Twitter: Dak text to rookie WR

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The large majority of Cowboy fans want Dak to succeed because he is our QB. It really is that simple. If Dak played somewhere else Cowboy fans wouldn't care about his success. Duh right?

Most of the people that look at his stats and justify his failures do so because the trolls are relentless and have no concept of context.
I think you're underestimating the amount of fans that care more about Daks success then the Cowboys success.

There are 100% people like that that post on this very message board.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think you're underestimating the amount of fans that care more about Daks success then the Cowboys success.

Dude you trippin. If Dak played for the Eagles or the Giants we would all be screaming for him to fall on his face. At least twice a year anyway. If he's a good dude maybe we want him to do well in the other 14 (15) games but against the Cowboys we would all want him to lose every time. No real fan places individual player success above the team.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dude you trippin. If Dak played for the Eagles or the Giants we would all be screaming for him to fall on his face. At least twice a year anyway. If he's a good dude maybe we want him to do well in the other 14 (15) games but against the Cowboys we would all want him to lose every time. No real fan places individual player success above the team.
Yes, they would, but Dak doesn't play for those teams.

That's not my point. The same thing happened with Romo. There is 100% groups in this fan base that latch onto certain players and as long as they put up pretty stats they are happy.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is like when broken Tony Romo with his arm in a sling told Brady after a game "See you in February".

That prediction did not come close to coming true. Let's see if Daks does.

But "lighting up the league" with numbers and winning games is two different things as we've learned.

I remember Patrick Crayton, after the Cowboys loss to New England in the regular season, yammering about the Cowboys meeting the Patriots in the Super Bowl "if they make it."
And his drops and quitting on a route contributed to the Giants' upset victory over the Cowboys in the 2007-2008 divisional playoff game.

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yes, they would, but Dak doesn't play for those teams.

That's not my point. The same thing happened with Romo. There is 100% groups in this fan base that latch onto certain players and as long as they put up pretty stats they are happy.

I think the issue here is your use of the word "happy." I have been a Cowboys fan since 1965 and I guarantee you have NEVER been happy after my team loses. But I have certainly graduated from being unbearably miserable for two months after they got knocked out of the playoffs or near unable to function in society after a regular season loss until they play again and win.. As a grownup you have to be able to compartmentalize these things .. especially now after 25 years of no championships.. You gotta enjoy the small victories if that's all you're going to get. I am not HAPPY about good stats in a loss. The key word in that sentence is "loss." But I can take individual performances and use those to give myself hope for the team to win the next game.. I think that's what you guys mistake for being happy or satisfied with stats or with great efforts by individuals. It's not because we are sated by them.. we are simply buoyed and encouraged by them.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I think the issue here is your use of the word "happy." I have been a Cowboys fan since 1965 and I guarantee you have NEVER been happy after my team loses. But I have certainly graduated from being unbearably miserable for two months after they got knocked out of the playoffs or near unable to function in society after a regular season loss until they play again and win.. As a grownup you have to be able to compartmentalize these things .. especially now after 25 years of no championships.. You gotta enjoy the small victories if that's all you're going to get. I am not HAPPY about good stats in a loss. The key word in that sentence is "loss." But I can take individual performances and use those to give myself hope for the team to win the next game.. I think that's what you guys mistake for being happy or satisfied with stats or with great efforts by individuals. It's not because we are sated by them.. we are simply buoyed and encouraged by them.
You seem like a level headed fan and I wasn't trying to imply that you are happy as long as Dak has good stats.

I am saying that as long as Dak plays well certain segments of the fan base is happy. I don't agree with that, but you def. see people latch on to certain players and elevate them to a level that's basically above the team for them.

CWR

Reaction score
:hammer:

CWR

Reaction score
You seem like a level headed fan and I wasn't trying to imply that you are happy as long as Dak has good stats.

I am saying that as long as Dak plays well certain segments of the fan base is happy. I don't agree with that, but you def. see people latch on to certain players and elevate them to a level that's basically above the team for them.

There may be some odd ball fans or out there, but I don't believe it's common. We can of course agree to disagree on that point.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Are you seriously suggesting the same Cowboy fans that are rabid about Dak would be just as rabid if Dak were the QB of the Broncos or Jags or some other NFL team? And that they don't care about the Cowboys succeeding?

Clearly that's not the case. They may not always be realistic about Dak, but they became interested in Dak to begin with because he was the Cowboys QB - the team they follow - and clearly they want Dak to succeed because they feel that will lead to the Cowboys succeeding.

Reactions: CWR

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So as long as you're a late round flyer who won't hog up any of the limelight he's willing to talk to you.

What a leader.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So as long as you're a late round flyer who won't hog up any of the limelight he's willing to talk to you.

What a leader.
Yeah, he should have done the same with that WR they drafted earlier … what round was that again?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Are you seriously suggesting the same Cowboy fans that are rabid about Dak would be just as rabid if Dak were the QB of the Broncos or Jags or some other NFL team? And that they don't care about the Cowboys succeeding?

Clearly that's not the case. They may not always be realistic about Dak, but they became interested in Dak to begin with because he was the Cowboys QB - the team they follow - and clearly they want Dak to succeed because they feel that will lead to the Cowboys succeeding.
No. I'm not actually.

