Dak's advancement

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, they have done a fine job over the last 5 years. They seem to be pushing all the right buttons. That's being objective.

There were many years that was not the case, but those years are irrelevant unless we go back to the old way of doing business. In that case I'll hand you a pitchfork and light your torch for you.
Yeah I mean we can discuss how they have handled coaching hires but this front office has done a solid job these last few years. I don’t know why it has the reputation of being incompetent.

ghst187

Reaction score
I think most every person on this board was pleasantly surprised Dak's rookie year when I think he surpassed even the most enthusiastic expectations. Since that time many of you have soured on him, and some are even rooting for him to fail.

I have my own concerns about Dak, but a I don't really believe that the coaching staff has done him any favors. I think Jerry and Stephen may also believe that as well.

Let's say Jerry, Steven McClay and Co. are right about Dak and reward him with what many here would consider to be an above market contract for Dak, (top 10 contract) but not really top 5 pay.

Many here would cringe at that number and I think that's understandable. But maybe Jerry and Co. are more in tune to reality than many believe them to be.

We all KNOW Linehan SUCKED. What if Dak gets some really good coaching, gets put in the position to succeed and he performs far above his rookie campaign level in terms of his play and winning. What would that be worth?

I really believe that Jerry and Stephen will not fire Garrett no matter what. But I have reconsidered that position. What IF Jerry and Stephen and McClay are pushing all their chips on Dak and saying we are not going to piss off Dak's career the same as we did with Romo. Maybe Garrett really IS on the hot seat.

I believe you will see Dak improve frantically this year, as all of the pieces are starting to come together. 1. He has a healthy, deep, talented OL. 2. He has a #1 receiver in Cooper an up and comer in Gallup and more talent in Cobb than he has ever had before.

The weak link on offense is RB2. That should be addressed in the draft. We also could use a real tight end (Ertz type). If we get that, and some innovative play calling this offense could SOAR.

The defense might take a step back this year if Tank departs via a trade, but I think it will be at least average. The team, as comprised will be good. The draft should, in theory, make us a little bit better.

I expect a trade to happen somewhere along the way, and they tend to be out of the blue and not what we expect. I'm optimistic about this year.

Good post. Also articulates another good reason we should wait at least one more season before we hand Dak another contract. Let’s see what he looks like with an off-season with a real WR corps, his All pro C back, and a OC that plays to his strengths. If he plays a full season as well as he did that latter part of this past season then I don’t have a prob with handing him a 20-25 per year contract.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Good post. Also articulates another good reason we should wait at least one more season before we hand Dak another contract. Let’s see what he looks like with an off-season with a real WR corps, his All pro C back, and a OC that plays to his strengths. If he plays a full season as well as he did that latter part of this past season then I don’t have a prob with handing him a 20-25 per year contract.
The problem with that is if you take that approach he’s not getting 20-25 million. He’s getting 30+ million.

ghst187

Reaction score
The problem with that is if you take that approach he’s not getting 20-25 million. He’s getting 30+ million.

If that’s the going rate for a quality qb then what can you do.....use the tag?
I would be interested in hearing the arguments for and against the league putting a cap on individual player contracts like the NBA does, which also gives the home team a higher max to encourage players to stay with one team. The QB salaries are getting out of hand kinda like the rookie contracts were until they put a cap / scale on them.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
He was easily a top-10 QB last year post-Cooper trade. Not even debatable.

He put up the greatest rookie season in NFL history.

32-16 record with 2 division titles, so he’s a WINNER too.

Can’t wait to lock up our franchise QB and feast on the tears of his detractors!
I would rather feast on championships.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every off season, we fans deal with the unknown. Last season it was that failed experiment with a bunch of #2 WR's. This season, at least for me, It is Dak Prescott. I sure would be happier if they'd let him play out this contract year and check the options then and that's not because of him but them.

I also do not lay off Prescott's struggles on Linehan, didn't see him miss one open receiver. I saw Prescott miss too many QB 101 throws.

Part of my reluctance with him is the fact that I watched him play a lot in college and know why he was not slated to go above the 4th round by anyone. The reasons for that still remain.

