Dak's cap hit

starfan1

Reaction score
DGAF bout Dak's cap hit it isn't nothing i can do about it. I'm numb to it anymore. Jerry has been making stupid cap signing decisions for a very long time and always manages to sign the players needed or at least sign low to mid level FA good enough to help the team. he kicks the can down the road enough for it to make sense to him and ultimately he's the one the signs the checks. the list is long of dumb signing from this dude. The cowboys draft well at the moment barring a few decisions and if they continue to do that well be fine.

Daks not the only one on this team overpaid and underperforming. Be thankful we aren't the Lions or Jets

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So talk some specifics, because all you are spewing are talking points.
  • OK, Dak has a cap hit of 34.5M in 2022. it can be reworked to open up at least 15M on the cap. I don't see any other options than Dak in the market or FA. we have no idea about the draft and our pick or who will be available (I am not opposed to drafting a QB in first 3 rounds). if there are options available, then I would like to know
  • Demarcus Lawrence has a cap hit of 27M in 2022. Cutting him prior to June 1st would have a dead cap of 19M, just doing that alone would open up 8M, however, as a post June 1st designation dead cap is 9.5M, so it would open up about 18M on the cap
  • Amari Cooper has a cap hit of 22M in 2022. if we decide to let Gallup walk and keep cooper, his contract can be reworked to easily open up 5-8 M on the cap
  • Zak Martin has a 20M cap hit in 2022. we are not getting rid of him, he will be here for a long time, we can rework his contract and open 5-8M on the cap
  • Zeke has a cap hit of 18M in 2022. What do we do with Zeke? is it time to move on? or are we sticking with him one more year? cutting him would have a 30M cap hit in 2022, so I doubt if we cut him, even as post June 1st, its a 15M cap hit, so it would only save 3M on the cap, so we probably do a restructure and push money out or perhaps just live with it one more year since his dead cap hit next year is around 11M and we can split that in two year as a post june 1st. so this depends on how things work out for the rest of FA that we may want to sign or keep. need to wait until post season to determine the course of action that maybe best
  • Tyron Smith is a tough case too. his cap hit is 17M. when he is healthy, he is dominant. but he has been injured every year. I think we keep him since Steele nor collins are as good on the left, his dead cap is around 12M, perhaps a small restructure to open up 3-5M and then draft a tackle high (even first round I would say).....we shall see and have to wait until the draft and see how player evaluations go, what pick we have, etc.
  • Collins is another tough case. his cap hit is 15M, but dead cap is about 13.5. post june 1st, he will have around 7M hit on the cap.....but saves 8M. is steele ready to be full time on the right? is he tradable? is another tackle on the roster ready to step into the swing tackle role? who is available in FA. perhaps if we are making a run, keep him one more year, and then resign steele, as steel is a good swing tackle, if we are keeping smith, he will miss a few games and we need a good swing tackle available....
  • Anthony brown...see ya....he saves 5M off the cap, we have joseph, wright ready to step in (hopefully)....
  • Blake Jarwin, cap hit is 7M, dead cap is 2M....as a back up he would make too much. Schultz is a priority signing and cutting him would give us 5M that can go towards resigning Schultz.....McKeon is already as good as Jarwin...
  • Jordan Lewis...he counts 6M against the cap, 1.2M in dead cap.....do we have our slot CB on the roster? is there a cheaper one year option? cutting him saves 5M

now, these are various options that are available, we have to wait until off season, negotiations with Gregory and Schultz and any other FAs of our own or other teams we want to sign, what those contract structures will be and then determine how much money we need to open up and how we need to restructure...

