Dak vs. Zone coverage

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Last week against the Giants, Dak carved up man coverage. This week, he seemed to struggle more against zone coverage of the Panthers. So, for all the football experts who carve up teams performance through film study, I have 2 questions:

Does Dak do better against man coverage or zone coverage?

If Dak does more poorly against zone coverage, is the problem Dak, or is it that the Cowboys receivers don't find the holes in the zone as easily? Seems like an opportunity for good coaching to improve the Cowboys offense to me.
The issue is how this team can or can NOT run the ball effectively vs a heavy dose of zone defense with the safeties sitting back taking away deep passes. The running game was a little better yesterday but still needs to improve.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
We all know Dak sucks vs zone and a solid front 4. The reason being, he is a 1 thought process QB. When the play is blown up, he just can't read the field. This is why there are always several receivers wide open when he throws it into triple coverage.

I am actually enjoying this hot streak by him and the team, it sets everyone up to fail hard when he lets everyone down, like he does every season.
Didn't know cavemen had the internet.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It’s not just zone. It’s the two deep looks a la Vic Fangio—cover 2, cover 4, cover 6, etc. When so many defenders are dropping into coverage, an offense should be able to run better than the Cowboys do.
This 100%, we ran the ball well at times vs Car but too many time the right side gave up negative plays that we for sure got bailed out on by dumb penalties by the defense.. even bad NFL defenses can take away chunk plays with simple zone concepts..you have to be able to execute a short YAC passing game AND RUN THE BALL...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Last week against the Giants, Dak carved up man coverage. This week, he seemed to struggle more against zone coverage of the Panthers. So, for all the football experts who carve up teams performance through film study, I have 2 questions:

If Dak does more poorly against zone coverage, is the problem Dak, or is it that the Cowboys receivers don't find the holes in the zone as easily? Seems like an opportunity for good coaching to improve the Cowboys offense to me.
Why do y'all keep saying this? This was just last season lol.....

aikemirv

Reaction score
He did not play great today, wasn’t helped by a few drops.
We would not have needed the penalty help if we had made those catches and the contested ones. Tolbert left a lot to be desired there and was poor getting out of breaks.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Carolina has long been a tough defensive team to deal with. They have an outstanding DL and secondary to deal with. Dak stayed very focused and avoided the mistakes that commonly occur with teams that limit the long ball so effectively. He's on a roll as far as I'm concerned. Let's hope it lasts. We'll have some tough tests to overcome in the weeks ahead. From my perspective, Dak should handle it well if he keeps playing his cards right.

Last edited:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Why do y'all keep saying this? This was just last season lol.....

its a myth, Dak doesnt have huge games against defenses that are hell bent on keeping everything in front of them...just like all QB's when a defense does this...They run the ball throw short passes for YAC not throw bombs into the hands of a saftey waiting on the bomb...

DuceizBak

Reaction score
QBs that typically face those defenses usually are able to run the ball. We've gotten better and better, but still need at least a top 16th ranked run game and il be fine as long as we keep our top 4 passing game.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

That's what Zone coverage is supposed to do, limit big plays especially down field and limits YAC. It requires playing more patiently and taking underneath stuff, take what they give you. One of the reasons that TDs are down league wide is the amount of zone being played.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
That's what Zone coverage is supposed to do, limit big plays especially down field and limits YAC. It requires playing more patiently and taking underneath stuff, take what they give you. One of the reasons that TDs are down league wide is the amount of zone being played.
This 100%

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Carolina has the worst QB in the game. sheesh. Rush throws harder and better than him. smh

GINeric

Reaction score
We all know Dak sucks vs zone and a solid front 4. The reason being, he is a 1 thought process QB. When the play is blown up, he just can't read the field. This is why there are always several receivers wide open when he throws it into triple coverage.

I am actually enjoying this hot streak by him and the team, it sets everyone up to fail hard when he lets everyone down, like he does every season.