I am skeptical about Dak Prescott but even more so about the brain trust of this team. Will they pay him top 10 money because they believe he's a top 10 QB or is that ego driven because he was a 4th rounder?

We can cite QB's beyond the 1st round all day long but this is attempting to make the exception the rule. They even wanted two other QB's before settling on him. And those two would have been whiffs.

The fact is almost every team is going to be forced to pay the QB big money so it's not like they're stepping out by paying him top 10 and while there's always a lot of hoopla around the Tier 1 QB's, how successful have they really been except for one? They can go to the Big Dance with Prescott at QB.

My concern is greater about what they put around him rather than what they pay him. And paying big money to players means they have to be very good with the affordable ones. Right now, few are concerned about the cap effect because of the space but it will only take a couple of big contracts to put this team back where they're used to being.

visionary

Reaction score

Can’t wait to lock up our franchise QB and feast on the tears of his detractors!

Only blind homers dream of trash like this

Real Fans want to win SBs
You know that's not happening so you come up with garbage like this
Nothing new for you

visionary

Reaction score
Every off season, we fans deal with the unknown. Last season it was that failed experiment with a bunch of #2 WR's. This season, at least for me, It is Dak Prescott. I sure would be happier if they'd let him play out this contract year and check the options then and that's not because of him but them.

I also do not lay off Prescott's struggles on Linehan, didn't see him miss one open receiver. I saw Prescott miss too many QB 101 throws.

Part of my reluctance with him is the fact that I watched him play a lot in college and know why he was not slated to go above the 4th round by anyone. The reasons for that still remain.

I am skeptical about Dak Prescott but even more so about the brain trust of this team. Will they pay him top 10 money because they believe he's a top 10 QB or is that ego driven because he was a 4th rounder?

We can cite QB's beyond the 1st round all day long but this is attempting to make the exception the rule. They even wanted two other QB's before settling on him. And those two would have been whiffs.

The fact is almost every team is going to be forced to pay the QB big money so it's not like they're stepping out by paying him top 10 and while there's always a lot of hoopla around the Tier 1 QB's, how successful have they really been except for one? They can go to the Big Dance with Prescott at QB.

My concern is greater about what they put around him rather than what they pay him. And paying big money to players means they have to be very good with the affordable ones. Right now, few are concerned about the cap effect because of the space but it will only take a couple of big contracts to put this team back where they're used to being.

You cannot pay an average QB elite money and then hope to build a great team around him with a FO that misses way way more than it hits. Esp when saddled with a crappy HC

Won't work

nobody

Reaction score
Dak has plateaued at best. Advancement is ambitious at this point.

He might have, but I don't think he has plateaued. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt since he'll have a new OC and QB coach as well as a slightly different offensive weapon mix? I'm not for re-signing him yet. I think they should make him play out his rookie contract just in case, but I think we'll see improvement and the earning of a better contract next season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t get the angst about Dak. He’s a good player and a great leader. He’s getting paid and he’s going to be in Dallas a long time.

The single biggest hope for the team advancing is Dak taking the next step in his QB progression, and frankly that’s pretty likely.

As for fans that don’t see that we’ve got a good team and are generally doing things that keep good teams competitive, you’re blind.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You cannot pay an average QB elite money and then hope to build a great team around him with a FO that misses way way more than it hits. Esp when saddled with a crappy HC

Won't work
Then we better hope they build around him with above average players because I do not see this not happening. And that "elite money" will turn to average with the signings after him. It's just the way the league is headed and that's how they will justify it to themselves.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak has plateaued at best. Advancement is ambitious at this point.
If that is fact, that does not mean they cannot be a true contender. They're not that far off the higher rated teams in the NFC.

They put a lesser team around Staubach and Aikman and maybe the team is lucky to have one or two rings. Too much focus and reliance on QB's by fans, Brees and Rodgers have one ring each while E Manning and Flacco have two each because of the teams built around them.

