Dak, Time to get smart

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And Dak now has a right to negotiate for the contract he wants, that's the way it works.

So how about everybody dropping the double standard by turning Dak into the bad guy.

The Cowboys got a great deal in Dak's first four seasons. Now Dak wants a great deal.

Dak wants the best deal he can get, which I don't fault anyone for. He's in business for himself and his family, not us.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jerry Jones is too smart. Dalton was signed to pressure Dak on signing the franchise tag . Now that Dak signed it there is no reason to sign him to long term deal when Jerry and Stephen can get a look at another prove it season. Dak in my opinion failed last season because of his performance against the half decent teams.

The reason to sign Dak now is if they want him. If they don't want him, they should look into trades this summer and roll with Dalton. A starting quality QB waiting to take over is an opportunity we'll rarely have.

If Dak won't sign now at 30mil, why would he sign next year when he'll make 20% more and be 1 year closer to free agency? With the addition of Lamb and the maturation of the rest of the offense, Dak has an easier row to hoe this year.

If Jerry wanted to pressure Dak to sign a long term deal, he should have spent a 3-5 on a QB to develop into the future. Signing Dak is a long term solution. Pressure on Dak only comes if the Cowboys have a potential long term alternative.

Jerry could spend a million on an option extension for Dalton at a decent starting salary. That would be pressure on Dak. It would be a win-win for the Cowboys and Dalton.

Swagger

Reaction score
"Emmitt Smith is a luxury, not a necessity"

- Jerry Jones in 1993 during negotiations of Emmitt's contract. Emmitt ended up holding out during the first two games of the season, in which the Cowboys went 0-2. Jerry gave in and the Cowboys went on to win the Super Bowl. The MVP ended up being "the Luxury"

Jerry also expressed regret when Parcells decided to replace Bledsoe with Romo, he assured everyone that Joseph Randle was a legitimate starter after Murray left and he expressed both regret amd anger when Stephen insisted that he pass on Johnny Manziel, an historic bust, and select Martin, a perrenial Pro Bowler.

That speaks a whole congressional library.

I'm referring to a QB that has played on the team over four years.

My point is that would the front office risk the future of the franchise over offering a 4 or 5 contract to Mahomes or Wilson? In my view, absolutely not. So why have they dithered over 18 months to pen Prescott to a new contract on his terms like they have done with pretty much everybody else?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So you think the Commanders were sold on Kirk Cousins?

There's a huge difference between signing a player on a tag at a point in the season where the money couldn't really be fully utilised on other resources (if we really wanted Clowney we could work around it i.e. restructure or drop Crawford) and ensuring the player is signed long term at all costs.

Do you think the front office would mess around arguing over a 4 or 5 year contract (if that is what's happening with Prescott) with Mahomes or Wilson? Absolutely not. The deal would be done asap.

Jerry has proven time and again that if he really wants to do a deal, he will, going back to the Deion signing, so I can see your reasoning. However Mahomes and Wilson are SB winning players, Dak is not, so I'm just thinking Jerry has learned from past mistakes and is just being a bit more hardnosed. Yeah he got Deion, signed Aikman to huge deals, but both only resulted in one immediate SB win, entirely possible Jerry has finally learned to think ahead.

We'll never know, either one of us could be right, I certainly can see how it could happen, I just think offering the tag is just buying Jerry time.

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that Dak is signed before the deadline, but since Jerry is Jerry, I'd not bet more than that

:thumbup:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The reason to sign Dak now is if they want him. If they don't want him, they should look into trades this summer and roll with Dalton. A starting quality QB waiting to take over is an opportunity we'll rarely have.

If Dak won't sign now at 30mil, why would he sign next year when he'll make 20% more and be 1 year closer to free agency? With the addition of Lamb and the maturation of the rest of the offense, Dak has an easier row to hoe this year.

If Jerry wanted to pressure Dak to sign a long term deal, he should have spent a 3-5 on a QB to develop into the future. Signing Dak is a long term solution. Pressure on Dak only comes if the Cowboys have a potential long term alternative.

