Dak was the problem with Dez debunked

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
So Dez was only good on 2 gadget plays and Amari is great at every thing else..... Got it

The better you get an articulating your thoughts and opinions, the less you have to result to straw men like this. I'm still working on it myself.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like we can put another theory to rest. With Cooper coming in and having an almost instant rapport with Dak its clear that Dak wasn't the problem with Dez.

I can throw a 5 yard pass to Cooper and have him run it to the house.....you Dak-zoids are so desperate to have him be seen as a Franchise QB you will use every angle to cover the fact that a Pig is a Pig anyway you slice it....

Ken

Reaction score
Makes perfect sense. Dez doesn't get open. That's not his style. He goes after the 50/50 ball. So the ball is either on the should on the sideline or and the peak timing of his jump. Cooper gets wide open on his speed and runs to the ball where it's thrown. There's a difference.
Dez specializes in low percentage throws. Cooper does not.
That is the main difference.

Cydios

Reaction score
Dez specializes in low percentage throws. Cooper does not.
That is the main difference.
That I agree with. Only certain QB's are accurate enough. Romo was one of them. BUT One thing to add, it's not like great QB's grow on trees. Remember the drought between Aikman and Romo.. I'm fine with Dak for now because honestly, we have no other choices out there. This is also the same issue with Garrett, who else is there?

Jenky

Reaction score
Looks like we can put another theory to rest. With Cooper coming in and having an almost instant rapport with Dak its clear that Dak wasn't the problem with Dez.

How to you explain every other receiver not named Dez then? They all suck?

Batman1980

Reaction score
Had Dez had the chance to play with Brees he would be back to the old Dez.

Coops strenghts cover up a lot of Daks flaws and is a much better fit in this offense than Dez was, but i'm not buying the Dez was the problem line. Dak routinely misses wide open recivers. He's either not looking their way at all or just can't throw a pass anywhere near them. The only one he seems alble to connect with regularly is Coop and i think that's more on Coop than Dak

Cooper is like a WR someone made in a lab. Great speed, great hands, amazing route runner and decent size. Not to mention he lacks that uber prima donna attitude so many #1 WRs have. Oh and he'll be only 25 next year. His stats over the last 6 games with us translate to a 1700 yard, 16 TD, 112 catch season. Not going to touch the Dez thing out of respect for him, especially after that horrific injury.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
In truth, Dak’s perfect 2016 cocoon faded back into history and Dez got hurt, and that explained 2017.
That didn't really explain it at all. 8 games into 2017, Dallas led the league in scoring (per drive) while the passing looked like this:
2017 (first 8 games)
Bryant 38 of 75 (51%) 439 yd (5.9 ypa) 4 td 2 int 75.4
others 125 of 184 (68%) 1361 yd (7.4 ypa) 12 td 2 int 106.7

The 2017 collapse coincided with the injury to Tyron and (to a lesser extent) the loss of Zeke.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Dak has his flaws, but I never understood those that couldn't recognize what a shell of himself Dez had become. He was no better than a #2 or #3 receiver the last few years. He couldn't win any matchups with the guy across from him.
Cooper was breaking Gordon's ankles every play.

Dez couldn't get separation...............

Batman1980

Reaction score
percyhoward, what about the absolute pounding Dak took from the Falcons?

Dre11

Reaction score
Dak's big TD throws to Cooper are a short throw with a lot of YAC, a medium range throw with even more YAC, a nicely placed deep throw, an under thrown pass with a great adjustment by Cooper and still more YAC. In other words, its been mostly Cooper.

Wow, sounds like most qbs around the league......

Ken

Reaction score
That I agree with. Only certain QB's are accurate enough. Romo was one of them. BUT One thing to add, it's not like great QB's grow on trees. Remember the drought between Aikman and Romo.. I'm fine with Dak for now because honestly, we have no other choices out there. This is also the same issue with Garrett, who else is there?
Even as good as romo was at those throws...their best season together completion percentage wise was 66%.

Cydios

Reaction score
Even as good as romo was at those throws...their best season together completion percentage wise was 66%.

I'll give you that, but Romo had a few other weapons.. I'll just name one.. WITTEN.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Dak needs proficient route running recivers where as Romo did not....dez was very good physically and it made up for his lack of good routes....

Amari is better suited to play with dak than dez was given need on crisp routes....pretty simple really
Dez’s physicality did not make up for his deficiencies as a WR. Not one iota. All that did was get the dude hurt.

The Cowboys finally got a student of the game, which helps any QB.

If anything, Dez stunted Dak’s growth. Not the case any more

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
I think that was established a while ago already. No one said that Dez was a great route Runner. Dak and Dez did not mesh well because Dak did not know how to get Dez the ball properly. And Dez couldn't get open enough for Daks liking.

It's amazing how Cooper could just step in and produce. When other receivers have to be worked in while they learn the Playbook

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So if Prescott threw Bryant perfect back shoulder fades, does that still mean he can't make that throw? Been hearing that a lot in regard to Bryant.