your turn!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
  • OK, Dak has a cap hit of 34.5M in 2022. it can be reworked to open up at least 15M on the cap. I don't see any other options than Dak in the market or FA. we have no idea about the draft and our pick or who will be available (I am not opposed to drafting a QB in first 3 rounds). if there are options available, then I would like to know
  • Demarcus Lawrence has a cap hit of 27M in 2022. Cutting him prior to June 1st would have a dead cap of 19M, just doing that alone would open up 8M, however, as a post June 1st designation dead cap is 9.5M, so it would open up about 18M on the cap
  • Amari Cooper has a cap hit of 22M in 2022. if we decide to let Gallup walk and keep cooper, his contract can be reworked to easily open up 5-8 M on the cap
  • Zak Martin has a 20M cap hit in 2022. we are not getting rid of him, he will be here for a long time, we can rework his contract and open 5-8M on the cap
  • Zeke has a cap hit of 18M in 2022. What do we do with Zeke? is it time to move on? or are we sticking with him one more year? cutting him would have a 30M cap hit in 2022, so I doubt if we cut him, even as post June 1st, its a 15M cap hit, so it would only save 3M on the cap, so we probably do a restructure and push money out or perhaps just live with it one more year since his dead cap hit next year is around 11M and we can split that in two year as a post june 1st. so this depends on how things work out for the rest of FA that we may want to sign or keep. need to wait until post season to determine the course of action that maybe best
  • Tyron Smith is a tough case too. his cap hit is 17M. when he is healthy, he is dominant. but he has been injured every year. I think we keep him since Steele nor collins are as good on the left, his dead cap is around 12M, perhaps a small restructure to open up 3-5M and then draft a tackle high (even first round I would say).....we shall see and have to wait until the draft and see how player evaluations go, what pick we have, etc.
  • Collins is another tough case. his cap hit is 15M, but dead cap is about 13.5. post june 1st, he will have around 7M hit on the cap.....but saves 8M. is steele ready to be full time on the right? is he tradable? is another tackle on the roster ready to step into the swing tackle role? who is available in FA. perhaps if we are making a run, keep him one more year, and then resign steele, as steel is a good swing tackle, if we are keeping smith, he will miss a few games and we need a good swing tackle available....
  • Anthony brown...see ya....he saves 5M off the cap, we have joseph, wright ready to step in (hopefully)....
  • Blake Jarwin, cap hit is 7M, dead cap is 2M....as a back up he would make too much. Schultz is a priority signing and cutting him would give us 5M that can go towards resigning Schultz.....McKeon is already as good as Jarwin...
  • Jordan Lewis...he counts 6M against the cap, 1.2M in dead cap.....do we have our slot CB on the roster? is there a cheaper one year option? cutting him saves 5M
now, these are various options that are available, we have to wait until off season, negotiations with Gregory and Schultz and any other FAs of our own or other teams we want to sign, what those contract structures will be and then determine how much money we need to open up and how we need to restructure...

your turn!
Good stuff. Finally, you are talking...and I hear you.

Only 1 problem (since you clearly favor keeping Amari Cooper over Michael Gallup)...

The Cowboys refused to restructure Amari's contract this year. Instead, they took the $22 million cap hit. This means it allows the Cowboys the ability to cut Amari Cooper AND SAVE $17 million for next season if they cut him before the 5th day (March 20, 2022) of the 2022 new league year (starts on March 15, 2022). If Amari is still on the roster by the 5th day (March 20, 2022) of the new league year (2022), Amari Cooper is then guaranteed his full $20+ million salary for 2022, thus guaranteeing he will be on the roster next year moving forward.

If the Cowboys and Michael Gallup are able to negotiate a team-friendly new deal (since Gallup’s market value is at $11 million/year), I would not be surprised to see Amari cut while Gallup gets resigned ($11 mil/year) for half of what the Cowboys pay Amari ($22 mil/year). This would greatly help the Cowboys save and open up more capspace to be able to resign other key players.

Funny how you didn't mention this? :D

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. Regardless, I'm pissed at him. He could have taken less in order to help the team right now. $100 million in endorsements simply for being the Cowboys starting and franchise QB should have been enough to help the team back with the salary cap. Instead, Dak did the opposite. That doesn't sit well with me when it comes to being a team player and so called leader.
I'm one that doesn't buy the idea of endorsements as a substitute for salary. To me allowing Sleep Number to use his image and put him in ads is simply a separate income opportunity. If through the role I play with the company I work for I am exposed to people that offer me a chance to get in on an investment opportunity, and I make money, I'm not going to tell the company I work for they can pay me less than market value for my work.
I would say he is more Cowboys first. Dak's impotence as a QB has nothing to do with him as a person. Love the guy, just not that impressed by what he brings to the field.
Then why does he talk only about Dak, why does he try and turn conversations that aren't about Dak into Dak bashes, and why does he not come on this site except when the team loses or Dak doesn't play well?

