Dak's cap hit

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Nope.. that’s business .

Fans get too attached to winning and the game aspect. This will always be a business first. Take care of yourself and then you try to make the best of it.

Are you going to take 30% less at your job so it makes room for more or better help?
Then why do you complain when they lose? Why do you complain that the Cowboys haven't accomplished anything for the past 26 years? You're being a hypocrite, Greg.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then why do you complain when they lose? Why do you complain that the Cowboys haven't accomplished anything for the past 26 years? You're being a hypocrite, Greg.
Because I hold those responsible for making these football business decisions.

If over paying talent prevents this team from more success that’s on the front office not the players.

If we believe overpaying our QB prevents us a greater opportunity winning then we should look for alternatives which will place us in a better position to win. Or find someone in front office who can better negotiate for the franchise.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
@America's Cowboy
I’d add that our ownerships priority isn’t always winning. Or he’d of stepped down years ago.

And to him possibly over paying his Star talent brings big returns in revenue while stifling the ability to afford to surround them with more talent .

It might be a sacrifice or risk he’s willing to take to remain in his own words “ interesting and relative “ .

For someone who maintains he’d do anything to win I’d say he’s the hypocrite.

jnday

Reaction score
So basically if players don’t win a championship they’re worthless. Ok

Does this thought just apply to the QB or the entire roster?
You said it. I didn’t. What has he accomplished? What year did he win NFC Championship while he was surrounded by all of that talent? You can’t have both ways. Dak can’t have a season record of 13-4 or 10-7, but y’all seem to constantly say he does. The only time that the Dak lovers gives the team’s record is when they lose several games. Winning a Super Bowl should be the one and only goal of this team. If they don’t win a Super Bowl, the team is worthless to me. Forgive me for having higher standards. I grew up in the Landry years when making the playoffs was not an accomplishment. Super Bowl appearances was an accomplishment. Expectations are so low now that fans are just happy to have a chance at playing in a wild card game. There are some good players with value on the team, but as a team, they are failures without a championship.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Is $30 million / year too little for you? That would have saved $10 mil / year. Don't you think?
And let's say he said no, and signed somewhere else.

Who u got?

And is 30M that different than 40M? Specially that cap hit is 17.5M. so what now? Your cap hit is 13M. So 4.5 M is difference between a championship team and not one? Who would we have signed for the money

This is not about building a team. Etc. It's about your feelings about where Dak ranks in your mind and what he should make in today's NFL landscape.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
According to 99% of Dak lovers, Dak is responsible when they win and it is his win/loss record until it starts to look bad and then it belongs to the team.
According to 99% of Dak haters, Dak is responsible when they lose and it's his loss/win record until it starts to look good and then it belongs to the team.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And let's say he said no, and signed somewhere else.

Who u got?

And is 30M that different than 40M? Specially that cap hit is 17.5M. so what now? Your cap hit is 13M. So 4.5 M is difference between a championship team and not one? Who would we have signed for the money

This is not about building a team. Etc. It's about your feelings about where Dak ranks in your mind and what he should make in today's NFL landscape.
It's about keeping a playoff capable team intact. The only one with their feelings wrapped up in his comments is you.

plasticman

Reaction score
Very true. Who did the Cowboy draft before Dak, I really cannot remember because of all the baseball players and knock offs came thru? lol
Since 1994, when Jerry was really in charge of the draft, there has been 140 quarterbacks drafted in the top three rounds. The Cowboys and the Saints have chosen one. The team average is 4.3 quarterbacks chosen in the top three rounds since 1994.

The Cowboys have used veteran free agents towards the end of their careers like Testeverde and Bledsoe. They have used rookie free agents like Hutchinson and Romo. They have traded for QB's like Hensen. They have never committed seriously to drafting QB's.

Sure, the Colts only drafted 2 in the top three rounds but they were both #1 picks overall, Manning and Luck. That's a commitment.

The Cowboys need to draft QB's more often to encourage competition.

Aulac

Reaction score
I'm curious PD, you clearly are not a Dak fan and would rather we hadn't signed him long term. You equally are not happy at how much finance has been tied up in him but my question is this, IF in the next 4 seasons, Dallas wins a super bowl or two, would you relent and soften your stance towards him or would the hate continue?

Dak and SB does not compute, unless Dak get injure, and our backup QB end up winning us one AKA the Foles special, because that the only way it will ever happen, or the team carries him instead aka Manning in his final SB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You said it. I didn’t. What has he accomplished? What year did he win NFC Championship while he was surrounded by all of that talent? You can’t have both ways. Dak can’t have a season record of 13-4 or 10-7, but y’all seem to constantly say he does. The only time that the Dak lovers gives the team’s record is when they lose several games. Winning a Super Bowl should be the one and only goal of this team. If they don’t win a Super Bowl, the team is worthless to me. Forgive me for having higher standards. I grew up in the Landry years when making the playoffs was not an accomplishment. Super Bowl appearances was an accomplishment. Expectations are so low now that fans are just happy to have a chance at playing in a wild card game. There are some good players with value on the team, but as a team, they are failures without a championship.
I grew up in Landry era and I’m not a Dak Homer. I’m also not a Super Bowl or bust fan. I thought Meredith, Morton and White were all good enough QB’s to build around and win with who didn’t win a championship.

