Dak Prescott ranked 1 free agent of 2021

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
As my links support. Again and again.
Fun fact. While I was doing a cursory search for those links which was simple, I came across a blurb on Matt Scaub. He was traded for 2 2nd round picks to ATL. He’s made over 100 million in his NFL career.
And folks think this isn’t about the money with Dak. LOL.

Not sure why people think that Bill O'Brien was an anomaly. In fact the GM's in that mold are plentiful.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Quality QB’s in general are pretty rare. Again there’s been two examples of this particular situation in history. So it’s not like there’s a large sample size.

It’s happened twice.

Once prolly worked out for the team
Letting the player walk.....
The Commanders.

once it definitely didn’t help the team letting the QB walk..... the chargers.

so you mention this rare situation that has happened twice. And half the time it was a mistake by the team to let the QB go.

so how is that an argument for or against Dak.

based on the history, there’s a 50/50
Chance letting Dak walk would be the right choice.

I’ll take those odds. It’s not worth the money and Dak is simply not able to read a defense like Brees can. Sorry, he can’t. Neither can Cousins.
So instead of just assuming that Dak is worth elite money, and hoping and saying he will pan out, I can already see he’s not Drew Brees. Brees is one of the most cerebral QBs in the NFL. As has been pointed out, Dak struggles to read a defense. We’ve all seen it. So no, I’m not signing him and he can walk like Cousins who Dak has very much in common in term of results.

CWR

Reaction score
https://sportsnaut.com/top-25-potential-nfl-free-agents-of-2021/

"1. Dak Prescott, quarterback, Dallas Cowboys

The devastating ankle injury Prescott suffered back in Week 5 should not impact him in free agency. Heck, the Cowboys would be smart to double down with their most-recent offer of making him one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in NFL history. Prior to suffering said injury, Prescott had tallied over 7,100 total yards with 45 total touchdowns and 15 interceptions in his previous 21 starts. He’s a franchise quarterback. He will get paid like it."

I don't understand the people who say "nobody but Dallas would look at him." :lmao: Once more of those lists release, Dak will make the Top 3 of every list. He is the highest commodity of this offseason if he were to not sign with Dallas, and he's ranked #1 here.

I'm not saying at all that I want him to leave (he's still my first choice for the Cowboys QB next year) - just making a point that he's the most wanted guy in the NFL right now, and the majority of the media and the NFL personnel agree.

Only a tool can't see what Dak means to this team. Its absurd how many Cowboy fans believe they can do better than Dak.

khiladi

Reaction score
I’ll take those odds. It’s not worth the money and Dak is simply not able to read a defense like Brees can. Sorry, he can’t. Neither can Cousins.
So instead of just assuming that Dak is worth elite money, and hoping and saying he will pan out, I can already see he’s not Drew Brees. Brees is one of the most cerebral QBs in the NFL. As has been pointed out, Dak struggles to read a defense. We’ve all seen it. So no, I’m not signing him and he can walk like Cousins who Dak has very much in common in term of results.

If Brees was a couple inches taller, he’d have probably won a couple more SBs. If a team can get a little bit of an interior push, as they often do in the play-offs, Brees has physical limitations the other elite QBs like Rodgers and Brady don’t.

HungryLion

Reaction score

I mean we will see. I’m not saying Dak will be like Brees either. Although Brees wasn’t that great with San Diego either. And was coming for an injury.

It took Brees 4-5 years to get to his high level of play. And he has a hall of fame RB with San Diego to boot.

Brees is one of my all time faves going back to Perdue too. But those things take time, sometimes.

The book isn’t written either way yet. We shall see.

To be honest I’ve been saying for a couple years now that there’s risks to either approach. Risks to signing Dak. Risks to letting him walk and drafting a QB.

some
People think it’s a lock the cowboys can just draft a QB as good as Dak. History shows that’s at best a coin flip also.

CWR

Reaction score

Yeah super similar, Cousins first 3 years he threw for a grand total of about 3k yards. Or are you actually trying to compare Daks accomplishments with a guy who's been in the league for a decade? Either way its a stupid argument.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah super similar, Cousins first 3 years he threw for a grand total of about 3k yards. Or are you actually trying to compare Daks accomplishments with a guy who's been in the league for a decade? Either way its a stupid argument.

