Dak vs. Trevor Lawrence is not an either-or choice

garyo1954

Reaction score
This Dak vs. Trevor Lawrence debate is starting among Cowboys fans. It is being presented as "If you have the chance, do you take Trevor Lawrence with a top 5 pick, or do you stick with Dak Prescott?"

The answer is: you do both.

Lawrence just turned 21. Dak is 27. When Dak is 32 or 33. at the end of whatever contract is being contemplated, Lawrence will be 25/26. There is enough of an age difference to make it worth the value.

If Lawrence comes in and quickly turns into an elite quarterback, then Dak becomes valuable trade bait. If Lawrence busts, we still have Dak.

People will create reasons that this won't be a thing, probably talking about "splitting the locker room" and so forth. But both Troy and Roger had to fight for their spot with genuine competition (or at least the perception of such).

You only get to play one QB at a time. If you keep Dak, Trevor is not going to get playing time.

bewp7

Reaction score
it is because there is finite resources in the nfl. u dont invest franchise qb money and the #1 overall pick (what lawrence will be) in qbs at the same time.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
You don't want Trevor to get maimed in his first season, so he should go to some other team.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
This Dak vs. Trevor Lawrence debate is starting among Cowboys fans. It is being presented as "If you have the chance, do you take Trevor Lawrence with a top 5 pick, or do you stick with Dak Prescott?"

Lawrence just turned 21. Dak is 27. When Dak is 32 or 33. at the end of whatever contract is being contemplated, Lawrence will be 25/26. There is enough of an age difference to make it worth the value.

If Lawrence comes in and quickly turns into an elite quarterback, then Dak becomes valuable trade bait. If Lawrence busts, we still have Dak.

People will create reasons that this won't be a thing, probably talking about "splitting the locker room" and so forth. But both Troy and Roger had to fight for their spot with genuine competition (or at least the perception of such).

We aren't getting Lawrence. If we did, trade him for pics and build the defense.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
With 2 wins already i doubt cowboys will be in position to get Lawrence. Probably looking between pick 3 to 5 Probably not 1 or 2 for Cowboys. I think they shout go Tackle or pass rusher best available.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
Love Dak, think he is a top 8 quarterback in the NFL but you have to take Lawrence and 5 years of cost controlled play. Lawrence has a chance to be the best quarterback in the league because of his size and arm strength.

i don't know man. i get it, i really do, but the way this team has been run the past 4 years with a good qb on a rookie contract doesn't give me much confidence.....you put trevor lawrence on this team, and it might turn into a andrew luck/early retirement situation...Our defense needs to be completely overhauled and the OL may need addtional resources as well.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
because he's done
Maybe but I read a tweet just this week that OL is one the strongest position in the draft. In fact, the same guy thought you could fine starters deep into day 2 of the draft. IF this is true, I'm going defense and maybe use a mid pick on OL

jimmy40

Reaction score
Maybe but I read a tweet just this week that OL is one the strongest position in the draft. In fact, the same guy thought you could fine starters deep into day 2 of the draft. IF this is true, I'm going defense and maybe use a mid pick on OL
Leatherwood is an absolute badass, I'd pick him but that's just me

Bigdog

Reaction score
Love Dak, think he is a top 8 quarterback in the NFL but you have to take Lawrence and 5 years of cost controlled play. Lawrence has a chance to be the best quarterback in the league because of his size and arm strength.
Agree with you on this. I love Dak but I just think Lawrence has a better skill set with good intangibles. And being on the rookie contract helps out since you can use the money to fix the defense that you have to pay Dak.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If cowboys get #1 overal pick, you could trade that for 4 1st rounders. That’s worth way more than Dak’s contract, even if TL ever pans out to be as good as dak

lqmac1

Reaction score

Probably the same crowd that tried to argue Dalton is better. They have to find something new no. We have a tier 1, elite quarterback and I’m not so cool just easily dumping him for someone that we hope would be a tier 1 elite quarterback.

basel90

Reaction score
this team issues are not the QB position . If lawrence costs less as a rookie contract , then pick lawrence and use the savings to fix the OL. DL DB positions,

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Very little chance we have the #1 pick. I don't even think we get a sure fire top 5 pick. We are a dumpster fire, but there are alot of really bad teams in the NFL right now.

We probably won't even be the worst in the division. That will probably be NY

Sandyf

Reaction score

Does anyone believe the Jets will pass on Lawrence, if you think so well I have ocean front property in North Dakota you would interested in buying also.

lqmac1

Reaction score
The smart thing to do would be to take somebody to the cleaners like the Jets who would be in dire need of a quarterback. You trade back a few spots and stay in the top 10 while collecting a few 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks

USArmyVet

Reaction score

So you want to commit not only $35M+ to Dak to be the starting QB but another $6-7M for Lawrence to be the back-up QB? So $40M+ committed to the QB position knowing that the salary cap may go down next season? Sorry but not a reality.

If Dallas holds a Top 5 pick next season and is determined to rebuild then you apply the non-exclusive franchise tag to Dak so he can shop elsewhere for the contract he desires and then negotiate with that team for draft pick compensation. Thereafter you draft a new young QB while then looking to add young talent on the OL and defense via the draft and free agency thanks to the money saved from Dak.