When a team doesn’t reach their ultimate goal of winning a championship it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a result of a lesser QB. While I definitely see some of Daks flaws and our last QB Romo’s flaws I wouldn’t characterize either as the root of the problem or weakness of the team.

Instead I’d lay the responsibility on the builder of these teams who wasn’t able to create greater support groups while providing the coaching throughout along with the proper culture it takes to achieve these goals. And if there is any negligible that falls at the feet of these QB’s it’s not at the same level of other contributing factors.

And as far as the Bar this dysfunctional ownership has definitely lowered through his egotistical selfish and embarrassing manner in which he has stranglehold Cowboys football in which I’d argue our last two QB’s while not at the Elite level we grew accustomed to during our glory eras have helped prop up a much lesser era brought on by the greatest obstacle and hindrance our franchise has ever experienced as the one constant handicap throughout this era regardless who our QB or HC and roster was.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's about keeping a playoff capable team intact. The only one with their feelings wrapped up in his comments is you.
again, you are just throwing out thoughts, without knowing or having any details behind...how does 17.5M stop us from not keeping a playoff team intact?

if you can't provide details., you have no clue....you are just throwing out talking points to argue

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
again, you are just throwing out thoughts, without knowing or having any details behind...how does 17.5M stop us from not keeping a playoff team intact?

if you can't provide details., you have no clue....you are just throwing out talking points to argue
How much cap space does the team currently have available right now for this 2021 season? I believe it's $4 million.

How much cap space does the team have available for next year in 2022 before any reconstructions? I believe the team is in a hole...in the negative.

How is this team going to keep this team intact when 21 current players (almost half are starters or key rotational players) are expected to become unrestricted free agents at the end of this season when you currently have no cap space available for next year?

Have you thought about that or is overpaying a handful of players more important to you???

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How much cap space does the team currently have available right now for this 2021 season? I believe it's $4 million.

How much cap space does the team have available for next year in 2022 before any reconstructions? I believe the team is in a hole...in the negative.

How is this team going to keep this team intact when 21 current players (almost half are starters or key rotational players) are expected to become unrestricted free agents at the end of this season when you currently have no cap space available for next year?

Have you thought about that or is overpaying a handful of players more important to you???
yes, and many other teams in the same boat. that's why (drum roll please), they restructure contracts. its done every year, by every team so they fit under the cap. every team, and I mean all 32, push money and dead cap into the future and at some point pay. some do it better than others.....

so next year, we can easily open up the space necessary to do what we need to do..... Lawrence, Smith, Dak, Zeke, collins, Brown, Jarwin, Martin, are all available contracts to dump, or restructure.....

you talk as if this is it, we can't do anything, we can't restructure and we are stuck. that's far from reality.

and I worry about over paying. some positions and players you over pay. why? not because I like them or have personal feelings. its the market, its the options available to you, its how you plan to replace those players. its what it means to the team and its what alternatives you have, all with the goal in mind that to make the team better. Dak at 17.5M this year was not an impediment to signing anybody.....there is over all contract value (different argument) and there is annual cap space. and how much a player counts towards the cap....how much lower than 17.5M could we get and what would that net us? I am sure his contract will be restructured next year and his cap hit reduced. that's how the contract was designed with restructure in mind.

plus outside of Gregory, Schultz is there anybody we really must sign and we won't be able to? is there anyone in FA we would want and won't be able to get as a result? specifics matter.....talking point are meaningless

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The problem lies where some fans shout "DAK SUCKS!!!" because he missed a key throw in the final drive or in your analogy the last shot. Dismissing the fact that he threw for 375yds and 2 tds because the run wasn't working, calling them empty stats or stats padding. Expecting someone to be perfect, SOLEY based off the money they make is the reason threads like this are made.
I agree. but Elite QBs make that play because it counts and matters the most in the big scheme of things. yes, you are right, his play prior to that in the game put us in that position to have a chance. but we lost the chance.....I wasn't happy about the missed opportunity. but I am not about to throw the baby out with the bath water unless I know there is a better baby available....(I can't believe I used that analogy...but you get the gist)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
yes, and many other teams in the same boat. that's why (drum roll please), they restructure contracts. its done every year, by every team so they fit under the cap. every team, and I mean all 32, push money and dead cap into the future and at some point pay. some do it better than others.....

so next year, we can easily open up the space necessary to do what we need to do..... Lawrence, Smith, Dak, Zeke, collins, Brown, Jarwin, Martin, are all available contracts to dump, or restructure.....

you talk as if this is it, we can't do anything, we can't restructure and we are stuck. that's far from reality.

and I worry about over paying. some positions and players you over pay. why? not because I like them or have personal feelings. its the market, its the options available to you, its how you plan to replace those players. its what it means to the team and its what alternatives you have, all with the goal in mind that to make the team better. Dak at 17.5M this year was not an impediment to signing anybody.....there is over all contract value (different argument) and there is annual cap space. and how much a player counts towards the cap....how much lower than 17.5M could we get and what would that net us? I am sure his contract will be restructured next year and his cap hit reduced. that's how the contract was designed with restructure in mind.

plus outside of Gregory, Schultz is there anybody we really must sign and we won't be able to? is there anyone in FA we would want and won't be able to get as a result? specifics matter.....talking point are meaningless
So talk some specifics, because all you are spewing are talking points.