad? Id have to respectfully disagree

blueblood70

Reaction score
I am looking at it but I don’t believe they would actually bench Dak if he’s healthy. And I don’t see Dak sitting out.
Is this guy trying to say that the Dallas Cowboys would bench Prescott if he doesn't engage in negotiations in a contracts not reached that's not gonna happen at all there is zero chance that happens he will play here as long as he's healthy and we're still in the race now if there's no way we can do anything after game 10 and it looks bad for the rest of the season I can see where both Prescott and the Cowboys would say hey why don't you take a seat and then they could play Trey Lance and see what he's got the last 6-7 games..

There is no way in hell and yes I'm saying it I'm putting it in three inch headlines that Prescott if healthy it's on the bench because the Dallas Cowboys are upsetting him for not renegotiating his contract that's not happening literally making $55 million cap hit he's probably gonna play all 17 games the only scenario I see for Trey Lance getting in is our record is terrible or Prescott gets hurt...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak did it all himself.

hardy har har,
well thanks for finally admitting that he didn't do it all by himself and that includes all the playoff losses and all the games we have lost against better teams thanks for finally admitting that he doesn't win or lose all by himself most of it's not his fault at all when we lose and you admitted it here by trying to be cute and say something sarcastic and snarky because whenever we win big Prescott not getting any credit but whenever we lose fans like you blame it all on the quarterback act like hey change the quarterback we'll be back and winning ways some of you think that Cooper rush would play better in the playoffs than Prescott is why guys like you are blocked on my feet but I had to get this in while we're here...

shabazz

Reaction score
always easier said than done But another Sanders wearing the star wouldnt upset me
Nothing is easy but the status quo is Intolerable.

I don't mind them swinging and missing but for God's sake get the damn bat off the shoulder!

starfan1

Reaction score
Nothing is easy but the status quo is Intolerable.

I don't mind them swinging and missing but for God's sake get the damn bat off the shoulder!
for whatever reason dallas hasnt been one to try and draft one early. They struck gold twice with dak and romo but they havend went for one early since QC

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well thanks for finally admitting that he didn't do it all by himself and that includes all the playoff losses and all the games we have lost against better teams thanks for finally admitting that he doesn't win or lose all by himself most of it's not his fault at all when we lose and you admitted it here by trying to be cute and say something sarcastic and snarky because whenever we win big Prescott not getting any credit but whenever we lose fans like you blame it all on the quarterback act like hey change the quarterback we'll be back and winning ways some of you think that Cooper rush would play better in the playoffs than Prescott is why guys like you are blocked on my feet but I had to get this in while we're here...
What do you mean me? I never said losses were all on dak. Ever. Ive said the opposite quite a bit.

See this is a big problem. You lump everyone in a basket, argue that, then act like the board is full of haters. And you need a quest and crusade.

Its nuts.

If you have me saying something diffetent by all means show everyone.

khiladi

Reaction score
There is no way this thing is burning if they let Dak go…. Of course his fanboys already got the latest excuse for him sucking it up, which is the Jones boys didn’t spend in free agency.. how could he win…

khiladi

Reaction score
Thank God for the worst case scenario! Trey is a gift or meh.
Then we draft a QB FINALLY!!
Apparently they think the only options are Dak, Rush or Lance.. Lance is on a 1 year too.. Who cares if he ends up sucking?

khiladi

Reaction score
Yep, there's so much written about Rush not being a starter and now criticism of Lance, it makes you think there's a portion of the fan base that doesnt want any pressure on Dak.
I was fun watching Da fanboys squirm when Rush was 4-1…. Loved their creative excuse at that point in time..

“All they need to do is run the same offense they are running for Rush when Dak gets back!”