Dak Prescott or Trey Lance? Part I: Worst-case scenario for the Cowboys

Chasing6

Reaction score
A good showing in preseason and who knows? You nor I do.
We all know. Pre-season will mean nothing.

Where is Will Greir???

Dak is the starter. So Trance will be a free agent and it will have been 5 years since he last played on a regular bases.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yep, there's so much written about Rush not being a starter and now criticism of Lance, it makes you think there's a portion of the fan base that doesnt want any pressure on Dak.
Trance is not pressure. If he was he would be competing for QB1 and not the back up job.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Pretty good odds of getting one but it depends on if he actually plays somewhere else or not. If so you may get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick. If not you're probably looking at a 7th.....That's also assuming the Cowboys are inactive again in free agency next offseason.
No you are thinking. Maybe that was GM Jethro's play all along. He loves his comp picks.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Then why isn't he included in the conversations now.........since Dak is the unfavorite? It's been overwhelmingly Trey Lance, since his arrival. Many posts were on the Cooper Bandwagon during his 5-game stint......do the research. Just sayin'. I stand by reading "fan club" posts.
The QB's are being evaluated everyday at practice. Just because you don't see it, does not mean it is not happening.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Coop never was the subjectmatter very often. That kind of player that kinda guy.

Except when Dak went down, these people called to TANK NOW! And Coop proceeded to play well enough to save the season. It's a good story, but that's it.

Any new conversation about Coop is brief and rare contract vs payoff...there's nothing really more to talk about.

Dak and possible hotshot Trey....are of course the main attraction here.
Are we trying to make up a conversations?

There is no Dak vs Rush conversation.

There is no Dak vs Trance conversations.

The only current conversation in reality is Trance has an opportunity to compete with Rush during camp and in preseason for the back up position.

They obviously did not see enough last year for it to be anymore that.

For the love of God, you can not play 1 year in college, then sit for the next 5 years and become the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

Do any of you realize how dumb that sounds. We have to have some of the dumbest fans in the NFL.

jgboys1

Reaction score
I don’t care about Trey Lance, I seriously doubt that he is the future. MY worst case scenario is Dallas signing the big three to mega-contracts only to never win a game past the WC round. It will be four to five more years of the same results stuck in purgatory. It’s time to sink or swim………
Same here. I can see, Dak, Cee Dee and Parsons taking like over 50% of our cap space, after signing them to ridiculous bloated contracts which is what I expect the Jones boys to do!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Same here. I can see, Dak, Cee Dee and Parsons taking like over 50% of our cap space, after signing them to ridiculous bloated contracts which is what I expect the Jones boys to do!
I could see them doing it as well and back loading the contracts giving them a small window over the next 2-3 years.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yep, why are certain fans, so concerned about Lance?
I think none of "us" were "concerned " with lance until jerry spent a 4th round draft pick to get him.
He may be very good, or very bad or just avg joe.
I am just curious how he will play in PS and in a real game.

If he isnt way better than cooper rush, jerry wasted that 4th round pick, which they dont have now in this draft coming up in a few days.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think none of "us" were "concerned " with lance until jerry spent a 4th round draft pick to get him.
He may be very good, or very bad or just avg joe.
I am just curious how he will play in PS and in a real game.

If he isnt way better than cooper rush, jerry wasted that 4th round pick, which they dont have now in this draft coming up in a few days.
I am not concerned at all. I expect him to play amazing agains rookies and UDFA against vanilla defense that don't blitz.

He does not look absolutely amazing, then he definitely belongs in Canada.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are we trying to make up a conversations?

There is no Dak vs Rush conversation.

There is no Dak vs Trance conversations.

The only current conversation in reality is Trance has an opportunity to compete with Rush during camp and in preseason for the back up position.

They obviously did not see enough last year for it to be anymore that.

For the love of God, you can not play 1 year in college, then sit for the next 5 years and become the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

Do any of you realize how dumb that sounds. We have to have some of the dumbest fans in the NFL.
Show me where i said trey should be crowned qb1.

All i said was hes a hot topic.

You might take more care calling OTHER people dumb. And see top of page thread.

Last edited:

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
Both of the scenarios in this article are explained in detail.

