Dak, Time to get smart

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think it has been mostly silent from Prescott's camp, nothing to act on. He's on board for this season and awaiting the protocol for reporting to camp, if there is one.

I think some labor under the misconception that this has been this drawn out negotiation going back and forth and I would be surprised of they talked 5 times the entire off season. Offers get made and then the silence begins, each side hoping the other breaks the silence first.

One thing some ran with here, and I don't know where that came from, was that Prescott wasn't perfectly happy to play for twice what he received in 4 years for 1 year. He, evidently, wants a 4 year deal or a 1 year deal. They allowed these assumptions from the moronic talking heads to influence them or the plants by the Joneses trying to make him look greedy. Him look greedy. What a joke.
All I keep hearing is the money was ok but only for 4 years. If there is a 5th year then they want it to be the projected going market rate for that year, around 45+. But it’s all hear say. If the money was ok for the 4 years then just do 4 years and start working on a new contract in year 3. Maybe it’s because JJ wants to get what he wants and can’t. Or maybe Daks agent is out of line. We won’t know.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Initially I figured Jerry would cave but with him already locked in with franchise tag and prospects of not having a season anyway, Jerry might stand pat and let it ride for now.
I do think if this virus was all but gone then this maybe done already.

cern

Reaction score
How much media info is attributable to the Jones party and how much attributable to dak's agent? It seems most here think good faith negotiations mean just caving in to the other side regardless of how it would hurt the rest of the team. the first grade pie chart lesson isn't as well understood as i would have imagined.

cern

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a nice big helping of the propoganda that Jerry had been shoving out.

This is completely on Jerry who should have signed Dak a year ago at the very latest.
Is Jerry to blame if a good offer is made but refused? Is it then incumbent on Jerry to just cave in to dak's demands? Regardless of the effect it would have on the rest of the team?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Prescott's, all the way. Always was, I am always on the side of the player unless I don't like him and I am pretty ambivalent about him. I didn't care much for him when the played the part of the organ grinder's monkey for Booger on the kneeling but that's about all I don't like about him. He plays hard and leaves it all on the field and he will give himself up and I like that about any player.

I am not part of that group thinking if they can get him to deal, they can better assemble a SB team. Is that what's been preventing these clowns in their own circus from doing that for 25 years? They don't have the skill or talent to do that, deal or no deal from the QB. Hell , they had the best deal going for 4 years and what did they do?
This is kinda of a no lose situation for me, If Jerry caves in can pounce . If we don’t then can pounce on the Daksters certain Dak would get an extension.

I’m not sold Dak is an Elite QB and thinks he’s worth less than he’s demanding . I’ve actually applauded Jerry for standing firm thus far although I expected him to cave.

I don’t mind signing Dak. He might be enough to take us home but I’m not sold he’s worth top 5 or even top 10 money since he’s so dependent on Elite supporting cast.

So , I guess I’m more in line with Ksboys that Dak should take the deal. He’s not as great as he thinks he is. He’s benefitted from his situation and supporting cast. That means I actually applaud Jerry for standing pat so far.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is Jerry to blame if a good offer is made but refused? Is it then incumbent on Jerry to just cave in to dak's demands? Regardless of the effect it would have on the rest of the team?
No, I’ve actually applauded Daddy idiot and Son on this one so far as expected them to cave after pumping Dak up so much in the media .

Im rarely on our owners side. But I could still pounce on them later if it doesn’t work out. Lol

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Should have gave Dak whatever he wanted before 2019 when they could spread the money out.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Another possibility is that with the virus uncertainty, since Jerry made his initial offer, he's concerned about giving more than one year for fear the salary cap will fall, and Dak's money will be a big part of the cap.

He may just think that Dak is so set on the 4 year deal he'll never take the 5 year deal, so that means Dak will play under the tag and Jerry won't be tied to a big long term deal, can wait and see what happens with the cap.

But nobody knows, just a thought...

plasticman

Reaction score
This all depends on perception. Shouldn't it be Dak who decides what is a good offer? Didn't Jones cave in to Zeke's demands? Isn't that the only reason Zeke isn't held to the same standard as Dak, simply because Jerry did cave in?

Everybody else in that draft got paid before Dak. Zeke got paid even after holding out before his contract was up and despite the suspensions that probably cost the Cowboys a game or two. Jaylon Smith got paid despite missing his entire rookie season and only starting 6 games the next season. Even Anthony Brown got paid.

Zeke 's rookie contract was 25 million including a 16 million signing bonus and it wasn't good enough after the first three years. Meanwhile, Dak, the 2016 Rookie of the Year and two time Pro Bowler, made slightly less than 5 million over his 4 seasons. Why shouldn't Dak feel like he's owed some back pay? Why shouldn't he feel like it's somebody else's turn to be the Bargain of the Century?

Goff, the #1 overall pick in the 2016 draft got 28 million. Is it Dak's fault that the NFL did not correctly evaluate his abilities, causing him to fall to the 4th round? No doubt, Dak would have been a top ten pick if anyone suspected what he was capable of doing. Looking back, he would never have been considered a bust as a #1 pick, the team would still have been celebrated for their shrewd scouting.

Still, suppose the Cowboys were to pay Dak 200 million for the next four seasons. Combine that with Dak's first four seasons. That would average out to less than 26 million per year for 8 seasons, four which has been completed, four which remains at that average. That "8 year contract" would still be heralded as the "Bargain of the Century"

Dak has been the consummate professional through all of this. He hasn't held out, complained, postured, threatened, or used the media to strike at Jerry. However, Jerry has used the media to to influence the perception of fans. Jerry, who has always prided himself as a deal maker is upset because Dak wasn't being "team friendly", the one guy that has every right not to be team friendly.

If Jerry is concerned about the effect on the salary cap then he should have considered that around this same time last season when he rewarded the holdout and disrespected the man who hasn't missed a start in his first four seasons.

Adreme

Reaction score
Another possibility is that with the virus uncertainty, since Jerry made his initial offer, he's concerned about giving more than one year for fear the salary cap will fall, and Dak's money will be a big part of the cap.

He may just think that Dak is so set on the 4 year deal he'll never take the 5 year deal, so that means Dak will play under the tag and Jerry won't be tied to a big long term deal, can wait and see what happens with the cap.

But nobody knows, just a thought...

The salary cap is not going to fall. There are provisions in the CBA specifically in case something unexpected like this happens outside of normal operations that call for both the union and owners to negotiate a way to continue normal business operations and maintain the cap. That will likely just mean a flat cap for the next 2-3 years (exact length depends on how large the jumps would be from the new TV deal, gambling money, increased player revenue etc. that were all expected to contribute to a massive jump over the next 2 years that will likely all happen after things are back to normal) before a massive jump happens once again.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The salary cap is not going to fall. There are provisions in the CBA specifically in case something unexpected like this happens outside of normal operations that call for both the union and owners to negotiate a way to continue normal business operations and maintain the cap. That will likely just mean a flat cap for the next 2-3 years (exact length depends on how large the jumps would be from the new TV deal, gambling money, increased player revenue etc. that were all expected to contribute to a massive jump over the next 2 years that will likely all happen after things are back to normal) before a massive jump happens once again.

At this point, nobody knows what will happen to the cap. And it may not fall this next year, but what about if there's no season at all this year? Provisions are fine, but the reality may be such that they simply can't follow them...