Twitter: Dak was second most accurate (64.3%) in NFL on 3rd & 5+ in 2019

basel90

Reaction score
Ok now we are getting somewhere lol. So is the 25-30 mil contract your numbers of choice because of the percentage of the cap they take or because of an arbitrary feeling that those are what he’s worth?

I assume you choose those numbers because they are cheap enough where the team can continue to be good around him; and him getting 35M has nothing to do with the number but rather that it will hamstring the cap.

If I’m correct here, I’ll lay this out for you:

With the recent reports making it clear that the issue is the years not the AAV (average annual value), the 34-35M reports for his deal seem to be around where he will land. NBC Profootballtalk did a segment on what the cap hits would be year by year in a 4 or 5 year deal. With both deals having the AAV around 34/35M, the cap hits wouldn’t exceed 32M for either until year 3. By the time Dak’s cap hit is 35M, the CBA’s raised salary cap will be substantially higher than it is now. So a 34-35M deal will carry the same percentage as the 26-28M you are looking for.

Unless you have a personal issue with the number 35, it will not be a cap constricting number. Now, 40M might do it, but 34-36ish won’t. This is why Dak is fighting so hard for the years because he knows he will be underpaid by year 3-4 as 8-10 qb’s would have extensions making more than him and 35M would decrease in value.

good analysis . I said 25-30 because he is not a top tier QB. Heard Mahomes is negotiating a 40 mil deal and i think you agree that should be the ceilieng. A 25-30 team freindly deal for dak leaves sufficient cap space now and in the next few years even after the new cap, for the cowboys to fix the defense and replenish the offense.

817Gill

Reaction score
good analysis . I said 25-30 because he is not a top tier QB. Heard Mahomes is negotiating a 40 mil deal and i think you agree that should be the ceilieng. A 25-30 team freindly deal for dak leaves sufficient cap space now and in the next few years even after the new cap, for the cowboys to fix the defense and replenish the offense.
I get where your head is for sure. For me the number itself is irrelevant, as long as we can have the flexibility to make moves. Whether that number is 39.5 or 24.5 is good with me. Seems to be 34-36M in this case, anything over that and the cap starts getting tight.

starcity214

Reaction score
I mean if you want to make a blanket statement, how do you regress when you go from 9-7 in 2017 to 10-6 and a playoff win in 2018 and better stats all around? Dak has physically gotten better these last two seasons, you see a totally different passer from week nine 2018 to now. Those who refuse to see that improvement and refuse to believe all the statistical information that backs it up, are difficult to have a real discussion with.

He wins you want better stats. He gives you better stats you want the wins.

You say the team regressed one season but ignore their improvement another. We say our coaching is below average and acknowledge its role in our lack of success, yet we say Dak has no excuse but to perform at a high level consistently.

Dak has the third most wins in the NFL since he entered, you say what’s his record against winning teams. Dak’s record against winning teams is above league average btw. Only 3 guys have records above .500 (Brady, Ben, Russ).

No matter how many times the goalpost is moved, Dak has been overwhelmingly more good than bad in his career. Stats and wins both prove it so. By all NFL QB ranking systems, Dak is a 7-10 ranked QB in the league. You can debate whether he’s worth top money, but to act like he’s some scrub is such a dated and proven-false take.

There's a reason the Chiefs moved on from Alex Smith and drafted Mahomes. It got them a Super bowl.

If you can't see it, you just don't understand football..

Even Harbaugh knew guys like Alex "But, but, but look at his QBR" Smith won't get you to the top.

817Gill

Reaction score
There's a reason the Chiefs moved on from Alex Smith and drafted Mahomes. It got them a Super bowl.

If you can't see it, you just don't understand football..

Even Harbaugh knew guys like Alex "But, but, but look at his QBR" Smith won't get you to the top.
Way to cherry pick a once in a generation move lol good stuff. Maybe we should draft a guy in round 6 and hope he’s Tom Brady too huh?

You only need the best QB in the league to win huh?

It took Alex Smith years to get to as good as he got in Kansas City, Dak was equated to ‘Alex Smith’ as a rookie lol. Dak has already surpassed Alex Smith statistically and in wins through this point of their career’s. Dak is a 7-10 ranked QB who is only getting better lol, this Alex Smith to Mahomes thing is off; especially cause there’s no one in this draft that could sniff Mahomes jockstrap.

jnday

Reaction score
There was a poll in here? LOL. Is that all you've got to go by? Everyone knows the majority here who don't like Dak are old Romoholics with an agenda. Try looking up some opinions on social media from other Cowboys fans. The majority like Dak and don't see him as a problem.
I have stated this before, I am a member of several social media Cowboys pages and this board supports Dak more than any other board or page. This site also has the most homers of any site that I have seen. I have seen FB pages ban members for making silly pro-Dak posts like you make on this board.

