Dak Prescott vs. Tony Romo

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since the extremists seem to post more often than others, I just want to say, "There is no conflict in being a fan of BOTH Dak Prescott AND Tony Romo.

Watching Romo magic was the most enjoyable part of watching the Cowboys from 2006 - 2014. It is a shame the team was never as good as him. Watching old videos of him eluding tackles to get off a pass downfield never gets old, just like watching Emmitt Smith highlights never gets old. Tony only really had two opportunities in his career to get to the Super Bowl - 2007 and 2014. Unfortunately, the team came up short both times - in 2007 because of extraordinarily inept coaching by Wade Phillip's, and in 2014 because of a DeMarco Murray fumble, and a missed field goal.

Dak Prescott EXPLODED onto the NFL landscape with the single best rookie QB performance in the 100 year history of the league. It just doesn't get any better than Dak in 2016, as far as being a rookie. And like the gentleman he is, even Tony acknowledged that Dak EARNED the starting QB position. Even in defeat to the Packers, Dak's performance as a rookie in the playoffs was epic. But as with Tony in 2014, the defense in 2016 wasted a great QB performance. Dak has all the intangibles you look for in a QB. And he is still young and improving. He had a bad 16 game stretch in the second half of 2017, and the first half of 2018. But the last half of 2018 shows that his rookie year was no fluke. The Cowboys were 7-1 down the stretch last year, and Dak was a big reason why.

Tony proved that no QB can win a championship on his own. But the front office has done a better job this time surrounding their young QB with talent. The future is promising.

I am a huge fan of Tony Romo, AND a big fan of Dak Prescott. And I honestly believe that most Cowboys fans love both players, and are sick and tired of the verbal snipers who try to force us to choose one or the other. I choose BOTH. I refuse to be drawn into the argument of who is better. Tony's time was great for fans, and now it is Dak's time.

One last comment: More than any other NFL team, the Cowboys have enjoyed an extraordinary succession of talented starting quarterbacks. 1 year with poor talent as an expansion team --> Don Meredith --> Craig Morton --> Roger Staubach --> Danny White --> Troy Aikman --> 5 years in the desert --> Tony Romo --> Dak Prescott. In 60 seasons of play, the team has only suffered through 6 seasons of sub-par talent at the most important position on the field. Instead of griping and complaining, we should be thankful. No other team had enjoyed such a succession of talent.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::laugh::laugh::laugh:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe that is true also. Certainly, Prescott was saying the same thing as so many other rookies have said in the past like "He's the veteran but he is teaching me a lot." I am certain those are not necessarily Prescott's exact words :p That is a matter of truth and respect between players who want to help each other. However, I think we could see visual signs of them working together from the stands or the couch when we saw them on the sidelines. And I think that working relationship made some positive impact on the field for Prescott.
Romo is a good guy and he's been in the game long enough to know it's not about the player. It wasn't Prescott's fault he didn't get his job back and no QB is just going to give it up.

I think he likes Prescott and saw a willing student, not a cocky headcase, and did everything he could to help him get better, even knowing the better he got, the better his chances of keeping the job. I am also naïve enough to think Romo's greatest regret isn't not winning the SB as the QB but not winning it with his teammates. While we were critical of his OL, he knew how difficult it was to block for a QB like him.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I believe that is true also. Certainly, Prescott was saying the same thing as so many other rookies have said in the past like "He's the veteran but he is teaching me a lot." I am certain those are not necessarily Prescott's exact words :p That is a matter of truth and respect between players who want to help each other. However, I think we could see visual signs of them working together from the stands or the couch when we saw them on the sidelines. And I think that working relationship made some positive impact on the field for Prescott.
I heard that Romo was in the meetings trying to draw things up to help Dak. And I believe Sanchez was helping him out also. I wonder how Romo would do if he wanted to eventually try his hand a OC job.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
STOP
STOP IT! Leave this topic alone. Too many haters of Dak to even make this a fair comparison. Dak has just 3 seasons under his belt compared to Tony's entire career. There is no fair comparison to be made for either player.

