Dak will never be cheaper to sign than today

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They all know this. He has the stats to back signing him. He can get us there. Something is wrong. Either someone is being greedy or someone is being cheap. Waiting to see if JJ is arriving at the star or if he is on his yacht. Not even noon yet.
Personally? I think Jerry and co. waiting until the last minute to offer their best deal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unless Daks agent is asking way to much. Not sure exactly what the offer and the counter is.
Whatever it is there’s always a place somewhere in the middle negotiating . Regardless , it’s not going to be less next year barring some unusual circumstances.

And if it comes down to us needing more evidence that Dak is our guy then IMO the decision may have already been made.

But I suspect our brilliant ownership as reported locally by several sources are costing the Cowboys millions financially by putting off signing him until next year.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Explain to me how and why its more likely they go through this fiasco again next season? Unless Dak wins the SB next year, why do you think this team would be willing to give him the long term extension he is looking for?
Simple because QB's are the hardest position in sports to find, and when you find one you retain them

If they were willing to let him go, they would have tagged him with a non exclusive tag and saved money.

I have zero indications that they are willing to let him go. I cant keep you from thinking otherwise. I just dont see any reality in that.

Again we are talking about the Cowboys view of Prescott. Not yours

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Simple because QB's are the hardest position in sports to find, and when you find one you retain them

If they were willing to let him go, they would have tagged him with a non exclusive tag and saved money.

I have zero indications that they are willing to let him go. I cant keep you from thinking otherwise. I just dont see any reality in that.

If they were sold on him, he wouldve gotten his deal. There were several times when Jerry asked the staff if they were sure hes the guy.

The Cowboys are going down a road with Dak that has never led to the QB eventually being with the team long term. Just because you want him here long term doesnt mean its likely at this point.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We missed our opportunity to sign him last year choosing to wait and see how he performed in 2019. Now if we wait until 2021 he’s going to be much more expensive .

At least about 7 million more just on the Franchise Tag but an extended contract next year will surpass anything we could arrive at today.

Assuming we still want Dak for years to come if we don’t sign him today it’s going to be a poor financial decision compared to next year or years ahead.

The only conclusion we can arrive at today if we don’t extend him is we aren’t sold on Dak and that message will be loud and clear.

You also assume in this that Dak's demands are reasonable. This has been a team that isn't afraid to spend big on its players (see Lawrence, Elliott, et al). A poor financial decision would be paying above his value. If Dallas doesn't come to terms with him, it will be because he values himself higher than the Cowboys value him ... for now.

That could change in a year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Whatever it is there’s always a place somewhere in the middle negotiating . Regardless , it’s not going to be less next year barring some unusual circumstances.

And if it comes down to us needing more evidence that Dak is our guy then IMO the decision may have already been made.

But I suspect our brilliant ownership as reported locally by several sources are costing the Cowboys millions financially by putting off signing him until next year.
Every year people say they want to see more and we wait. Price goes up. New staff this year and a likely better ST. And more weapons.

glimmerman

Reaction score
You also assume in this that Dak's demands are reasonable. This has been a team that isn't afraid to spend big on its players (see Lawrence, Elliott, et al). A poor financial decision would be paying above his value. If Dallas doesn't come to terms with him, it will be because he values himself higher than the Cowboys value him ... for now.

Or his agent values him to high. Deal was supposedly almost done last year till we won 3 straight. Agent pulls the plug.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

By every indication we’ve seen and heard from our organization we are All In on Dak. We don’t need to see anymore.

If we are under valuing Dak or feel he is over valuing himself then we are risking losing our franchise QB in 2021. If we are ok with that then fine.

At the very least he will not be cheaper next year and it will cost us millions which is the point of the thread.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We missed our opportunity to sign him last year choosing to wait and see how he performed in 2019. Now if we wait until 2021 he’s going to be much more expensive .

At least about 7 million more just on the Franchise Tag but an extended contract next year will surpass anything we could arrive at today.

Assuming we still want Dak for years to come if we don’t sign him today it’s going to be a poor financial decision compared to next year or years ahead.

The only conclusion we can arrive at today if we don’t extend him is we aren’t sold on Dak and that message will be loud and clear.
Read my lips..

"Ain't sold yet."

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If they were sold on him, he wouldve gotten his deal. There were several times when Jerry asked the staff if they were sure hes the guy.

The Cowboys are going down a road with Dak that has never led to the QB eventually being with the team long term. Just because you want him here long term doesnt mean its likely at this point.
They haven't this deal because of the years. Its been reported all over the place that they have agreed on money. So whatever they told him convinced him he was their guy.

Thats where we are going to have to disagree. I don't see any way are arent in the same place next year with a 38 (37?) dollar franchise tag on him. You dont see it? Fine. Im not gonna try to convince. You are welcome to your opinions and your predictions.

Ill say this, even as a Dak supporter, if I walked in as the GM without an extention next March, I probably trade him. Reason: Dak is a top 10 guy to me. However odds are Watson is going to extended before the year is out, and that could potentially be 38-40. If I sign Dak after that, the market is completely different than back when Wentz and Goff signed. Signing Dak at that point puts you at a competitive disadvantage with the Eagles. At that point, Id consider tagging him, trading him and moving on a young QB in the draft

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then there will be a final offer. This one we are hearing now is a old one. From months ago.

May have already been sent. Waiting on a counter..
The local media blasted Jerry and Stephen yesterday saying waiting to sign Dak is costing the Cowboys financially.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The local media blasted Jerry and Stephen yesterday saying waiting to sign Dak is costing the Cowboys financially.
They got something planned. Something should be coming soon. Or they are on the yacht and letting him play under the tag yet again hoping Dak fires his agent. When D-Law signed SJ simply called him up and gave him the deal. I don’t think JJ and SJ like these agents very much..

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Right

Every indication from our powers that be is they are sold on Dak.

And if they don’t sign him today it’s simply going to cost us financially much more next year. So, why not go ahead and belly up now?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Unless there is no football this year.

The cap will plummet if there is no season and do his price would have to come down if he wants to QB for the Cowboys.

Which is why a deal likely won't be reached today...unless Dak caves...which given the circumstances, might be smart.
Indeed sir, and why its quite surprising how this is not mentioned.
I honestly believe the signing bonus is playing a huge roadblock.
Cant pay that with no guaranteed year.
Look to KC and how they just signed their all pro DT.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They got something planned. Something should be coming soon. Or they are on the yacht and letting him play under the tag yet again hoping Dak fires his agent. When D-Law signed SJ simply called him up and gave him the deal. I don’t think JJ and SJ like these agents very much..
Then it could cost them their franchise QB or tens of millions next year.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

No one offers a guy $100 million guaranteed - for more years than he's asking - if they're not sold on him. That's just nonsense. :muttley:

The Cowboys had a plan and, like Zeke before him, Dak didn't play along. In Zeke's case he wanted paid NOW and got it. Dak wants a shorter deal, like Goff and Wentz, and the Cowboys refuse to budge. They also boxed themselves in by overpaying Zeke, DLaw, and Cooper.

They better redo the plan because Dak will be gone in two years. Let's hope for more than the next Paxton Lynch or Quincy Carter. God help us.