Dak's contract extension in Jerry's words

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Is it just me......coz it seems Jerry is saying yes, we wanna extend Dak but not at any cost, he has to work with us. In other words, he and Todd France will not get a blank check coz it appears they have all the leverage.

BTW........Keep in mind, this likely gets resolved before the new league year ( March 17 or 18 ) coz that's when Dak's massive cap hit goes on the books.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...es-in-dak-prescott-but-how-much-is-that-worth

Reporters pressed Jerry Jones about his hesitation about Prescott compared to this time a year ago, and Jones’ response was a word salad.

“I’m unequivocal about it right now,” Jones said. “We’ve got a lot of contract work to do. I’m unequivocal about all of the contracts. I can be unequivocal about all the contracts. But we’re going to have to adjust all contracts to get as many of the very players that you could ask me about singly under contract. The facts are that it’s obvious who your top players are. It’s obvious who the players we want back would be. That’s obvious. It very obvious here in my mind. And so anything I’ve said, like last year, I said we see a picture of him going forward for many years, that’s alive and well. Yes, we sure do, but we’ve got a lot of contracts to address.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Dak is on a one year prove it deal. Just like MM and DQ. Taking JJ’s “all in this year” comment together with this word salad, my best interpretation is as follows:

They have to get a lot of contracts under the cap to make a run. The FO will do everything they can to field a competitive team in 2024. If they fail to execute this year, they are going into a rebuild mode: new coaching staff, new QB, etc…

This is shaping up to be the swan song for MM and DQ. Everybody in the organization loves and believes in Dak— but not at any cost.

IMO— no extension this offseason for their boy spells a new direction at QB in 2025 if they come up empty again in the playoffs.

My prediction: 9-8 and we miss the playoffs this year. This is a lame duck coaching staff that is managing a fractured locker room and they will be facing a 1st place schedule.

As usual, JJ is late to the party with decisions. Running it back this year and maintaining the status quo was simply the wrong decision.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
How much of the $59m can we ***** into the Void years, with a view to (in a worse case scenario) paying up in 2025?
Extending Dak can't be the only way of retaining and competing in 2024?

CWR

Reaction score
This contract will take until the 11th hour and be PROHIBITIVE for us signing any FAs.

If we don't have any cap relief until he's signed then Jerry has a built in excuse to be sluggish in FA once again.

visionary

Reaction score
You can go back and find exactly the same quotes about Daks contract from Jerry right up until Dak walked out with 40 million/y, no trade clause and no franchise tag

The Joneses are morons when it comes to football knowledge and NFL contracts

CWR

Reaction score
How much of the $59m can we ***** into the Void years, with a view to (in a worse case scenario) paying up in 2025?
If we spread it out evenly were looking at 31 mpy with 2 dead years. It sucks, but it's that or extend.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They have to get a lot of contracts under the cap to make a run. The FO will do everything they can to field a competitive team in 2024. If they fail to execute this year, they are going into a rebuild mode: new coaching staff, new QB, etc…

This is shaping up to be the swan song for MM and DQ. Everybody in the organization loves and believes in Dak— but not at any cost.

IMO— no extension this offseason for their boy spells a new direction at QB in 2025 if they come up empty again in the playoffs.

My prediction: 9-8 and we miss the playoffs this year. This is a lame duck coaching staff that is managing a fractured locker room and they will be facing a 1st place schedule.
I agree 100%.......Jerry's "going all in" IMO is we are taking one last swing with this group ( MM, Dak, Quinn ) which leads to two 2025 options

*** They all will earn an extension via NFCCG +
*** We will blow it up with a new QB and head coach

Sidenote......Don't be surprised to see Lance if the 2024 season goes south early.

Something pretty clear.......regardless of what he says, his confidence in Dak isn't what it used to be.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You can go back and find exactly the same quotes about Daks contract from Jerry right up until Dak walked out with 40 million/y, no trade clause and no franchise tag

The Joneses are morons when it comes to football knowledge and NFL contracts
Yep, which is why Jerry's quotes seem's like him pleading to Dak..... please give me a deal and we can try again.
Sorry, Jerry make a decision, one way or the other....extend (and accept you'll get shafted), cut post-June and rebuild around what you've got or maybe ***** as much CAP into 2025 and hope for a last huzzah.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I think people are hearing Jerry’s words and projecting what they want to happen as what he’s saying. Speaking to the media yesterday was a “rallying the troops” moment for Jerry, the troops being the fans. him and Stephen said on paper all the right things- putting them into action is a different story but he said everything with the intent to install hope into an apathetic fan base whose morale is at or close to an all time low.