There was the cult of Romo when he was the QB also. 2016 was miserable for a lot of fans, because even though we went 13-3, Romo wasn't the QB doing the winning. I believe there are segments of this fans base that 100% would not have as much fun winning games unless Dak is the QB winning the games.

You know like how fans follow Lebron from team to team? They're never a real fan of the team, just a fan of Lebron. That's how fans are about certain players.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. I'm not actually.

There was the cult of Romo when he was the QB also. 2016 was miserable for a lot of fans, because even though we went 13-3, Romo wasn't the QB doing the winning. I believe there are segments of this fans base that 100% would not have as much fun winning games unless Dak is the QB winning the games.

You know like how fans follow Lebron from team to team? They're never a real fan of the team, just a fan of Lebron. That's how fans are about certain players.
This is the post you responded to. Within this context it's pretty easy to understand why it appeared you were saying fans were rabid about Dak and not about the Cowboys.

The large majority of Cowboy fans want Dak to succeed because he is our QB. It really is that simple. If Dak played somewhere else Cowboy fans wouldn't care about his success. Duh right?

That said, sure there are fans that get rabid about a player, even to the point they lose a little focus on the team, but realistically that works in reverse as well. I honestly believe there are some that are more committed to wanting Dak to fail than they are to wanting the team to win.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
This is the post you responded to. Within this context it's pretty easy to understand why it appeared you were saying fans were rabid about Dak and not about the Cowboys.

That said, sure there are fans that get rabid about a player, even to the point they lose a little focus on the team, but realistically that works in reverse as well. I honestly believe there are some that are more committed to wanting Dak to fail than they are to wanting the team to win.

Well if anyone wants Dak to fail then they are not a fan of the team.

Reactions: CWR

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can't make up your own rules because it suits you. You considering a player on the team doesn't make it so. A contract is required.

And, lest you forget, my post said he "technically" wasn't on the team, so I recognized he was likely to be a Cowboy, but you wouldn't accept that, despite the facts.

Ask yourself what are the elements of employment. In the NFL it involves a contract, but on top of that, universally it means a person is on the payroll, is getting paid, and is obligated to perform the duties of the job. None of those things applied to the relationship between the Cowboys and Dak at the time of the 2020 draft.

As it has been said, you are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

The obvious reason I'm telling you about contract negotiations is because you oddly equate the notion of Dak sticking with his negotiating position as acting like a petulant child. You seem to have no understanding that it is a business maneuver, or that a negotiation tactic doesn't work if the party doesn't appear to be serious about the position they take.

That's what I said was going on - that Dak wasn't under contract, and as part of the negotiation he had to maintain his leverage by showing he was serious about his position.

Those are the facts. You have no facts, and are going on emotion and what you want to believe.
I never said otherwise. I even told you I wasn't "going on facts"...but here you are lecturing me about it.

I really just don't give a crap about such unimportant minutia. Facts? He was in contract talks...did a tag, then signed a deal. These things happen all the time and nobody says "well he ain't on the team". Except you.

And for the record...I NEVER called him a petulent child until YOU made this big azz deal about not being on the team. You made this leaping ***-umption.....incorrectly. I was mocking your stupid technical detail that he's not on the team.

If you had caught me randomly saying that out of nothing...I'd give it to ya.

Still...I am unsure why you have latched on...and continue to do so...even though I EXCPLICITLY told you exactly what you are chastising me for (as if I didn't know what I was doing).

I will say it again just to p you off. If you are in contract negotiations....you are still on the team. If you quit, get fired, traded or retire...then NOT on the team. There's no fine print you can lecture me about that changes my perspective. I didn;t care in the 70's and certainly don't give a dam now.

Have a great day.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This exact post is a perfect example of leadership. Having our star QB reach out to a late round rookie WR and welcome him, as well as telling him let's go to work is a simple, but perfect example of how a leader handles his team. Having the pass catchers over to his home to work on routes and timing is leadership. If you cant lead they don't show up to follow.

Besides that there are numerous examples and quotes from his teammates over the last several years.

If you haven't seen this, or are unaware then you aren't paying attention. It's well documented, and a simple Google search will give you a dozen different examples in about four seconds.
Again I will tell you...I wanted YOUR examples of "leadership". It seems it's a matter of definition.

I don't look at leadership as doing your job. And that's what I see this as. Dak doing his job. I think Aikman showed leadership by questioning the coaches babying players. I see Brady getting up in that arse.

There...I gave you my personal examples. But you don't. "This thread" and "players say"....is it?

Well mkay. Players say ship all the time....especially when they are on the team. I wouldn't expect them to say anything else. QB calling a rookie? Is leadership? Hmmmm I EXPECT him to do that as part of his job.

A leader....will stick his neck out on the line. When I see Aikman or brady in the face of a player....then I see leadership. (Not a Dez hissy fit but a "hey get your ship together man come on"). I'm not convinced Dak does that. It's just his way and it's fine.

We have different definitions. Fine.

Again I will say...I have ZERO problems with Dak being our QB. I'm fine with it...hope he comes back HEALTHY! (O-line too).

Not sure why people have such an issue with this dichotomy.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Do other franchises have fans that hate their quarterback like this, especially when he was on pace to throw for almost 6000 yards?

:facepalm:

Hey we had guys that hated Romo. Absolutely hated him. Some even hated him because he wore his cap backwards. LOL