Dak's contract extension in Jerry's words

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
BTW......Just the fact we are seeing where Jerry is concerned about "other contracts" tells me something we never thought was possible a few years ago..........they are considering the future w/o Dak.
That's because Jerry gambled on Dak and now concedes he isnt necessarily the QB that's our Franchise QB into his late 30's.
Even Jerry can see that if we extend Dak to elite contract on similar benefits (eg NTC and length of contract) to Dak's we're killing ourselves long term.
Jerry's pleading with Dak/France to concede (even if its length of contract).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The problem here is, MM and DQ don't count against the cap. Dak does. And 60 Mil against the cap on a prove it deal is self defeating. It's asinine. You can't win. We're in a catch 22.
Yup. Its basically on Todd France and Dak if they will accept the restructure to reduce this year's hit without an extension.
Todd would not want to but Dak might. Dak has bet on himself in every contract discussion thus far and that has worked out well.
A flip of his salary to bonus saves about 18M with no new years added.

Flamma

Reaction score
How much of the $59m can we ***** into the Void years, with a view to (in a worse case scenario) paying up in 2025?
Extending Dak can't be the only way of retaining and competing in 2024?
There is no good way out of this. They could move quite a bit into void years, but then what? If you then want to release him after next year all that money moved comes back to bite you. It's probably not doable without an extension.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I don't see it this way........I see no extension for Dak unless it's at their price. If Dak insists on not working with them, they will bite the bullet, eat his cap and do the best they can by signing bottom-tier free agents and letting the chips fall. Don't forget Lance waiting for his shot....
Good to see you’re coming around and looking at things realistically.

A $50 mil a year Dak was never realistic.

Trey Lance was not traded for to be a 3rd string emergency QB. Jerry doesn’t make trades like that.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yup. Its basically on Todd France and Dak if they will accept the restructure to reduce this year's hit without an extension.
Todd would not want to but Dak might. Dak has bet on himself in every contract discussion thus far and that has worked out well.
A flip of his salary to bonus saves about 18M with no new years added.
Not really.

Dak got lucky and broke his leg in a year that he was leading the NFL in combined INTs and Fumbles while the Cowboys sat at a 1-3 record.

2020, if allowed to fully play out, would’ve been Daks final year here.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Only thing I'll disagree with are the last 2 lines.
I do not think and certainly do not expect that this all-in approach means a Super Bowl.

But I also do not see any all-in approach falling short of this year's win total by 3 games.
If Dak and the team is reasonably healthy, they win 10+.

It isn't just Dak its DLaw, Zack, Tyron, CeeDee, Micah. And the entire coaching staff.
A LOT of guys are essentially on 1-year deals in some fashion. If they rebuild it will be a tear down, gut job.

Running it back was likely the ONLY decision.
You don't have the assets to rebuild this year. No team is silly enough to dismantle a 12-win team without even a decent draft class to build from.
The best possible decision was recognizing it is a 1 year all in scenario. Do nothing long-term.
Win fairly big(nfc championship game appearance would be my target) or blow it up.

Dak had to Brock Purdy it. He played out hsi entire cheap rookie dal and then was further delayed with a stupid franchise tag.
The franchise itself is to blame for the contract woes with Dak.
BUT that is all over now by far.
Dak won the contract negotiations by far and itis up to him to check Todd France if he wants to be here long term.
It almost certainly won't happen at 60M but he could very possibly reach that number in true free agency in 2025.
This ^^^^^^^^ two 2025 options ( win big or they blow it up )

Let's not forgive Lance is waiting for his shot.........who knows, this could be what Jerry was thinking when he made the trade.

jgboys1

Reaction score
I don't see it this way........I see no extension for Dak unless it's at their price. If Dak insists on not working with them, they will bite the bullet, eat his cap and do the best they can by signing bottom-tier free agents and letting the chips fall. Don't forget Lance waiting for his shot....
I would love to see what Trey can do, if anything. The only problem with this scenario is that Trey is going to a free agent after this season and with Dak's signing bonus escalated after next season, if we do not extend him, it will make it almost impossible to sign anyone.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
This ^^^^^^^^ two 2025 options ( win big or they blow it up )

Let's not forgive Lance is waiting for his shot.........who knows, this could be what Jerry was thinking when he made the trade.
When has Jerry ever made a trade for a player he viewed as just a back up, depth guy?

Never.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Even Jerry can see that if we extend Dak to elite contract on similar benefits (eg NTC and length of contract) to Dak's we're killing ourselves long term.
Jerry's pleading with Dak/France to concede (even if its length of contract).
Exactly ........go back and review some of Jerry and Stephen's comments about Dak/contracts during his rookie deal and even after the current was initially signed. He was the best thing since sliced bread........we hear we will go as far as he takes us.