Dak will be extended either this offseason or down the road, they aren’t “moving on from him” whether we feel they should or not. Both Jerry and Stephen believe the team is “close” whether we do or don’t and he’s not gonna move on from a franchise qb who he has so much invested in. He didn’t commit to an extension yesterday because he knows half the fan base would revolt and also because there’s a few different ways to handle the cap gymnastics.

Everything they said yesterday was under the guise of the team is close. If anything it’s a doubling down on what’s going on not an exit strategy.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Dak is on a one year prove it deal. Just like MM and DQ. Taking JJ’s “all in this year” comment together with this word salad, my best interpretation is as follows:

As usual, JJ is late to the party with decisions. Running it back this year and maintaining the status quo was simply the wrong decision.
Well said, and if Jerry does go all in and signs all these fancy free agents and our own guys, we will be in cap hell in 2025 and will have to purge the entire roster.

I think jerry thinks this team is close and is trying to make one final run at a Super Bowl.

You know that isn't happening.

I can see us having few 5-11 seasons ahead of us in the not too distant future.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Keep in mind Wales.......this isn't just extending or cap relief it is giving Dak a new contract. This is why suddenly Jerry's talking about other contracts. What Dak/Todd France thinks he's worth and Jerry/Stephen will be the straw that stirs this thing. For example.........just speculation on my part...

** Jerry and Stephen offer another 4 years but only $41-45M per year.
** Dak and Todd France refuse to consider anything less than $50M

BTW......Just the fact we are seeing where Jerry is concerned about "other contracts" tells me something we never thought was possible a few years ago..........they are considering the future w/o Dak.

Jerry's been dealing with the media for over 30 years.......he knows exactly what he is doing.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Keep in mind Wales.......this isn't just extending or cap relief it is giving Dak a new contract. This is why suddenly Jerry's talking about other contracts. What Dak/Todd France thinks he's worth and Jerry/Stephen will be the straw that stirs this thing. For example.........just speculation on my part...

** Jerry and Stephen offer another 4 years but only $41-45M per year.
** Dak and Todd France refuse to consider anything less than $50M

BTW......Just the fact we are seeing where Jerry is concerned about "other contracts" tells me something we never thought was possible a few years ago..........they are considering the future w/o Dak.

Jerry's been dealing with the media for over 30 years.......he knows exactly what he is doing.
Don't be surprised if Dak tries to push for 65 to 70 minimum.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no way the Cowboys will come out of this any other way than being screwed. Jerry will cave and overpay. He will think he has to outbid someone like he's done before. I expect this to be the worst contract in the history of the team. Think about that.

Flamma

Reaction score

The problem here is, MM and DQ don't count against the cap. Dak does. And 60 Mil against the cap on a prove it deal is self defeating. It's asinine. You can't win. We're in a catch 22.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Only thing I'll disagree with are the last 2 lines.
I do not think and certainly do not expect that this all-in approach means a Super Bowl.

But I also do not see any all-in approach falling short of this year's win total by 3 games.
If Dak and the team is reasonably healthy, they win 10+.

It isn't just Dak its DLaw, Zack, Tyron, CeeDee, Micah. And the entire coaching staff.
A LOT of guys are essentially on 1-year deals in some fashion. If they rebuild it will be a tear down, gut job.

Running it back was likely the ONLY decision.
You don't have the assets to rebuild this year. No team is silly enough to dismantle a 12-win team without even a decent draft class to build from.
The best possible decision was recognizing it is a 1 year all in scenario. Do nothing long-term.
Win fairly big(nfc championship game appearance would be my target) or blow it up.

Dak had to Brock Purdy it. He played out hsi entire cheap rookie dal and then was further delayed with a stupid franchise tag.
The franchise itself is to blame for the contract woes with Dak.
BUT that is all over now by far.
Dak won the contract negotiations by far and itis up to him to check Todd France if he wants to be here long term.
It almost certainly won't happen at 60M but he could very possibly reach that number in true free agency in 2025.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
if Jerry does go all in and signs all these fancy free agents and our own guys, we will be in cap hell in 2025 and will have to purge the entire roster.
I don't see it this way........I see no extension for Dak unless it's at their price. If Dak insists on not working with them, they will bite the bullet, eat his cap and do the best they can by signing bottom-tier free agents and letting the chips fall. Don't forget Lance waiting for his shot....