If the Cowboys front office is playing with fire when it comes to Dak Prescott and his contract situation, here’s how the whole thing could burn to the ground.
By Dan Rogers Apr 21, 2024

The Dak Prescott contract saga with the Dallas Cowboys has dominated the headlines this offseason. And every time Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, or Prescott himself speaks, more fuel is added to the fire as fans are left wondering if the quarterback we’ve cheered on the last eight years will be wearing the star after the upcoming season.

Adding more spice to this ordeal is the trade for former third-overall pick Trey Lance last fall. What was that about? The front office has been opaque about their plans for Lance, and the uncertainty only heightens when they speak vaguely about Prescott’s future. What in tarnation are they up to?

We don’t know. We think we might know. Some of us (raises hand) feel strongly that this three-time Pro Bowl quarterback who finished second in NFL MVP voting last year isn’t going anywhere. However, in the spirit of being open-minded, all doors are open. The Joneses are coming off their most frugal free agency spending offseason we’ve ever seen, so believing they might try to skate away from an expensive franchise quarterback to a much more affordable quarterback who is just 23 years old isn’t out of the realm of possibility. For that reason, we’ll examine both sides of the equation. Let’s get the bad part out of the way as today we look at the worst-case scenarios of how this could play out.

WORST CASE SCENARIO - Move on from Dak, Trey isn’t the answer

SECOND WORST CASE - Re-sign Dak, and let Trey walk after the 2024 season

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-lance-quarterback-future-jerry-stephen-jones

1455634550.0.jpg

Doom and Gloom eh ? chuckle
Did Dak write the article ?

Cya Dak !

Chasing6

Reaction score
Show me where i said trey should be crowned qb1.

All i said was hes a hot topic.

You might take more care calling OTHER people stupid. And see top of page thread.
He is not a hot topic. His name is none existent in the media. The media talks more about us drafting a QB, more than they do about Trance.

He is only a talking point on this board from the fans that have DDS. I feel bad for the kid. He sounds like a great guy, with a lot of athletic ability. However, you can not learn the QB position over night.

He needs to get starting reps anywhere he can get them.

Nav22

Reaction score
I never said to get rid of them and it is clear that I said mega contracts. Yes, I think the FO is clueless and it will get worse if they were moved. But, it will also not get better if all three are retained at a high price…..it will be much of the same, regular season wins with early playoff exits. If the goal is to win a title, then a reset is needed.

I don’t think Jerry and son are capable of a rebuild but they might get lucky on a QB at some point, that’s a start :muttley:
You aren't keeping them without paying them "mega contracts", so yes, you do want to get rid of them.

You say we'll get worse if those players are moved.

You say Jerry and co. are clueless and not capable of a rebuild.

They already got lucky on a rookie QB - Dak - and it didn't lead to anything in the playoffs, because football is a team sport.

So it sounds like you just want to get rid of our best players for fun, because you're tired of losing in the playoffs. Emotional decisions are almost never the correct ones. 12 wins and a playoff loss is closer to a championship than getting rid of your best players to re-enter the Dave Campo dark days.
:laugh:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is not a hot topic. His name is none existent in the media. The media talks more about us drafting a QB, more than they do about Trance.

He is only a talking point on this board from the fans that have DDS. I feel bad for the kid. He sounds like a great guy, with a lot of athletic ability. However, you can not learn the QB position over night.

He needs to get starting reps anywhere he can get them.
Yes....thats what we were talking about. Topics HERE.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You aren't keeping them without paying them "mega contracts", so yes, you do want to get rid of them.

You say we'll get worse if those players are moved.

You say Jerry and co. are clueless and not capable of a rebuild.

They already got lucky on a rookie QB - Dak - and it didn't lead to anything in the playoffs, because football is a team sport.

So it sounds like you just want to get rid of our best players for fun, because you're tired of losing in the playoffs. Emotional decisions are almost never the correct ones. 12 wins and a playoff loss is closer to a championship than getting rid of your best players to re-enter the Dave Campo dark days.
:laugh:
Id say it was dak that got lucky.
Most starting rookies are high draft picks on previously losong teams.
Dak went to a juggernaut with the owner sitting his franchise qb cuz we were on a streak.

Streak ran out.