Dak Prescott's Strengths

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Its comments like this that further keep people from supporting Dak. You wanna convince people that Dak is the real deal? Not anointing him to be the chosen 1 and claiming he's amazing when he's not yet. Use your brain lmao. You're only making the hate for Dak worse. If you were to be more realistic on here, people might actually take you seriously.
Dak top 10 in passer rating. Better than romo already

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
So you're claiming Dak is better than hall of famers who aren't in the top 10 w/ passer rating?

Imagine the type of life this guy lives lmao. How bad does your life have to be to come on here every day and troll? Lmao I actually feel bad.
Lol different era. Romo isn’t a HOF by any imagine tho. Dak keeps racking up the W’s like he’s doing he will be one tho

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I see this as a common theme on this board and the radio shows: We need an OC that can design plays around Dak's strengths.

IMO here are Dak's strengths: Great Leadership skills, Great Character, good work ethic, big body and tough to bring down, 'good' runner, Durable, throws well outside the pocket

(I wholeheartedly admin the big 3 he has: Leadership, Character and Durability are amazing traits to have in your franchise QB and those are not teachable by coaching, these skills are inherent)

So what would an offense designed around his strengths look like exactly?
wish bone

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A gimmicky offense that relies heavily on running the ball which doesn’t translate to long term sustainable success in today’s NFL.

If your QB can’t stand in the pocket, read a defense, and throw the ball down the field in an accurate and timely manor your OC is going to be pretty freaking handcuffed. Sure, there are different things an OC can do to help Dak, but what happens when the D adjusts? Consistently completing passes 10+ yards down the field isn’t much to ask and no matter what gimmicks you come up with winning big/important games long term is going to come down to that.
gimmikie only works for one season in the NFL. its been tried...NFL is a league full of talented football players, with dedicated coaches and they will expose your weaknesses after watching plenty of film. the NFL QB needs to be able to pass from the pocket. if you cannot do that, you will fail as an NFL QB. scrambling, running, options, etc. is icing on the cake...without the cake Icing doesn't hold up. If Dak doesn't learn to throw from the pocket, he will be a failure and at most average in the NFL. that would be his ceiling. and that ceiling is because of his other attributes like running, leadership, etc. if he didn't have those, he would be mark Sanchez.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So what would an offense designed around his strengths look like exactly?

Strengths: Running, durability, scrambling to the edge and throwing
Weaknesses: accuracy, seeing the defense

We've started playing more to Dak's strengths. Targets are short and along the sidelines. Those are the simplest throws in terms of seeing the field.

A lot of people say you don't win without a pocket passer. It's not really true, and rather irrelevant besides. What we have is a running QB. QBs who aren't great pocket passers can be successful. Gannon in 2000 is a pretty good model. QB rating 92, 500 yards rushing. 1st team all pro. I'd like a Tom Brady too, but they're in short supply.

Another complaint is that running QBs don't last. Maybe so. Running backs don't last either. Doesn't mean you don't run them. By failing to run Dak, we're preserving a poor pocket QB instead of making the most of the running QB we have.

The offense for Dak is a college offense. He's not a pocket passer, at least yet, and likely not ever. Given how run heavy we are, he's a good complement to the running game. He fits us. We should use him as is. If he breaks down, get another running college QB. It's a loser play to try to bring him along banking on him becoming a pocket QB. If he does, great. In the meantime, make the most of what he actually is.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Right now I don't think we can say he throws well on the run. On the run Dak tends to throw off-balance, or off his feet. He leaps before he throws and its really hard to be accurate when you are in the air. I don't know what they are trying to teach Dak but I bet its footwork, planting and throwing and releasing the ball quickly. He has a strong arm but he's like Wild Thing in Major League - although his inaccuracy is not because of his eyesight. I wish it was that simple.

Dak was freakishly accurate when he rolled out his rookie year. His mechanics went to hell since. That's something I think he should be able to get back. Let him roll out and find a target or run. Simplify the field for him, make use of his legs.

His running and durability are an advantage we should be making use of.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Bootlegs are being stopped because every Defensive Coordinator in the league knows he wants to get outside the pocket. A few a game maybe, but you do understand the defenses are specifically scheming against this right? It's like Michael Vick in his rookie year throwing bombs all over the field in his rookie year. Year 2 Defensive Coordinators saw that he struggled rolling to his right, guess what they all did - shut down the left side. He didn't follow up his performance.

I wholeheartedly agree on the run more. He is durable and can take punishment. I have to wonder though how much of that is the coaching staffs lack of confidence in his backups if he gets hurt. Regardless I agree, run him more.

Play Action, I see play action every game many, many times. I think the reason you don't see it more is he really isn't a good deep ball thrower, he needs a lot of separation from his WR and it's harder to get play in and play out when running deep routes (unless it's a busted assignment) But in a ball control offense you can't afford to lose that play because someone was covered and Part B) This line is so banged up do you trust them to be able to hold those blocks long enough? Play Action takes longer, the QB has to hold the ball longer.

