Dak - What Is Your Solution?

Sydla

Reaction score
I operate with a couple of assumptions:

1) Dak is coming off a pretty significant injury. That's not his fault but that's just reality.
2) We just saw two teams pay two of his peers, have the bottoms drop out and both the Rams and Eagles move on from those contracts. So I am not going to give Dak a Mahomes level deal.

I make Dak a fair 5 year offer.

If he doesn't take it, I tell McClay and the scouts to start looking at the QBs even harder then they have to date and I start setting up a scenario where maybe I might have to move up a few picks to get one of the QBs. I can't have another year with Dak on the tag. That means it's unlikely a new deal ever gets struck with him if he plays on a 2nd tag. And if he plays in 2021, it's likely we win enough games where we are picking in the mid to late teens, early 20s in 2022 which does us no good in terms of getting a new QB.

I talk to the Texans about a trade for Watson. Maybe they'd want Dak back and some picks. Maybe Dak + 10 + next year's first. I'd likely do that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

1) Dak is coming off a pretty significant injury. That's not his fault but that's just reality.
2) We just saw two teams pay two of his peers, have the bottoms drop out and both the Rams and Eagles move on from those contracts. So I am not going to give Dak a Mahomes level deal.

If he doesn't take it, I tell McClay and the scouts to start looking at the QBs even harder then they have to date and I start setting up a scenario where maybe I might have to move up a few picks to get one of the QBs. I can't have another year with Dak on the tag. That means it's unlikely a new deal ever gets struck with him if he plays on a 2nd tag. And if he plays in 2021, it's likely we win enough games where we are picking in the mid to late teens, early 20s in 2022 which does us no good in terms of getting a new QB.

I talk to the Texans about a trade for Watson. Maybe they'd want Dak back and some picks. Maybe Dak + 10 + next year's first. I'd likely do that.

Why do you have to cheat and go to Will McClay?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
dak has all the leverage mouth one nad mouth two has said now for over two years that dak is there man we will soon see if this is true or lies like most things that come out of their mouths

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
All of these QB's, and players for that matter, are Have Gun, Will Relocate. They all know there is a time limit to their earnings potential and that time can come to an end abruptly.
I agree he should try to get everything he can out of his talent/body while he can. I'm not pro-owner, more don't want to be tied down seeing what happened in LA/PHI. I like the I have gun, relocate ref too :) He should use it to hold up every gas station on the way to happiness; doesn't make any sense just felt fun saying it :D

Personally I'd be fine with a 3 year deal @ 35M just to not have a Quincy/Hutchinson era redux. Give us time to plan this time (plan wth is that lol) 3/105/75 guaranteed and likely redone in year 3 if he shows he's top 5.

Otherwise I'm tempted to move up for Zack Wilson/Fields or explore Watson/Wilson trade avenues and just move on. Maybe moving him when he can pass the physical can offset some of the ammo needed in the trade but would likely not be able to afford a tag and a new QB unless he's a draft pick.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lighten up, Francis.

usually when someone feels they are on the losing side of the argument and can't argue on merits anymore, they start to resort to insults, usually starts with small put downs and it escalates from there, just so they can divert attention away from the argument at hand to something more confrontational....so why do you feel you are losing this argument?

Jipper

Reaction score

so you would give dak plus 2 firsts for Watson????

that’s beyond expensive, what you would save in Watson you easy give up in the benefit of the picks and the accompanying salaries:

whats your logic, I don’t see the value

raven55

Reaction score
I've saw both sides of this Drama and the side that says Sign, Sign Dak really have no intelligence that i can detect, stop a minute and think the agent is a money hog he has to be but a lot of people don't stop and think you can have a world beater like kansas city has and you still can be beat, Now transition to Dak he's not even in that class so what your going to have is a lot of yardage and no hope what so ever of contenting, if winning the division every year and then getting stomped right out of the gate from a real good defensive team jump right in with that attitude. see you in 2022 draft you can get excited again and again. Maybe stephen is right the cowboy fans are stupid.

