Dak should call his own plays in preseason

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That's the only way he's going to understand what his responsibility as a quarterback is. He seems content to run whatever play the OC calls, and when it fails he seems to assume that it's the failure of the OC.
By making him call his own plays he could actually improve.
wont happen, mike wants to call plays

offlimits

Reaction score
That's the only way he's going to understand what his responsibility as a quarterback is. He seems content to run whatever play the OC calls, and when it fails he seems to assume that it's the failure of the OC.
Perhaps I am mistaken but does he not have an audible as he approaches the line of scrimmage and sees the D's alignment?

Carson

Reaction score
It wasn't quite that far back. There were still a lot in the 1970's, and they say Jim Kelly did in the 1980's and in early 1990's.
So 30 since it has happened. This is what I don’t understand about these fans on here. We’ve had guys like Manning, Brady, Brees etc not do it. But Dak is supposed to reinvent the wheel. Always a different standard for him here and I’m always torn on 4. But the guy gets 0 breaks here

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So 30 since it has happened. This is what I don’t understand about these fans on here. We’ve had guys like Manning, Brady, Brees etc not do it. But Dak is supposed to reinvent the wheel. Always a different standard for him here and I’m always torn on 4. But the guy gets 0 breaks here
I will say it yet again. I think the OP knows calling his own plays isn't gonna happen in the game.

But why not entertain the idea of reading the defense can calling a play at the los for a few practices? If he's really good at it...fine. If not..okay too. All would be revealed.

I happen to think he doesn;t need to do this. But I don;t think it's absolutely preposterous or disrespectful either. As a practice exercise.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
In 2016 the offense was simple and Dak was fantastic. Ever since then we have paid Dak more and asked Dak to do more. Dak and the offense only gets worse.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
there is an angle to this comment. you are not an honest person. I haven't read through the pages yet, but I am sure you will reveal your true nature

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Are you sure you want a sweating panic attack man calling his own plays???
dam-dak.gif

Doesn't really inspire confidence if you get my drift here.......
extend Dak. Extend DAK. EXTEND DAK, EXTEND DAK...EXTEND DAK:muttley:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And there it is, today's Dak bashing thread. This board never disappoints. Looking forward to tomorrow's fresh ideas to bash Dak!
yep. this is a Dak Haters Virtual Conference. I guarantee somebody is going to bring up the contract. inevitable.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak doesn't even call timeouts during 2:00 minute drill, and this is a 7 year veteran QB going on 8. I think the calling plays suggestion is a good idea, but I don't know if QB1 has it in him.
wait is it QB responsibility to call timeouts or is it the coach? I have heard the same criticism of MM not calling timeouts.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He should do it in preseason. It would help him to understand his role and actually force him to be a leader. I'm not saying he should do during the season, but he needs to have more purpose than to simply run whatever is called and then go back to the bench and let someone else take the blame.
you are truly clueless. you just do it all on your own. showing your incompetence. amazing.

basel90

Reaction score
after 8 years , the franchise is trying to figure out what to do with Dak . LOL . If he calls his own plays he will check down a lot and go sideways a lot. He is not that good at reading defenses either way. too many games against good defenses to prove this.
Make no mistake. MM will call the plays and his coaching position will depend on it now that he got kellen out .

leeblair

Reaction score
All of the Dak apologists' minds are exploding at the thought of Dak having to take some responsibility.
I'm merely saying it would help him to gain an understanding of why he's really out there and what he is trying to accomplish- and I'm merely suggesting that he do it in preseason.
He needs to understand what it is he is supposed to be accomplishing.

Mr_437

Reaction score
wait is it QB responsibility to call timeouts or is it the coach? I have heard the same criticism of MM not calling timeouts.
Honestly, it probably depends on the team, but Dak looks lost at times. It seems he's so focused on the play the clock doesn't even come into his mind. Not making this a Romo thing, but Tony would call a timeout on his own because JG didn't know what he was doing.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Honestly, it probably depends on the team, but Dak looks lost at times. It seems he's so focused on the play the clock doesn't even come into his mind. Not making this a Romo thing, but Tony would call a timeout on his own because JG didn't know what he was doing.
yeah, I am not saying QBs never call timeouts, but timeouts are generally a coaches responsibility. they manage the clock.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’ve never seen this issue with Dak. Typically it’s a coaches job to handle timeouts.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of the Dak apologists' minds are exploding at the thought of Dak having to take some responsibility.
I'm merely saying it would help him to gain an understanding of why he's really out there and what he is trying to accomplish- and I'm merely suggesting that he do it in preseason.
snoopy-thanksgiving-icegif-5.gif

Just a typical day in the life of Snoopy, dealing with Charlie Brown's latest great idea.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
This is coming from the guy that says Dak does not belong in the league last year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm merely saying it would help him to gain an understanding of why he's really out there and what he is trying to accomplish
At his level of pay, Dak should have that already figured out.

It's expected from franchise QB's.