Dak is objectively a better QB than Cousins. There’s zero doubt about that in my mind.

khiladi

Reaction score

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
If Brees was a couple inches taller, he’d have probably won a couple more SBs. If a team can get a little bit of an interior push, as they often do in the play-offs, Brees has physical limitations the other elite QBs like Rodgers and Brady don’t.

And Brees isn’t Wilson. He doesn’t have that lightning 1st step out of the pocket.
Oddly, both of them have the biggest hands in the NFL for a QB.

khiladi

Reaction score
And Brees isn’t Wilson. He doesn’t have that lightning 1st step out of the pocket.
Oddly, both of them have the biggest hands in the NFL for a QB.

Both, unlike Dak, are really good with their deeper progressions. Thats the difference between the elite and pretenders, reading pre-snap and going through progressions.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Dak Prescott is not objectively better than Kirk Cousins. Both are mediocre as straight drop-back passers and guys who benefit greatly off play-action. Dak is about to look even worse of we have the misfortune of Jerry signing him again and the OL continues to deteriorate along with the running game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...action-boom-kirk-cousins-is-reaping-benefits/

You can make an argument if you want. But Dak is pretty clearly better in my eyes.

I don’t expect you to bend on that though.

khiladi

Reaction score
You can make an argument if you want. But Dak is pretty clearly better in my eyes.

I don’t expect you to bend on that though.

That’s not objectively, but subjectively, better. Kirk Cousins was in the playoffs last year and won them the game against a legitimate Saints defense. Both of them are over-rated QBs like Goff, that are mediocre-averaged at straight drop-backs.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Sure it is. Rarely do quality QBs hit FA. It’s rare. Yes, it does happen but it’s really rare. Cause they are the most coveted commodity in pro sports.
Franchised QBs always get released by the team that franchised them. Every. Single. Time.
This post is simple factual history as my links support If it frustrates you, I’m not sorry. It’s not me deciding these outcomes.
I remember hearing how no team that started 0-2 ever made the playoffs, let alone win a Super Bowl, during Emmitt's hold out year.

So .... ya. History may be a good indicator of future events, but it is not like it is some unbreakable rule that never changes either.

Just Sayin'

HungryLion

Reaction score
That’s not objectively better. Kirk Cousins was in the playoffs last year and won them the game against a legitimate Saints defense.

I know it’s not the definition of objectively better.

if we are being honest there is no such thing as objectively better in sports. For the most part. So I’ll retract the “objectively better” statement.

either way i think Dak is better and it’s pretty clear to me. But again I’m not going into that argument with you about it. Your feelings on the matter are clear and immovable.

khiladi

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins threw 35 TDs and 13 INTs on 516 attempts, which is 80 less attempts than Dak’s “MVP year” of 30 TDs and 11 INTs. And Kirk had a better completion percentage of 67% to 65%. The only difference was Dak threw for 700 more yards.

Last year, in 15 games, Kirk threw for 69% and had 26 TDs and 6 INTs on 3603 yards.

Basically, Dak was WAY LESS EFFICIENT in both years of Kirk with the Vikings, racking up meaningless yards and 14 of his TDs were against the Giants and Commanders. Yards don’t make points.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Both, unlike Dak, are really good with their deeper progressions. Thats the difference between the elite and pretenders, reading pre-snap and going through progressions.
Sometimes Cousins throws a really nice deep ball, and goes through his progressions and finds a guy. And you say, “Why can’t he do that all the time?!?!” Then the next play he loses his feet, throws off balance and it goes into the stands and there was never even any pressure.
Wilson is absolutely supreme with his deep ball. It’s a thing of pure beauty. He throws it where only his guy can get it and he’s very accurate. he can throw frozen ropes of perfect arching, deep balls. Going from State to WISC was a masterstoke cause he learned the pro style concepts and is really good in the pocket. 72% completion at WISC. Passed cause of his height, folks should have looked closer at him being a multi sport talent and extremely smart. What a mistake for so many teams. Also his 1st step is elite. He gets out of the pocket faster than anyone except Jackson. And he’s gone. Plus he’s built like a fire hydrant.