Sydla

Reaction score
so you would give dak plus 2 firsts for Watson????

that’s beyond expensive, what you would save in Watson you easy give up in the benefit of the picks and the accompanying salaries:

whats your logic, I don’t see the value

Simple. I get a QB that I actually think is a bit better and I have him under contract through 2025 (And again, that's not a slight on Dak who is a good QB, I think Watson is a bit better). If Dak is holding out for a 3 year deal, then I'd only have Dak under contract through 2023.

Let me ask you then, if you can't get Dak signed and he wants to play under the tag again, what would you do? The reality is that you aren't going to tag him a 3rd time as it would be way too expensive and if you couldnt get him signed in 2020 and 2021, what makes you think you wouldn't get raked over the coals by him in 2022?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Spell it out. Put it in one thread.

To me there is no trade available that will keep the draft picks in hand to rebuild the defense. So it is sign Dak for me. I see him as a consistent player that can get it done if you can give him protection.

All the defense needs is to keep the opponent under 23 PPG. With the TE's, WR's, and running game, Dallas should average more than that.

I say keep Dak and let go of these silly trades. Andy Dalton is not a solution, by the way. If you pay 40m, well so what. You can ditch Zeke next year. Backload the contract if you need to. Dump Jaylon and push some of that money toward Gallup. But get this done and move on.

Now what is your plan? This is not a slander Dak thread, but your idea. I see a great deal of post attacking Dak that offer zero plans for replacing him. But these people are quick to call Dak out, but little on what they would do other than play Madden with ideas that cannot work.

Here is your shot to GM this situation. Let's see what you got.

Only options that make any sense:

-Sign Dak, play out 3 years, see what happens
-Sign Dak, trade him at some point
-Trade Dak now

Cowboys HAVE TO control the rights of Dak.

Options Cowboys cant do:

-Let Dak walk
-Let Dak play on the tag this year, and then walk

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Dallas will tag Dak again, not get him signed again and Dak will walk in 2022. My solution is to come to grips with that.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dallas will tag Dak again, not get him signed again and Dak will walk in 2022. My solution is to come to grips with that.

I think this is a real possibility. To me there are two outcomes here:

1) What you said above.

2) Jerry pulls a Jerry, buckles and gives Dak basically everything he wants.

And as I said in another thread, if Dak intends on playing on the tag this year, I entertain any and all trades for him and look at drafting a QB at 10 if one is there.

Jipper

Reaction score
Simple. I get a QB that I actually think is a bit better and I have him under contract through 2025 (And again, that's not a slight on Dak who is a good QB, I think Watson is a bit better). If Dak is holding out for a 3 year deal, then I'd only have Dak under contract through 2023.

Let me ask you then, if you can't get Dak signed and he wants to play under the tag again, what would you do? The reality is that you aren't going to tag him a 3rd time as it would be way too expensive and if you couldnt get him signed in 2020 and 2021, what makes you think you wouldn't get raked over the coals by him in 2022?

If you cant get Dak signed, its going to have to be a Dalton / Alex Smith type of 1-2 year gap deal and draft the replacement....i think thats about the best you can hope for right? I agree you cant tag him a 3rd time.

Just a crappy situation all the way around....If i had to choose between paying dak 40 mil a year and having the 2 firsts or having Russel through 2025 and no 1sts, i would personally rather have Dak and the 2 1sts...but it still sucks becuase unless the deal for Dak is a reasonable one, i don't see a good outcome here.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be in this situation. I would've transition tagged him last year and let the market set the price. Then I could decide to match it or not.
I'm not sure the transition tag would solve much. First, I don't know that it would really be a fair judge of the market because teams may be hesitant to enter into a full negotiation knowing the Cowboys can just render it a waste of time by matching the offer.

Then there is always the risk that another team would offer something more than the Cowboys would otherwise have to pay, thereby forcing the Cowboys to match a deal that was greater than was previously in the discussion, or let Dak walk with no compensation, and limited options.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I'll be Dak:

"Cool. I won't sign the franchise tag and you can decide to release me before July 15th or pay me $37 million and I'll leave next year. You can keep your take-it-or-leave-it offer and you can't trade me if I don't sign the tag. My agent and I don't have to do a thing. Draft whoever you like. Later, guys."

See above.

Hopefully all this happens after we've drafted a QB.