jnday

Reaction score
1)Romo is gone. Done. Old news.
2)Romo at his best was a better QB than Dak overall, IMO. That won’t change (for me and many others) until Dak consistently out performs him, again, IMO. Only Dak can change my opinion, so don’t waste your time, bro!
3)Romo is gone. Done. Old News.
Thank you for stating those facts for him for the 1000th time. He is infatuated with Dak and he really thinks Romo has to be the only reason why other fans don’t slobber over Dak. To be honest , I disliked Dak years before the Cowboys even drafted him and he played for one of my favorite college teams. He doesn’t understand that Romo has nothing to do with Dak. Romo’s injuries had ended his career, so it is not like Dak made him retire. The accumulation of injuries put the final nail in Romo’s coffin.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I have stated this before, I am a member of several social media Cowboys pages and this board supports Dak more than any other board or page. This site also has the most homers of any site that I have seen. I have seen FB pages ban members for making silly pro-Dak posts like you make on this board.
TOTALLY UNTRUE. I'm on several FB Cowboys pages and other social media Cowboys pages, and real Cowboys fans by a majority support Dak and are glad to have him as QB. You might get a kick for spreading untruths, but you shouldn't go unchallenged for spreading such falsehoods.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Thank you for stating those facts for him for the 1000th time. He is infatuated with Dak and he really thinks Romo has to be the only reason why other fans don’t slobber over Dak. To be honest , I disliked Dak years before the Cowboys even drafted him and he played for one of my favorite college teams. He doesn’t understand that Romo has nothing to do with Dak. Romo’s injuries had ended his career, so it is not like Dak made him retire. The accumulation of injuries put the final nail in Romo’s coffin.
Sad effort of self consolation to comfort your hurt feelings. Dak is on pace to shatter most of Romo's franchise records. That's a fact. Plus, I guarantee he will lead the Cowboys to at least one or more NFC Championship Games or a Super Bowl within the next 2-3 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sad effort of self consolation to comfort your hurt feelings. Dak is on pace to shatter most of Romo's franchise records. That's a fact. Plus, I guarantee he will lead the Cowboys to at least one or more NFC Championship Games or a Super Bowl within the next 2-3 years.
Great I love guarantees. I responded just so I’ll have on record.

You're beginning to sound more like a head cheerleader. Which is fine. We need cheerleaders . It’s just not who we usually look to for sound and balanced analysis .

Go Dak!! Lol

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
TOTALLY UNTRUE. I'm on several FB Cowboys pages and other social media Cowboys pages, and real Cowboys fans by a majority support Dak and are glad to have him as QB. You might get a kick for spreading untruths, but you shouldn't go unchallenged for spreading such falsehoods.
This I can attest to. Dak is a favorite amongst most Cowboy fans much like Romo was. I was always in the minority with my criticism of both while I did give them some credit for their performances and accomplishments as we could have done worse.

I’ve just always wanted more. And felt we needed more to overcome our Puppetry coaching and dysfunctional organization. Still do!

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not true , he has wins against the weakest division in the NFL , so would not call them “ Prime Time “ , and he lost to the jets and Chicago !!
On the most prime time games ( season finale against Philadelphia he lost and could not score 1 TD) . Same for losses to the saints ( no TDs) , Patriots ( No TDs ) and many others at home .
Look , He is 1-6 against winning teams in 2019 and that is a fact. You can look at stats all you want . The NFL is about W-L and Super Bowls .
Regular season means nothing

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not true , he has wins against the weakest division in the NFL , so would not call them “ Prime Time “ , and he lost to the jets and Chicago !!
On the most prime time games ( season finale against Philadelphia he lost and could not score 1 TD) . Same for losses to the saints ( no TDs) , Patriots ( No TDs ) and many others at home .
Look , He is 1-6 against winning teams in 2019 and that is a fact. You can look at stats all you want . The NFL is about W-L and Super Bowls .
Do you know what primetime games areWhat about wins against the Saints. Just stop it

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Look , He is 1-6 against winning teams in 2019 and that is a fact. You can look at stats all you want . The NFL is about W-L and Super Bowls .[/QUOTEAnd your boat Tony Romo fans, so does that help you

Diehardblues

Reaction score
your theory is that he is a tremendous passer and winner. He may have improved some of his mechanics but his actual performance in important games : against winning teams , or when the running game was flat , is not good to say the least. He disappeared against the saints, patriouts, buffalo , ete etc and could not score a TD in the finale. Your theory is that all of these losses and disappearing acts are on the coaching and we should just look at his stats . We like his stats since 2016. But to the previous points and claim he is in the same class as Brees, Brady or Aaron or Wilson and wants more money than them , is a fantasy .
Yea but remember his fantasy is based on his belief he’s taking us to a couple NFL championships and Super Bowls in the next 2-3 years. If that guarantee (his words not mine ) are proven then Dak will be placed on a higher pedestal than many of his critics can imagine now.

If not then it will be more of the same mediocrity we had with Romo and the last couple decades. Assuming having more team success with Dak is a measurement?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Of the 40 wins with Dak as a starter, could somebody post how many came against teams with an above 500 record?
Oh you remind me of those old balloon buster WW1 pilots.

When the balloonist heard the planes coming they baled out. Ran for cover.

Watch them all bale and leave when they see your posts.

These guys know how to dish it out but stats that dispell their defenses are suddenly deaf and mute.

Virtual reality is fake news baby.

But I think it's massively entertaining in a pandemic.

Ahhhb..

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm going to have to slightly...object. The problem with Romo's injuries is that he either came back too soon...or kept playing through them. You know very well he often played injured. Or came back before fully healed.

This last time? Circumstances allowed him to be fully healed and healthy. His last drive showed the possibilities.

I get it...I get why people say "well he was gonna get injured again anyway". Maybe, maybe not. But if a middle round rookie was able to run that team...what would an experienced vet have done? Tony's last drive gives us a glimpse.

basel90

Reaction score
I get where your head is for sure. For me the number itself is irrelevant, as long as we can have the flexibility to make moves. Whether that number is 39.5 or 24.5 is good with me. Seems to be 34-36M in this case, anything over that and the cap starts getting tight.
Agree .