Dak will never be cheaper to sign than today

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What if he has a lousy year? His value decreases. Or he sustains a major injury. A lot can happen.
A major potential career ending injury is a risk no doubt.

But by most of the national sport writers and local beat writers the Cowboys if they are intent on retaining Dak into the future are risking additional millions in a contract beginning next year instead of inking him this year.

If the Cowboys are still in doubt of Dak and need another year to decide then perhaps the decision has already been made?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
If they were willing to move on, they would be more willing to go with a shorter deal. We are here right now because they arent. If they dont extended him next March, they will tag him again. Which will be 37m+, and next July we are right back to where we are now. Expect next year, it will be for more money
Nope.

The 5th year was just to lower the cap hits. Look at Amari’s deal. We can move on after two years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right. The sooner the cheaper. But no situation going forward is team friendly now. It only gets worse going forward. If he plays on the tag this year there may be no reasonable offer available next year. Even if he plays very well next year it may not be possible to maintain the team given what it will require to keep him.
Yep and why if we are intent on retaining Dak, barring some unusual injury or circumstance, today will be the cheapest we will be able to sign him for many years to come.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If he wants above top dollar and isnt affording the team any flexibility in the contract to create cap space if needed, its gets to where it's better to just not do it.
My views are continent on him wanting a 35-37 million at 4 years with 110 guaranteed...if he's asking for more than I agree with you.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep and why if we are intent on retaining Dak, barring some unusual injury or circumstance, today will be the cheapest we will be able to sign him for many years to come.

Right. But what's required to get that deal done? Maybe they're not thinking long term anymore? A 4 year deal at 35 per would have some pretty ugly cap hits. If they up the money per year for 5 years, the same or worse. What I am basically saying is what would it take to sign him now? Maybe that's not an option anymore. And if Dak doesn't care and is willing to go elsewhere, why should the Cowboys?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Initially I applauded the Cowboys for standing firm but that because it aligns with my doubts Dak is worth his demands .

But if you are certain Dak is our guy and want him for years to come today is the last day he will be this affordable barring unusual circumstances .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right. But what's required to get that deal done? Maybe they're not thinking long term anymore? A 4 year deal at 35 per would have some pretty ugly cap hits. If they up the money per year for 5 years, the same or worse. What I am basically saying is what would it take to sign him now? Maybe that's not an option anymore. And if Dak doesn't care and is willing to go elsewhere, why should the Cowboys?
It should be an option if we are All In with Dak.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Amari also get a significantly lower percentage of guaranteed money than Prescott likely would. He only got 40% of his contract. Prescott's is likely to be anywhere fron 65% to 70%.
Prescott isnt likely to get anything but the $31.4m on the tag :muttley:

If they do tag him next season, itll be because they failed to secure his replacement

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Initially I applauded the Cowboys for standing firm but that because it aligns with my doubts Dak is worth his demands .

But if you are certain Dak is our guy and want him for years to come today is the last day he will be this affordable batting unusual circumstances .
Cowboys get lapped by other organizations. Regardless of what we think of Prescott, the Cowboys veiw hin as a franchise caliber QB. This should have been done when Wentz and Goff got signed. Long term they are going to give rivals a competitive advantage because they dragged their feet for so long

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Prescott isnt likely to get anything but the $31.4m on the tag :muttley:

If they do tag him next season, itll be because they failed to secure his replacement
Outside of personal bias, consider the Cowboys are reportedly offering 35 million. You have to realize your statement is not true

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We missed our opportunity to sign him last year choosing to wait and see how he performed in 2019. Now if we wait until 2021 he’s going to be much more expensive .

At least about 7 million more just on the Franchise Tag but an extended contract next year will surpass anything we could arrive at today.

Assuming we still want Dak for years to come if we don’t sign him today it’s going to be a poor financial decision compared to next year or years ahead.

The only conclusion we can arrive at today if we don’t extend him is we aren’t sold on Dak and that message will be loud and clear.

I don't really understand this line of thinking. He will be paid what he's considered to be worth whenever he's given a contract, whether it's this year or next year.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
If a contract is not reached, it means he plays on the tag this season. Nothing more.
Then we will know for sure if he is worth a larger contract or not come nest season. Unless there are some excuses to cause one to think differently. And oh, boy, there will be excuses from both sides.
It means nothing else at this point.

Fans only make it out too mean something based on their narrative and / or personal opinions.

Some excuses, for and against......too many injuries any QB would fail, he had a great team around him, any QB would succeed.
We could have signed him last year for cheaper than what we are offering now. That is the problem. When you let a franchise QB go because you believe you found a better option; you shouldnt let it get to this point.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Outside of personal bias, consider the Cowboys are reportedly offering 35 million. You have to realize your statement is not true
Explain to me how and why its more likely they go through this fiasco again next season? Unless Dak wins the SB next year, why do you think this team would be willing to give him the long term extension he is looking for?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Unless Daks agent is asking way to much. Not sure exactly what the offer and the counter is.

glimmerman

Reaction score

They all know this. He has the stats to back signing him. He can get us there. Something is wrong. Either someone is being greedy or someone is being cheap. Waiting to see if JJ is arriving at the star or if he is on his yacht. Not even noon yet.