Jerry could spend a million on an option extension for Dalton at a decent starting salary. That would be pressure on Dak. It would be a win-win for the Cowboys and Dalton.
Dalton isn’t a horrid one year solution. We probably aren’t going to have a season anyway. Certainly not a full regular season . Then draft one next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

My point is that would the front office risk the future of the franchise over offering a 4 or 5 contract to Mahomes or Wilson? In my view, absolutely not. So why have they dithered over 18 months to pen Prescott to a new contract on his terms like they have done with pretty much everybody else?
Good point and why it’s probably more than the one year. They must be millions away from a deal to draw it out this far.

cern

Reaction score
Every major player has been signed with the exception of dak. I find it amusing how many say the "jones boys" have screwed everything up. Zack, cooper, zeke and tank paid among the highest at their respective positions. Not to mention great team deals for collins and jaylon. Dak was offered good deal. He just wants more. Dak's ours under the tag this year. Why waste further time on him until next year.

plasticman

Reaction score

My point is that fans have the absolute right to question Jerry's judgement and the way he has handled negotiations.

He picked the wrong fight. He's playing hardball with the one guy that gave him the bargain of the century for four seasons. Worse, of all the players drafted that year, he gave very generous contracts to everyone but Dak. Furthermore, he has attempted to erode Dak's popularity by taking the issue to the media and creating the perception that Dak is greedy. I'm really in favor of an NFL policy that prohibits releasing information about contract negotiations other than announcing it's completion.

Jerry Jones has a well documented history of picking the wrong fight. From Emmitt's contract to his handling of WR Jimmy Smith to NFL rushing leader DeMarco Murray, Jerry has disrupted key elements of Cowboy teams as they attempt to sustain success, fragile as it is in today's NFL. He has created a distraction that shouldn't exist, had he been more proactive.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My point is that fans have the absolute right to question Jerry's judgement and the way he has handled negotiations.

He picked the wrong fight. He's playing hardball with the one guy that gave him the bargain of the century for four seasons. Worse, of all the players drafted that year, he gave very generous contracts to everyone but Dak. Furthermore, he has attempted to erode Dak's popularity by taking the issue to the media and creating the perception that Dak is greedy. I'm really in favor of an NFL policy that prohibits releasing information about contract negotiations other than announcing it's completion.

Jerry Jones has a well documented history of picking the wrong fight. From Emmitt's contract to his handling of WR Jimmy Smith to NFL rushing leader DeMarco Murray, Jerry has disrupted key elements of Cowboy teams as they attempt to sustain success, fragile as it is in today's NFL. He has created a distraction that shouldn't exist, had he been more proactive.

This is pure comedy at its finest!
Ok, bud Jerry ruined the chemistry of an 8-8 team who couldn't score against good defense all season long.
Sell crazy Dak theories all you want no one is buying the Dak-sauce including Jerry!
Enjoy Dak's last season as a Cowboy and make sure to follow him to his new team.....you will be able to find him riding the bench.

plasticman

Reaction score
This is pure comedy at its finest!
Ok, bud Jerry ruined the chemistry of an 8-8 team who couldn't score against good defense all season long.
Sell crazy Dak theories all you want no one is buying the Dak-sauce including Jerry!
Enjoy Dak's last season as a Cowboy and make sure to follow him to his new team.....you will be able to find him riding the bench.
Comedy?

I take great effort to describe how Dak's numbers, that is, the recorded results of his performamce, has exceeded almost that of a every other QB in NFL history.

You talk about the team's record last season but what about the results of the season before Dak was drafted? What about the fact that only a handful of QB's, again in NFL history, have acheived the win total of the Cowboys with Dak starting in the first four seasons of his career. What about the fact that no other QB that took over when Romo was out was able to produce a winning record?

Cassell, Weeden, Orton....all previous experienced starters, failed to get results even close to Dak.

Many want to give credit to Zeke for the winning over the past four season. However, there are games where Zeke was shut down, only to have Dak throw for 300-400 yards on their way to a victory.

I don't have to sell anything, all I have to do is state the results and challenge fans to find better results under the same circumstances as Dak.

I have expressed very little opinion on Dak's performance, I have merely stated statistical facts. You, on the other hand have presented 0 in support of your comments and predictions. That's because no such data exists.

In fact, I would have to say the most comical aspect of this discussion is your pompous expectation that anyone should care what you think despite your lack of effort.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
These players need to be more involved. It’s there future someone else is negotiating...

They are as involved as they want to be. They pay the agents to get them the biggest contract the agent can get. There are exceptions but it's not the norm and the players association hates it when guys take discounts.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
My first Dak thread, ever if memory serves.

Dak, can you seriously not see what this agent is doing to you? You are now appearing to be self-centered, completely eaten up w/ greed, and a guy who doesn't care a wit about the team or your teammates or any of that.

Is this the case? If it is, well OK. If this is not the case, please please please fire this bucket of self serving BS and get a real agent as Mahomes did. That is how a contract should be done, not this drawn out mess.

