Dak Prescott QB rating under pressure

HungryLion

Reaction score
But Winston better than Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers in a banner season, Roethlisberger with 2 1400 yard WRs, Luck, Goff, Mahomes, on and on and on? That begins to become unthinkable.

Maybe so. Although we don’t see what the numbers for the guy outside of the top 5 are.

For all we know #15 is only 2-3 QB rating points behind #5. Which is kind of negligible over hundreds of attempts. IMO.

Would be cool to see numbers for all the starters in the NFL.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I would imagine a scramble counts as being under pressure. Unless it’s a designed rollout or bootleg.

Jameis Winston is rather statuesque though.

You’re right though, Having mobility and the ability to scramble around and throw the ball downfield I think definitely gives an advantage for this metric, over a traditional pocket guy. I would think.

Works in Dak’s benefit, definitely, but what about intentional scrambles? Suddenly we might be talking about 10-15 yard pickups that weren’t true pressure plays to begin with. Not saying there aren’t other great Dak stats that threads could be made about, but something is off with this one...

HungryLion

Reaction score
Works in Dak’s benefit, definitely, but what about intentional scrambles? Suddenly we might be talking about 10-15 yard pickups that weren’t true pressure plays to begin with. Not saying there aren’t other great Dak stats that threads could be made about, but something is off with this one...

Yes. There’s definitely a ton of variables.

I do think Dak’s strength helps him with this.

Him holding the ball too long is a weakness for real. But something I think he can improve with time.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
He ranked 5th when pressured, 26th when kept clean.

Wow, Jameis Winston is one weird quarterback. If those numbers were swapped it would make more sense. Tampa Bay should have considered a QB in the first round this year.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Wow, Jameis Winston is one weird quarterback. If those numbers were swapped it would make more sense. Tampa Bay should have considered a QB in the first round this year.

I imagine they are giving him one last season to get it together. Then drafting a QB next year if he doesn’t.

Jameis is a talented guy. He just gets overly aggressive and throws a ton of high risk passes which leads to a lot of turnovers. He needs to learn to protect the football.

He can put up a ton of yards and TD’s though too.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
But Winston better than Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers in a banner season, Roethlisberger with 2 1400 yard WRs, Luck, Goff, Mahomes, on and on and on? That begins to become unthinkable.

Let's not make Winston look like some bum. He outperformed Dak last year in Dallas after all. He just doesn't get a good touch on his throws - often go high and wide, and his mechanics aren't superb, but he has the arm strength to really unleash a ball across his body.

That stat is just saying Winston passes better under pressure, but if you look at his stats in the pocket, they're kinda bad. That's why Winston is never ranked higher than Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, and Brady in cumulative stats.

Nobody's saying he's better than any of those guys. You should never interpret it that way - when a stat is just showing a small portion of overall plays

Last edited:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I imagine they are giving him one last season to get it together. Then drafting a QB next year if he doesn’t.

Jameis is a talented guy. He just gets overly aggressive and throws a ton of high risk passes which leads to a lot of turnovers. He needs to learn to protect the football.

He can put up a ton of yards and TD’s though too.

I just remember last December when Winston had like two or three delay of games on a drive Tampa Bay had 1st and goal against Dallas and they came away with zero points. Dude has talent but just isn't a smart player.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Maybe a little off topic, watch game 2 last year vs the giants and game 14 vs. The eagles.

Against the giants we were 0 and1 and were desperate for a win. This was Dak in his finest. He was running and a few QB keeps and that threw off the defense, he was passing good and I was comfortable all game.

Week 14 against the eagles, no real planned Dak runs, 3 turnovers and we won on a tipped pass.

If I saw the game 2 Dakota every week, I would be very happy.

Number1

Reaction score
:rolleyes:
3043gy.jpg

we'll watch mistakes and jump all over the kid - but facts are facts - he's tearing up record books

we see the flaws in Dak's game and often imagine other QBs don't have issues

with Dak it's wondering into too many sacks when the OL is limping and throwing for 70% but then over throws wide open WRs deep
funny neither was a issue in 2016 when the Boys had a great OL, and TWill and Dez to work with deep

the stat above that impresses me is 14 game winning drives in 3 reg seasons - it reflects toughness

as for the eye ball test - in the pocket or rolling to either side, with time to throw he's as good as any - without time to throw better than most

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Untitled.jpg

If he's #2 in the league in playmaking under pressure AND he's the most clutch QB in the league, the only area where he doesn't dazzle is throwing from the pocket. But he's a pretty good pocket QB, just not a 117.2 rating one, but that'll improve with improved play from his O-line.

You keep the the above charts a bunch of us still trust our eyes and brains....LOL...Here you go Panic Dak so cool that he gets sacked by his own off-lineman.......

conner01

Reaction score
Dak is only under pressure because he holds the ball too long.
He did early in the season more it seemed like
Hopefully we have the receivers to get open so he doesn’t hold it so much
And works on making sure he secures it better

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
That's interesting, and encouraging.
You wouldn't happen to have those numbers handy for that, would you?

Pressured on at least 40% of his dropbacks in the game
2018 (7 games) 142 of 227 1567 yd 10 td 3 int 23 sk 92.2
(8 games) 161 of 257 1526 yd 5 td 12 int 26 sk 66.1
(3 games) 48 of 94 591 yd 4 td 3 int 8 sk 71.3

Pressured on less than 40% of his dropbacks in the game
2018 (11 games) 256 of 364 2810 yd 14 td 6 int 35 sk 98.8
(8 games) 147 of 233 1798 yd 17 td 1 int 6 sk 109.3
(14 games) 287 of 403 3378 yd 22 td 2 int 20 sk 112.5

2018 games with Cooper only
Pressured on at least 40% of his dropbacks in the game
(2 games) 49 of 77 613 yd 5 td 1 int 5 sk 104.5
Pressured on less than 40% of his dropbacks in the game
(9 games) 221 of 308 2347 yd 11 td 4 int 30 sk 100.1

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Over the past three years, when the offense has been healthy and available, it’s been one of the most productive in the league with Dak. There’s sufficient film on him that this state of affairs isn’t likely to change.