STOP!!!! LOL.....In the name of DAKLOVE....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo is a good guy and he's been in the game long enough to know it's not about the player. It wasn't Prescott's fault he didn't get his job back and no QB is just going to give it up.

I think he likes Prescott and saw a willing student, not a cocky headcase, and did everything he could to help him get better, even knowing the better he got, the better his chances of keeping the job. I am also naïve enough to think Romo's greatest regret isn't not winning the SB as the QB but not winning it with his teammates. While we were critical of his OL, he knew how difficult it was to block for a QB like him.
I have always stated Prescott is blameless in the matter. Neither Prescott nor Romo were the decision makers in the matter. The matter was decided by Jones (mostly in my opinion) and Garrett. Any and all blame I have extended from October 2016 to today has been directed to those two individuals and only those two individuals.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Romo has gotten close a few times. Once they got a Offense around him they couldn’t get enough talent on Defense to carry them. I think his biggest shot at a SB was 2016. The O-Line was awesome and the if Dak has a rookie year like that behind it then I could only imagine how Romo would have done. This was his Offense set up for him. Plus having Elliot to take pressure off. He would have a 2014 type running game. A real shame but that’s life for you.

erod

Reaction score
I very much like them both, but it's irritating that so much of our fan base doesn't understand how much better Romo was than Dak is. It's like comparing Rodgers to Bridgewater.

People that don't recognize the greatness and circumstances of Danny White and Tony Romo in context are just football illiterate. I'm learning to ignore them, but it's a process.

Dak is far better than what some teams have to deal with, but he's still teetering at the bottom of the legitimate starter category. I'm glad we have him, and I hope he and they can build an offense around his strengths and weaknesses that can win big games. The roster is finally there fortunately.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I am a fan of both. I am A Cowboys fan. I support and back all our players. I thought Romo was a great QB. He didn’t start out that way. I think Dak can be a great QB he had a huge start with that rookie year and will now be expected to get better than that every year.

This year Dak can be expected to be much improved, he's had 3 full seasons, he will have Cooper for a whole off season, Zeke apparently available all year (of course injuries can derail all this, but that's a total unknown, so I'm ignoring it for the sake of this post), apparently Williams has gotten stronger, and if not I think McGovern has the body and playing style to take that spot if Williams hasn't improved. Witten back for a safety valve that was missing last year, Frederick hopefully back, and a year's experience for Gallup, the addition of Cobb, a proven good player, and last but not least a fresh (mostly) OC in Moore, green but wouldn't take a lot to be better than Linehan in play selection.

In other words, there's no reason for Dak not to take a big step forward. If he doesn't, then I don't think Dak can be a "great" quarterback. And he may not have to be, with Lawrence getting his shoulder fixed, LVE with a year under his belt, J. Smith appearing to be back to near his college level, Iloka to at least spell Heath if not outright replace him, and Quinn, another proven player, to beef up the pass rush, the defense, already top-10 the last two years (NFL.Com) could be top-5, so Dak might not have to be "great".

But we'll see....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I heard that Romo was in the meetings trying to draw things up to help Dak. And I believe Sanchez was helping him out also. I wonder how Romo would do if he wanted to eventually try his hand a OC job.
He would probably excel as an offensive coordinator. Contrary to some belief, Romo is a true student of the game. And he is a goal seeker. Those are two qualities that would help him succeed as a coach.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since the extremists seem to post more often than others, I just want to say, "There is no conflict in being a fan of BOTH Dak Prescott AND Tony Romo.

Watching Romo magic was the most enjoyable part of watching the Cowboys from 2006 - 2014. It is a shame the team was never as good as him. Watching old videos of him eluding tackles to get off a pass downfield never gets old, just like watching Emmitt Smith highlights never gets old. Tony only really had two opportunities in his career to get to the Super Bowl - 2007 and 2014. Unfortunately, the team came up short both times - in 2007 because of extraordinarily inept coaching by Wade Phillip's, and in 2014 because of a DeMarco Murray fumble, and a missed field goal.