Cmac

Reaction score
Careful Salaryologists......where we going with this?

jnday

Reaction score
According to 99% of Dak haters, Dak is responsible when they lose and it's his loss/win record until it starts to look good and then it belongs to the team.
I make a effort not to post anything about Dak after he has a bad game and I have never blamed him for being the only reason for a loss. I try to give it a couple days before commenting on Dak’s bad games. I don’t feel the need to rub it in. Y’all get too emotional for that. I have always considered wins and losses as team efforts, but Dak lovers are constantly stating Dak’s record against certain teams, conferences, players, etc. You can’t have it both ways, but the Dak fans sure try to.

jnday

Reaction score

your turn!
All of those options are nothing more than kicking the bucket down the road until the team finds itself in cap hell again.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Good stuff. Finally, you are talking...and I hear you.

Only 1 problem (since you clearly favor keeping Amari Cooper over Michael Gallup)...

The Cowboys refused to restructure Amari's contract this year. Instead, they took the $22 million cap hit. This means it allows the Cowboys the ability to cut Amari Cooper AND SAVE $17 million for next season if they cut him before the 5th day (March 20, 2022) of the 2022 new league year (starts on March 15, 2022). If Amari is still on the roster by the 5th day (March 20, 2022) of the new league year (2022), Amari Cooper is then guaranteed his full $20+ million salary for 2022, thus guaranteeing he will be on the roster next year moving forward.

If the Cowboys and Michael Gallup are able to negotiate a team-friendly new deal (since Gallup’s market value is at $11 million/year), I would not be surprised to see Amari cut while Gallup gets resigned ($11 mil/year) for half of what the Cowboys pay Amari ($22 mil/year). This would greatly help the Cowboys save and open up more capspace to be able to resign other key players.

Funny how you didn't mention this? :D
that may very well happen. I think we may have too much invested at the WR if we keep all three. two would be highly paid and CD is a high draft pick (a resource we used). being 3 deep with that good a WR group is a luxuary. so I can't see all three on the roster next year, although that would be nice. IMHO, Gregory, Schultz are priority signings. if somehow we get to keep Gallup, then that much better.

the question is which Wr group is better if we can't keep all of them, Gallup/CD/Wilson or Cooper/CD/Wilson

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
that may very well happen. I think we may have too much invested at the WR if we keep all three. two would be highly paid and CD is a high draft pick (a resource we used). being 3 deep with that good a WR group is a luxuary. so I can't see all three on the roster next year, although that would be nice. IMHO, Gregory, Schultz are priority signings. if somehow we get to keep Gallup, then that much better.

the question is which Wr group is better if we can't keep all of them, Gallup/CD/Wilson or Cooper/CD/Wilson
All depends on cost. Which group is cheaper to keep. Which gives you more bang for the buck?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
All of those options are nothing more than kicking the bucket down the road until the team finds itself in cap hell again.
and almost every team eventually does.....and then your unload, take a cap hit for a couple of years and reload (hopefully)

with that said, that's why because of the cap there is even more emphasis on drafting well. if you draft well, then you can afford to move on from certain contracts and players (or not hand them out at all). most teams spread the cap hits over several season and in essence operate under a lesser cap. normally and usually crappier teams tend to have more cap room, since they didn't keep the players they drafted and are moving on/have moved on. some good teams have lots of cap room, usually because they drafted well but their cap issues will come when they have to start to resign their players.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I make a effort not to post anything about Dak after he has a bad game and I have never blamed him for being the only reason for a loss. I try to give it a couple days before commenting on Dak’s bad games. I don’t feel the need to rub it in. Y’all get too emotional for that. I have always considered wins and losses as team efforts, but Dak lovers are constantly stating Dak’s record against certain teams, conferences, players, etc. You can’t have it both ways, but the Dak fans sure try to.
I am with you. wins and losses are a team thing. each game maybe different. some players have more impact/influence in wins and losses than others, but rarely solely responsible for a loss game in game out or else they are cut.