No question......this was a message to Dak/France and fans

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When has Jerry ever made a trade for a player he viewed as just a back up, depth guy?

Never.
Nothing during Jerry Jones' tenure suggests Trey Lance was traded for to immediately replace Dak Prescott. The move does suggest Lance will be a possible small investment successor when he moves on from Prescott down the road.

Jones saves draft capital by NOT investing in a first round quarterback selection at that time having Lance already on the roster. He will rationalize not drafting a younger first rounder by counter-arguing Lance WAS both a first round draft pick, who also actually started in the league before the trade.

Time itself will ultimately reveal if Jones intentions will remain typical to what he has always done post-Aikman. Decades of stubbornness supports that conclusion. Or he will do something atypical, which will vindicate your assumption.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I would love to see what Trey can do, if anything. The only problem with this scenario is that Trey is going to a free agent after this season and with Dak's signing bonus escalated after next season, if we do not extend him, it will make it almost impossible to sign anyone.
Pretty sure they have planned for the possibility of NOT reaching an agreement on an extension. We have to keep in mind it's a multi-billion dollar business/team. I'm 100% sure they are ready with a plan B C D F and any other scenario.

I do think if it comes to not being able to sign many free agents....they are ready for that

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
There is no way the Cowboys will come out of this any other way than being screwed. Jerry will cave and overpay. He will think he has to outbid someone like he's done before. I expect this to be the worst contract in the history of the team. Think about that.
Maybe even the worst in NFL history.

HMJYay

Reaction score
I don’t trust the things Jerry says generally, but this sure sounds like in the nicest way possible saying they don’t know what they are going to do. lol. I think it comes down to Dak taking a “deal.” I do not think they are going to make him the highest paid QB. But, I’ve been wrong many times before ☺️

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Also are we sure dak wants to be back? It’s just football, if he’s losing sleep over what everyone’s saying about him maybe step aside and let someone else have a shot? It’s not a birth right to be the quarterback for the Dallas cowboys

Everyone’s scared of change, the next guy could be our favorite guy of all time. It could be the coolest story and we won’t know until we move on from all this gross $100 million dollar contract stuff and choke artist storylines and coach firings and wide receiver sulking.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There is no good way out of this. They could move quite a bit into void years, but then what? If you then want to release him after next year all that money moved comes back to bite you. It's probably not doable without an extension.
I suppose the 'then what' is the new contract which at least allows to pay it as signing bonus and prorator it, giving that early window to compete.
The issue with extending (as I think I see it), is we still owe the differed payments in 2025 and 2026 which wipes out the benefits gain by the signing bonus.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The problem here is, MM and DQ don't count against the cap. Dak does. And 60 Mil against the cap on a prove it deal is self defeating. It's asinine. You can't win. We're in a catch 22.
I believe there is a loophole in his current deal where they can reduce 59 mil down to 40 mil without any new renegotiation (as I understand it)

I am not a capologist by any stretch lol

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it just me......coz it seems Jerry is saying yes, we wanna extend Dak but not at any cost, he has to work with us. In other words, he and Todd France will not get a blank check coz it appears they have all the leverage.

BTW........Keep in mind, this likely gets resolved before the new league year ( March 17 or 18 ) coz that's when Dak's massive cap hit goes on the books.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...es-in-dak-prescott-but-how-much-is-that-worth

Reporters pressed Jerry Jones about his hesitation about Prescott compared to this time a year ago, and Jones’ response was a word salad.

“I’m unequivocal about it right now,” Jones said. “We’ve got a lot of contract work to do. I’m unequivocal about all of the contracts. I can be unequivocal about all the contracts. But we’re going to have to adjust all contracts to get as many of the very players that you could ask me about singly under contract. The facts are that it’s obvious who your top players are. It’s obvious who the players we want back would be. That’s obvious. It very obvious here in my mind. And so anything I’ve said, like last year, I said we see a picture of him going forward for many years, that’s alive and well. Yes, we sure do, but we’ve got a lot of contracts to address.”

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Never.
These guys don't get it?o_O
They are defacto that such a choke job and need to carried QB who by the way has lost all respect and belief from his teammates is a show-in for an extension.
They will learn that even drunken old decrepit mentally old men sometimes make the right decision when the writing is on he wall!
Trey Lance was an exclusive Jerry move to get away from the DAK TRASH man!
Who let's face it............. has FAILED!