You can tell you're another brainless troll who only get happy when we lose.

No true fan would ever look forward to any of their players failing at anytime for any reason. I feel bad for you kid.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
You can tell you're another brainless troll who only get happy when we lose.

No true fan would ever look forward to any of their players failing at anytime for any reason. I feel bad for you kid.
Sometimes you have to fail to succeed. We have to fail to get rid of Dak.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Giants/Panthers have terrible defenses.

But look at what the rookie DC from the Cards did to us.

GINeric

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to fail to succeed. We have to fail to get rid of Dak.

Fail and get rid of a top 10 quarterback and replace him with who or what???

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard or read in my life. Cheering for your OWN team to lose....

You new age fans are really weak people, I swear. Just totally clueless as to what being a true fan is all about.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
Fail and get rid of a top 10 quarterback and replace him with who or what???

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard or read in my life. Cheering for your OWN team to lose....

You new age fans are really weak people, I swear. Just totally clueless as to what being a true fan is all about.
Wait, you are assuming I'm a new age fan or that I'm a "Kid" because I want the Cowboys to get rid of Dak?

How else are we supposed to get rid of Dak?

The only way short of wishing an injury on him, which I would never do, is for the team to lose.Then, the owner will finally make a change. And that's a maybe, we all know Jerry is slow to make changes and always waits too late.

Dak is one of the reasons we continue to exist in mediocrity. Eight seasons and he hasn't grown much as a QB. See season 1.

So yeah, instead of cheering on the Cowboys to more mediocrity, I'm hoping for some drastic changes.

Sports opinions are subjective, but in this case I will be able to come back here in 5 or 10 years and bump this post, and ask you where are you at generic? How did that go backing Dak for so long? Where's that super bowl? Glad you stuck behind a mediocre QB.

Or maybe, just maybe, Jerry will shock us all and dump Dak after we are 1 and done in the playoffs again.

Last edited:

GINeric

Reaction score
Wait, you are assuming I'm a new age fan or that I'm a "Kid" because I want the Cowboys to get rid of Dak?

How else are we supposed to get rid of Dak?

The only way short of wishing an injury on him, which I would never do, is for the team to lose.Then, the owner will finally make a change. And that's a maybe, we all know Jerry is slow to make changes and always waits too late.

Dak is one of the reasons we continue to exist in mediocrity. Eight seasons and he hasn't grown much as a QB. See season 1.

So yeah, instead of cheering on the Cowboys to more mediocrity, I'm hoping for some drastic changes.

Sports opinions are subjective, but in this case I will be able to come back here in 5 or 10 years and bump this post, and ask you where are you at generic? How did that go backing Dak for so long? Where's that super bowl? Glad you stuck behind a mediocre QB.

Or maybe, just maybe, Jerry will shock us all and dump Dak after we are 1 and done in the playoffs again.

You bring up 8 seasons, but Dak has only played 6 and a half due to injury. So let's get that straight. With that said, I can name a few Hall of Fame quarterbacks who won the same amount of playoff games in 6 in a half seasons and zero superbowl rings in THAT SAME TIME FRAME.

And they were drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds. What excuses do you have for those quarterbacks? Did you say the same about them???

On top of that... Dak hasn't had a healthy starting offensive line in 2 seasons until this year and a weak *** run game the last couple of seasons. So stop putting 100% blame on that man.

We led the league in penalties the last couple of seasons.... Dak didn't commit any of them, but let's gloss over the functions of the rest of the team.

Dak is not an elite quarterback, but he gives us our best chance to win right now. Like I said, replace him with what?? With who???

Dak has already outplayed every quarterback in his draft class and is much better than many 1st and 2nd round drafted quarterbacks in the league. What spin job can you place on that?

There are 64+ quarterbacks in the NFL and Dak’s play puts him in the top 10 out of all of those quarterbacks most of his career.

Can't wait to see how you spin these facts, while trying to come up with who we are supposed to replace him with.