Good stuff :)
exactly. defensive coordinators will expose you. you may find some success in the regular season, but post season is teams that have won and probably have good players, with good defensive players and they will expose your weaknesses. you can't run and offense based on boot legs. you need to have ability to do all. boot legs is an option that makes you better, not a base offense.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Totally agree on less two TE sets. The defenses need to be spread out more, Zeke can run out of any formation and I'm much rather see a safety or cornerback try to tackle Zeke than a Lineman or LB. Our TE's aren't that great either so they are mainly used for blocking, so again that means more Linebackers on D.

As to the speed comment? Gallup is the second fastest player on the team behind Tavon and him and Dak have Zero chemistry.

Whaaa? Gallup only runs a 4:51....there's like 10 people on the team faster than him or as fast, easily.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Gallup slowed up on that one play and now all of a sudden he has "route speed consistency"? Damn, dude, those overthrows were all on Dak except one. Just admit it
come on. don';t mention the the times he ran good routes. it ruins the Dak lovers agenda that its everybody else and not Dak. just get him two more prowl OL men, a prowl TE, another prowl WR and he can get this team to average 26 its a game....and if the defense holds their end of the bargain, we got a good chance. btw, his QB rating is 89.9 and its better than Romo....so there you go. Dak is the best and he can throw for 455 yards and had 42 completions and we score 40 points agains the jags a good defense and we beat NO and he played better than Brees. so there.

visionary

Reaction score
A gimmicky offense that relies heavily on running the ball which doesn’t translate to long term sustainable success in today’s NFL.

If your QB can’t stand in the pocket, read a defense, and throw the ball down the field in an accurate and timely manor your OC is going to be pretty freaking handcuffed. Sure, there are different things an OC can do to help Dak, but what happens when the D adjusts? Consistently completing passes 10+ yards down the field isn’t much to ask and no matter what gimmicks you come up with winning big/important games long term is going to come down to that.

This

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The way I'd break down the positives are.

-Natural confidence and swagger. An easy leader.
-Makes multiple reads and throws to the open man. He'll distribute the ball rather than lock on.
-Short accuracy is better than he gets credit for. The big misses stick out, but his completion percentage doesn't lie.
-Doesn't wilt when pressure comes. Even after he spins out, he's still looking to throw.
-Pretty good athlete.
-Built strong enough to run regularly. Has power while running which is uncommon for a QB
-Arm's not big, but it's not a liability either. He can hit all the throws.
-Takes care of the football while passing. Doesn't force 50-50 throws or hero ball it. Very low INT percentage.
-Really, REALLY good at selling play action, which I think Linehan severely underutilizes.
-Throws an okay deep ball. Obviously he misses on a lot of deep throws, but 75% of deep balls league-wide go incomplete, it's a lower percentage play than people think.

The downsides I'd say are

-Doesn't "see" space well at all. Needs to watch a receiver separate before he pulls the trigger. Poor anticipation.
-Seems very average processing the game mentally. Doesn't call many audibles, falls into coverage baits teams leave for him. Zone kills him.
-Good for a couple absolutely brutal misfires every game. When he misses, he tends to miss high.
-Seems legitimately afraid to throw it over the middle, probably related to point #1 above.
-Not sure if this is Linehan or Dak, but he checks it down on 3rd down FAR too willingly rather than challenging the defense at the sticks.
-Doesn't manage collapsing pockets well. Either he spins out wide or he stands still. Doesn't know how to step up.
-Fumbles a ton when he gets trapped in said collapsing pockets.
-Poor touch on throws, can't hit stuff like fades.
-Holds the ball too long and eats some ugly sacks. Virtually never throws the ball away.

The way I see it, Dak will never be a Romo type field general, mostly because of that mental aspect. He's a good enough underneath passer and careful enough with the football to be a bus driver, but if we're going to roll with him, he'll need talent around him and he'll need to be managed. He is what he is, a bottom-half NFL QB.

If I was an OC, I would manage Prescott a lot like how McVay manages Goff. You're going to be a run-first team by necessity. Play action and RPO heavily off of that to keep defenses thinking, and use picks and screens to feed Dak a lot of easy one-read throws. When defenses start keying in on that, you can hit them with the run game. When defenses start crowding the line to play both of those, you can dial up some deep balls, assuming you have the WRs like Coop and Gallup who can separate deep from single coverage. This is why Dak sucked so bad at the beginning of the year, and why McVay pays so much for deep threats like Watkins and Cooks. Ideally, it would be sort of a Dak and Dunk offense like we saw in 2016, only with more modern passing concepts that Linehan refuses to incorporate.

The way to play Dak is the way we've seen a lot of defenses pay him. Drop your safeties down to stop Zeke, play underneath and "sticks" coverage aggressively, and take your chances over the top.