Dak Prescott EXPLODED onto the NFL landscape with the single best rookie QB performance in the 100 year history of the league. It just doesn't get any better than Dak in 2016, as far as being a rookie. And like the gentleman he is, even Tony acknowledged that Dak EARNED the starting QB position. Even in defeat to the Packers, Dak's performance as a rookie in the playoffs was epic. But as with Tony in 2014, the defense in 2016 wasted a great QB performance. Dak has all the intangibles you look for in a QB. And he is still young and improving. He had a bad 16 game stretch in the second half of 2017, and the first half of 2018. But the last half of 2018 shows that his rookie year was no fluke. The Cowboys were 7-1 down the stretch last year, and Dak was a big reason why.

Tony proved that no QB can win a championship on his own. But the front office has done a better job this time surrounding their young QB with talent. The future is promising.

I am a huge fan of Tony Romo, AND a big fan of Dak Prescott. And I honestly believe that most Cowboys fans love both players, and are sick and tired of the verbal snipers who try to force us to choose one or the other. I choose BOTH. I refuse to be drawn into the argument of who is better. Tony's time was great for fans, and now it is Dak's time.

One last comment: More than any other NFL team, the Cowboys have enjoyed an extraordinary succession of talented starting quarterbacks. 1 year with poor talent as an expansion team --> Don Meredith --> Craig Morton --> Roger Staubach --> Danny White --> Troy Aikman --> 5 years in the desert --> Tony Romo --> Dak Prescott. In 60 seasons of play, the team has only suffered through 6 seasons of sub-par talent at the most important position on the field. Instead of griping and complaining, we should be thankful. No other team had enjoyed such a succession of talent.
Well said! :D

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Tony had the best OL in the NFL and the best RB in the NFL in the 2014. The problem is he got hurt the season after (without DeMarco) and then the season after again (with Zeke). So I hate when people say they didn't put a team around him. If we are being honest Romo getting hurt may have cost us a SB. That is the type of belief I had in Tony's ability with the talent those 2 seasons.

Dak seemed to figure it out the second half of last season. So I have no doubt that he can do his part to get us there and if put in position to do so I believe he can win the game if put on his shoulders in crunch time.

Bottom line both QBs are/were capable. I personally believe that Dak's availability will put us in more of a position to win it all.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He would probably excel as an offensive coordinator. Contrary to some belief, Romo is a true student of the game. And he is a goal seeker. Those are two qualities that would help him succeed as a coach.
And his ability to read defenses so well.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Romo has gotten close a few times. Once they got a Offense around him they couldn’t get enough talent on Defense to carry them. I think his biggest shot at a SB was 2016. The O-Line was awesome and the if Dak has a rookie year like that behind it then I could only imagine how Romo would have done. This was his Offense set up for him. Plus having Elliot to take pressure off. He would have a 2014 type running game. A real shame but that’s life for you.
That was the biggest problem in the Romo years. They waited too long to invest in a running game and the last 5 years or so the Cowboys defense sucked. Add a mediocre coach and that's what you get. I think we saw what Romo could be with a good running game in 2014 but after that his body started falling apart.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Thanks. I am just about fed-up with the people who think that supporting Dak has to mean bashing Romo. Give it a rest. It's a false dichotomy; a logical fallacy.
You seem to ignore that it also works the other way around....that people think those that liked Romo must somehow automaticallyhate on Dak.

I've supported both, so no worries here.

But it for sure goes both ways.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have never seen such a collection of fans that hate so much on the team they say they love as on here.
Seems nothing makes any or some of them happy. I know some just to it to stir things up. Some like everything some hate everything.
Quite a few somewhere in the middle.