Yeah, just sign a half a billion $ deal Dak, itll show that you're not self-serving!! That'll teach em.

What his agent up to this point has done is get Dak a **** ton more money in his pocket. Dak bet on himself last season and it paid off big time, of Dak is confident again with betting on himself then so be it.

Only fans who don't understand the business side of things see Dak any different through these negotiations.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Every major player has been signed with the exception of dak. I find it amusing how many say the "jones boys" have screwed everything up. Zack, cooper, zeke and tank paid among the highest at their respective positions. Not to mention great team deals for collins and jaylon. Dak was offered good deal. He just wants more. Dak's ours under the tag this year. Why waste further time on him until next year.

Lol, not great examples Cern.

Zeke- had to have a holdout and got signed last minute
Lawrence- had to play on the tag and then holdout to ultimately get paid last minute
Cooper- freaking hit free agency

Yet, this is Dak exclusive? Nah Haha.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe Prescott and his agent are playing this smart. All of the leverage is theirs and there is no pressure on them to do anything. Prescott makes 31.4M and France makes 1M and they get to do this again next year but the stakes are higher because the tag will be quite a bit more than 31.4M.

The Cowboys get one of those however many years they are wanting and get the chance to see their QB with a new HC in a new system. Might cost them more but might be worth it as well.

The one thing they don't know, what are the term limits of a long term deal Prescott is willing to consider this next off season? Will he stick to a 3 year deal, whereas we understand it was 4 this go around? He and his agent want him in a FA posture come 2024.

I do not agree that Mahomes deal or them signing Dalton had or will have any effect on Prescott's deal, if there is one next season. I believe this is about his own perception of his value and worth to this team (and he could care less about anyone else's evaluation of that value) and the other deals this team has done with their star players. It is not about his worth on the open market but his worth to this team. They thought a DE was worth 21M, a WR 20M and a RB 15M, what's a QB worth?

As far as Dalton signed to pressure him to sign the tag, anyone believes that hasn't watched him play the last couple of years. There is a good reason CIN went QB with that 1st.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The public perception isn’t on Daks side.

This isn’t comparable to other Cowboys recent high profile signings as there was little argument if any of their value and Elite status in the league.

It was just a matter of getting them signed. This is a different circumstance as everyone isn’t sold Daks demands are worthy of his talent level and status amongst the Elite QB’s in the league.

cern

Reaction score
Lol, not great examples Cern.

Zeke- had to have a holdout and got signed last minute
Lawrence- had to play on the tag and then holdout to ultimately get paid last minute
Cooper- freaking hit free agency

Yet, this is Dak exclusive? Nah Haha.
Players hold out every year. On almost every team. It's sop for nfl negotiations. Most other sports, too. It's not just about the money from the pov of the fo. It's also about the structure. Stephen does a great job of it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys two bumbling idiots of Daddy and Son suk at contract negotiations and placing priorities often in the wrong places.

We over payed Lawrence. Caved on Elliott. After cutting our noses off despite our faces releasing Dez and Murray had to scramble using #1 picks to replace.

I expect them to bundle Dak deal and negotiations as well.

cern

Reaction score
I believe Prescott and his agent are playing this smart. All of the leverage is theirs and there is no pressure on them to do anything. Prescott makes 31.4M and France makes 1M and they get to do this again next year but the stakes are higher because the tag will be quite a bit more than 31.4M.

The Cowboys get one of those however many years they are wanting and get the chance to see their QB with a new HC in a new system. Might cost them more but might be worth it as well.

The one thing they don't know, what are the term limits of a long term deal Prescott is willing to consider this next off season? Will he stick to a 3 year deal, whereas we understand it was 4 this go around? He and his agent want him in a FA posture come 2024.

I do not agree that Mahomes deal or them signing Dalton had or will have any effect on Prescott's deal, if there is one next season. I believe this is about his own perception of his value and worth to this team (and he could care less about anyone else's evaluation of that value) and the other deals this team has done with their star players. It is not about his worth on the open market but his worth to this team. They thought a DE was worth 21M, a WR 20M and a RB 15M, what's a QB worth?

As far as Dalton signed to pressure him to sign the tag, anyone believes that hasn't watched him play the last couple of years. There is a good reason CIN went QB with that 1st.
Just a question, coach. One to which i don't know the answer. If dak plays on the tag, is that considered a negotiated deal. Is his agent due his commission for this? UPDATE. i just googled it and supposedly agent only gets 2% on first time tag. 1.5% on second tag. So agent only gets 628,000.

Last edited: