Dak Prescott vs. Tony Romo

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Bottom of the legitimate starters, I said. Many teams don't have legitimate starters. There's generally less than 20 legit NFL starters in the world at any given time.

I'd say middle of the starters, there's too many "starters" like Stafford, Dalton, Rivers, etc. who've been in the league far longer than Dak and haven't made the "big time". With Dak's running ability and relatively low INT rate, he's on the way up, the others are on their way down.

But it's a matter of opinion...

ItzKelz

Reaction score
My earlier hesitancy has been sustained. The chemistry defense shall always remain the euphoria alibi.

I remember having a face-to-face conversation with another Cowboy fan, whom I had many previous discussions about Romo--usually at our barbershop. He appreciation for Romo faded after the 2008 season. After that, all of our debates about the position were him taking the stance 'Anyone but Romo'.

Fast forward to August 2016. Romo injury happened. My friend was again elated (happened every time Romo was sidelined) and then beyond happy with Prescott's performance. Around late October I brought up the possibility of Romo's return. He said Romo's days in Dallas were done, which of course ended up becoming true.

I asked, "What about the playoffs?"

He threw the same question back at me, "What about the playoffs?"

I replied, "Well, the team has a lot of momentum and it looks like the playoffs are a solid lock. Don't you think the offense needs Romo's veteran leadership to push for a possible Super Bowl?"

He said it did not matter. I asked him to clarify. He said the Super Bowl did not matter and that the only thing that mattered was Romo not being behind center.

I am the stubborn type and asked, "Do you believe a rookie quarterback can help get the team to and win the Super Bowl?"

He stared me dead in the eyes and said, "I don't expect us to get to the Super Bowl. It is not important. Stop asking me questions."

And I did.

Our convos became a lot less heated afterwards. I knew exactly how he felt about Romo and how championships did not matter to him as long as Romo was on the roster. He has never predicted Super Bowls with Prescott but he has been a much happier fan since Romo's departure. He gained my total respect in 2016. He was never caught up in the euphoria that season.

/my road down memory lane
I always accepted Romo for what he was. Could look like the best QB in the world at times and at others you wonder what he was looking at because his awareness and football IQ didn't say he would make such high stake mistakes. Don't get me wrong Romo's good out weighed his bad. As for the playoffs after being hurt I personally did not want the chemistry messed up despite the experience. If I had a magic lamp I would prefer that Romo played that entire season heading into the playoffs. I think we would have had a better chance. But in all honesty I don't believe he could have played better than Dak did in that game. In fact I think the way Dak played against the Slackers that year was the nail in the coffin on Romo moving forward as a Cowboy.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ROMO....

McLaren-GT-Lifestyle.jpg

DAK.....

yugo-gv-placement-1528210669.jpg

Now is there anything really to discuss here?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always accepted Romo for what he was. Could look like the best QB in the world at times and at others you wonder what he was looking at because his awareness and football IQ didn't say he would make such high stake mistakes. Don't get me wrong Romo's good out weighed his bad. As for the playoffs after being hurt I personally did not want the chemistry messed up despite the experience. If I had a magic lamp I would prefer that Romo played that entire season heading into the playoffs. I think we would have had a better chance. But in all honesty I don't believe he could have played better than Dak did in that game. In fact I think the way Dak played against the Slackers that year was the nail in the coffin on Romo moving forward as a Cowboy.
Bold> We disagree again. Romo's days in Dallas were done before he basically told the world such was true November 15, 2016. Jerry Jones used the hammer very likely at the end of October.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember 43Harris43....I wonder what happened to him. He could possibly be here under another name. :rolleyes:
I have looked for his style and haven't seen it recently. I loved his "afraid or scared" threads.

He made some posters angry but not me, I had fun with him and he was a good sport with that "while living in the basement of his Mom's house" we put him through. The funniest part is that he'd hook them into an argument and then they'd cry "ban him" and the mods would simply tell them to stop playing with him. He probably got more immediate action on his threads than any poster.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Tony had the best OL in the NFL and the best RB in the NFL in the 2014. The problem is he got hurt the season after (without DeMarco) and then the season after again (with Zeke). So I hate when people say they didn't put a team around him. If we are being honest Romo getting hurt may have cost us a SB. That is the type of belief I had in Tony's ability with the talent those 2 seasons.

Dak seemed to figure it out the second half of last season. So I have no doubt that he can do his part to get us there and if put in position to do so I believe he can win the game if put on his shoulders in crunch time.

Bottom line both QBs are/were capable. I personally believe that Dak's availability will put us in more of a position to win it all.
The biggest difference in the teams of 2014 and 2018 were the defense, the 2014 defense was no where near the level of 2018. On a secondary note, the 2014 offense was better than the 2018 offense.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with Romo was it was just a matter of time until he went out again. He held the ball too long and wasn't as elusive as he'd been in his younger days. No problem, none of us are as elusive as we were in our younger days, you could catch me standing still.

He just didn't seem able to protect himself adequately and was all about making that play instead of playing to play another day. As the hits mounted up, he looked less like he could take the hit, he just kind of folded up.

May not sound nice to say but that injury was a blessing for him and his family and it could have been worse. And I wonder how that played into the thinking to keep Prescott as QB1. I think the Joneses and Garrett loved them some Romo and his guts to stay in there but I wonder if they thought 'the next one and he could really be injured for a lot longer than his career'? And the way Prescott was leading the team sure made that decision a lot easier.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The problem with Romo was it was just a matter of time until he went out again. He held the ball too long and wasn't as elusive as he'd been in his younger days. No problem, none of us are as elusive as we were in our younger days, you could catch me standing still.

He just didn't seem able to protect himself adequately and was all about making that play instead of playing to play another day. As the hits mounted up, he looked less like he could take the hit, he just kind of folded up.

May not sound nice to say but that injury was a blessing for him and his family and it could have been worse. And I wonder how that played into the thinking to keep Prescott as QB1. I think the Joneses and Garrett loved them some Romo and his guts to stay in there but I wonder if they thought 'the next one and he could really be injured for a lot longer than his career'? And the way Prescott was leading the team sure made that decision a lot easier.
Romo is family to them. I think JJ couldn’t watch it anymore. That last hit in preseason he may have fallen awkward but it shouldn’t have done that damage. If he sit back there in the pocket and took one more big shot it may have left him hurt permanently.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo is family to them. I think JJ couldn’t watch it anymore. That last hit in preseason he may have fallen awkward but it shouldn’t have done that damage. If he sit back there in the pocket and took one more big shot it may have left him hurt permanently.
Bold> I am curious how you came to that particular conclusion. Just for personal curiosity sake. I will not be commenting afterwards. :)

glimmerman

Reaction score
Bold> I am curious how you came to that particular conclusion. Just for personal curiosity sake. I will not be commenting afterwards. :)
Lol. I knew I would get asked that.

Don’t get me wrong, I have hurt my back getting out of bed in the morning. When I first saw it I thought he took a bigger hit. I have seen him take bigger hits and be ok. Any hit could be the last one.

But I will say that when he laid there and then jumped up and acted like it was no biggie on the sidelines. I knew it was worse than he was letting on. He has done it before and played with a punctured lung. And won the game. In OT, I think against the 49ers.. The pass to Holley set it up.

Anyways if another younger player or a younger Romo takes that hit, I don’t think it’s that bad. But with the pre existing injuries and age. A awkward fall and that’s it. And it could have happened at any time. This is coming from a older guy that has ruptured disks. Did one warning up to do squats. Older age and years of abuse on my body..

Please feel free to reply. I can take it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. I knew I would get asked that.

Don’t get me wrong, I have hurt my back getting out of bed in the morning. When I first saw it I thought he took a bigger hit. I have seen him take bigger hits and be ok. Any hit could be the last one.

But I will say that when he laid there and then jumped up and acted like it was no biggie on the sidelines. I knew it was worse than he was letting on. He has done it before and played with a punctured lung. And won the game. In OT, I think against the 49ers.. The pass to Holley set it up.

Anyways if another younger player or a younger Romo takes that hit, I don’t think it’s that bad. But with the pre existing injuries and age. A awkward fall and that’s it. And it could have happened at any time. This is coming from a older guy that has ruptured disks. Did one warning up to do squats. Older age and years of abuse on my body..

Please feel free to reply. I can take it.
Nope. Curiosity sated. Thanks. :thumbup:

JayFord

Reaction score
However I like Dak more than Romo

Dak just has “it” yes from a QB standpoint Romo is better no arguing that

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
When the Cowboys had the choice between the two, they chose Dak. Even Romo himself conceded in his meritocracy speech that Dak had earned that job fair and square.

glimmerman

Reaction score
When the Cowboys had the choice between the two, they chose Dak. Even Romo himself conceded in his meritocracy speech that Dak had earned that job fair and square.
I think Romo should have came back in 2017 and wanted to compete for his job. Just to put the pressure on the FO and JG. If at that point they refused I would have to think about another team if I still wanted to truly compete.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo's Full Concession Speech Transcript

You are 100% correct. Romo did state:

"You see football is a meritocracy. You aren’t handed anything. You earn everything every single day single day, over and over again. You have to prove it. That’s the way that the NFL, that’s the way that football works. A great example of this is Dak Prescott and what he’s done. He’s earned the right to be our quarterback. As hard as that is for me to say, he’s earned that right. He’s guided our team to an 8-1 record, and that’s hard to do."

However, Romo's speech was quite lengthy. He also stated:

"If you think for a second that I don’t want to be out there, then you’ve probably never felt the pure ecstasy of competing and winning. That hasn’t left me. In fact it may burn more now than ever."

<snip>

"And all the while your desire burns to be the best you’ve ever been. You can be both. I have figured that out in this process. It's what separates sports from everything else. It's why we love it. It's why we trust it. It's why I still want to play and compete."

Just saying Romo's concession speech, which included stating Prescott earned the starting position, was much more in context than simple concession.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
he better play at the level he's being paid or he's going to know what Don Meredith felt like and why he hung it up early.
can you elaborate on this? I dont know much about why don left, I thought maybe landry told him morton was going to be the starter in 69.
Don was pulled in the 68 playoff game with the browns, landry put morton in and they still lost and were inept on offense in that game.