817Gill

Reaction score
I hear you. Really don't want us to overpay for Dak. In fact, I'd prefer to have him for real cheap one more year before deciding.

But I think many here are carrying the scars of the franchises longer term failure to advance deep in the playoffs.
If you just look at the last 4 years, one could argue that the franchises overall performance is top 7-8 in the league.
It's less than we want, but thee division titles , 4 winning seasons, and probably top 5 most wins in the league is not total rap. Again, just not as good as we'd like.
Exactly, fans try to lump 20 years into every argument. The team has changed its philosophy and approach ever since about 2013. Since then we’ve been a top 1/4th of the league team.

Remember a qb change happened in that time as well.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He might have, but I don't think he has plateaued. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt since he'll have a new OC and QB coach as well as a slightly different offensive weapon mix? I'm not for re-signing him yet. I think they should make him play out his rookie contract just in case, but I think we'll see improvement and the earning of a better contract next season.
I hope we see that improvement this season because I think this contract will be replaced before camp.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think most every person on this board was pleasantly surprised Dak's rookie year when I think he surpassed even the most enthusiastic expectations. Since that time many of you have soured on him, and some are even rooting for him to fail.

I have my own concerns about Dak, but a I don't really believe that the coaching staff has done him any favors. I think Jerry and Stephen may also believe that as well.

Let's say Jerry, Steven McClay and Co. are right about Dak and reward him with what many here would consider to be an above market contract for Dak, (top 10 contract) but not really top 5 pay.

Many here would cringe at that number and I think that's understandable. But maybe Jerry and Co. are more in tune to reality than many believe them to be.

We all KNOW Linehan SUCKED. What if Dak gets some really good coaching, gets put in the position to succeed and he performs far above his rookie campaign level in terms of his play and winning. What would that be worth?

I really believe that Jerry and Stephen will not fire Garrett no matter what. But I have reconsidered that position. What IF Jerry and Stephen and McClay are pushing all their chips on Dak and saying we are not going to piss off Dak's career the same as we did with Romo. Maybe Garrett really IS on the hot seat.

I believe you will see Dak improve frantically this year, as all of the pieces are starting to come together. 1. He has a healthy, deep, talented OL. 2. He has a #1 receiver in Cooper an up and comer in Gallup and more talent in Cobb than he has ever had before.

The weak link on offense is RB2. That should be addressed in the draft. We also could use a real tight end (Ertz type). If we get that, and some innovative play calling this offense could SOAR.

The defense might take a step back this year if Tank departs via a trade, but I think it will be at least average. The team, as comprised will be good. The draft should, in theory, make us a little bit better.

I expect a trade to happen somewhere along the way, and they tend to be out of the blue and not what we expect. I'm optimistic about this year.
The verdict is in and it’s a great one! Your second paragraph I think is spot on. Linehan tried to make him something he wasn’t. He tried to fit a square peg into his offensive philosophy round hole. Great points in your post throughout.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Depending on how the draft and free agency goes we are looking at a 9-12 win team.. If we lose Tank but don’t get someone else or two someone else’s somewhat comparable, the defense might take a step back. We also need to upgrade DT and Safety if we want to have a deep run..

The offense appears to be trending upwards. We added some new pieces, getting some old pieces back, and of course coaching changes which may take a while to adjust or they may hit the ground running and shock the league.

I believe we are contenders and I believe we can make some noise with a few upgrades on defense and a healthy o-line. NFC Championship appearance or bust. We can win with Dak and I believe the offense has a good supporting cast the way it appears to be shaping up..

817Gill

Reaction score
This FO is utter garbage and have no real vision of what it takes to win

You're blind if you think they do

Dak is not a top 10 QB and we will hamstring the team WHEN we pay him like that

We will continue to be 'relevant ' and Ron nothing of consequence but the FO is content with that

Prescott’s stats the last 9 games of the season:

229/332, 71.1% completion percentage,
2,451 pass yards,13 TD 4 Int, 5 rushing TD’s,
8-1 record

Prorated 16-game production-

4,357 pass yards, 23 TD’s 7 Int, 9 Rush TD’s

Top 10