Dak should call his own plays in preseason

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Calling people ignorant, while suggesting or approving that Dak something a qb hasn't done since the AFL is... funny.

Reading through this thread some of yall "critics" really need to educate yourselves on the nuances of this sport.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bill Belichick, for one. Budda Baker after the ARZ game last year. Steven Ruiz talked about it on the Ringer. All of them except for the dummies on First Take and Fox. You don't have the success under pressure and against the blitz that Dak does without being excellent pre-snap.

This stuff is constant:

Awesome THANKS! for taking the time. :thumbup:

Momanpr100

Reaction score
1. What makes you think he doesn’t understand his responsibilities as QB?
2. So, you seem to think most QBs don’t run what the play caller calls….where do you get that idea?
3. No QB n the NFL calls his own plays and haven’t for decades. Not Staubach, not Aikman, no one. The OC calls the play, and when there’s an audible, it’s usually to a preset alternative play, either run or pass depending on the defensive front.

Even in the 2 minute offense, the QB already has a plan designed and practiced for this opponent. He has much more leeway in calling his own plays, but it isn’t done blindly.
Logic is not allowed on the internet lol

CCBoy

Reaction score
Are you sure you want a sweating panic attack man calling his own plays???
dam-dak.gif

Doesn't really inspire confidence if you get my drift here.......
That could have as easily implied Dak checking out a cheerleader...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Amen! I hope the Cowboys front office and coaching staff learned their lesson from 2022. The starters NEED TO PLAY IN THE PRESEASON a few times before the regular season starts.
The three P's....price, price, price.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's the only way he's going to understand what his responsibility as a quarterback is. He seems content to run whatever play the OC calls, and when it fails he seems to assume that it's the failure of the OC.
By making him call his own plays he could actually improve.
Hopefully Dak won’t be playing in preseason .

Flamma

Reaction score
That's the only way he's going to understand what his responsibility as a quarterback is. He seems content to run whatever play the OC calls, and when it fails he seems to assume that it's the failure of the OC.
IMO he should call all the plays. He's the dude playing. Not for a second will I believe some dude on the sideline knows better. They don't. If you have some bum QB in there, ok, call the plays. But a franchise QB should be calling the plays.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don't think he's mentally prepared to take on any more pressure than he's already going to be under this season.
Maybe scripting might be a better way to go. he'll know exactly what's coming and can prepare for it during the week.
Oh boy. Here we go with the "mental" criticisms.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. What makes you think he doesn’t understand his responsibilities as QB?
2. So, you seem to think most QBs don’t run what the play caller calls….where do you get that idea?
3. No QB n the NFL calls his own plays and haven’t for decades. Not Staubach, not Aikman, no one. The OC calls the play, and when there’s an audible, it’s usually to a preset alternative play, either run or pass depending on the defensive front.

Even in the 2 minute offense, the QB already has a plan designed and practiced for this opponent. He has much more leeway in calling his own plays, but it isn’t done blindly.
I think the point might be to force Dak to read the defense in a more detailed manner...as an exercise.

I am not sure I agree with it...but it's an idea that might be worth consideration.

Caveat: I don;t really know how well Dak reads the defense, calls an audible, runs the exact OC play..etc, etc etc.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Dak doesn't even call timeouts during 2:00 minute drill, and this is a 7 year veteran QB going on 8. I think the calling plays suggestion is a good idea, but I don't know if QB1 has it in him.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Honestly I don't think calling plays is the issue. He's got bigger fish to fry like reading defenses better, like hitting his targets and not getting picked off. You know.... Quarterbacky stuff....

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Way better than watching Droopy-face making butthurt ugly faces on the bench while he watches Dak lead the team to a blowout win in 2016...

"I just want my career to end already! I can't handle several more months of sitting on the bench!"

How sad is it to hate a player so much that you resort shots of a guy chillin on the bench in the preseason as if it's making a point.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You've never noticed him calling an audible?