I liked Romo, but at times wanted him gone, then didn't want him gone.
I liked Dak, then was not so sure, but tried to understand the circumstances too, without Zeke and Smith at LT in 2017.
Last year the 1st half of the season was frustrating, but yet something was missing. At the time it was Dez, but when Cooper got here, then Dez was an afterthought. And then I like Dat again to a degree. Now I want to see his progress this season.

I think he can improve and pull for him to improve, mostly because he is our QB, and seems he will be for quite some time.

Romo was great but often injured, and still made some bone head plays at times, but all QB's do. Dak seems to be sturdy but still needs to improve in some areas. We will see, as it took Tony a good 3 to 4 years to improve on some things as well.
We had a poster on the old site that was a Giants fan, although he wouldn't admit it, 43Harris43 was his moniker and some would lash out at him but I thought he was a lot of fun. He figured it out. He would start a thread, usually one that he was concerned about something on the Cowboys, and then he'd just sit back and watch the fireworks. He seldom even came back to post, just started the fire and didn't even need to fan the flames. He just depended on the fans of the team to do that.

The catfights that take place here aren't about the team, the coaches or the players, they're outlets for the frustration many feel in real life. This forum serves a purpose and it's taken me a while to get a handle on the leeway some are given when in one of those catfights but they're just giving them that purge room.

But there is one fact that is irrefutable to me and I know it pisses some off but the truth hurts. There is no more entitled group of fans of any team in history like the Dallas Cowboys ones. Why don't we have t shirts made up with just 23 on them so when someone asks what that means we can cry to them about 23 years without a championship?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony had the best OL in the NFL and the best RB in the NFL in the 2014. The problem is he got hurt the season after (without DeMarco) and then the season after again (with Zeke). So I hate when people say they didn't put a team around him. If we are being honest Romo getting hurt may have cost us a SB. That is the type of belief I had in Tony's ability with the talent those 2 seasons.

Dak seemed to figure it out the second half of last season. So I have no doubt that he can do his part to get us there and if put in position to do so I believe he can win the game if put on his shoulders in crunch time.

Bottom line both QBs are/were capable. I personally believe that Dak's availability will put us in more of a position to win it all.
I am motivated towards clicking a Like for the bold but I am stopped by one fact if it is concerning the 2016 season. Romo did not sustain a season-ending injury and was available before the playoffs even began. His preseason injury prevented the team from using him in most or all of the first two months of that season.

Romo's getting hurt in August did not play an actual role in his availability for a postseason run. It was totally Jones and Garrett's decision making that factor as the only determinant.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This year Dak can be expected to be much improved, he's had 3 full seasons, he will have Cooper for a whole off season, Zeke apparently available all year (of course injuries can derail all this, but that's a total unknown, so I'm ignoring it for the sake of this post), apparently Williams has gotten stronger, and if not I think McGovern has the body and playing style to take that spot if Williams hasn't improved. Witten back for a safety valve that was missing last year, Frederick hopefully back, and a year's experience for Gallup, the addition of Cobb, a proven good player, and last but not least a fresh (mostly) OC in Moore, green but wouldn't take a lot to be better than Linehan in play selection.

In other words, there's no reason for Dak not to take a big step forward. If he doesn't, then I don't think Dak can be a "great" quarterback. And he may not have to be, with Lawrence getting his shoulder fixed, LVE with a year under his belt, J. Smith appearing to be back to near his college level, Iloka to at least spell Heath if not outright replace him, and Quinn, another proven player, to beef up the pass rush, the defense, already top-10 the last two years (NFL.Com) could be top-5, so Dak might not have to be "great".

But we'll see....
If everything stays the way you stated. Along with no injury bug. There is no reason why he doesn’t take a step forward. With it being his 4th season the game should slow down for him. I do think our FO sees this coming and this is why they want to get a contract done. If this shakes out and our Defense takes the next step also then this team could be what we waited for.

Our QB contract will be even bigger than the 30-34 per year. JG will get a extension.