Dak's contract extension in Jerry's words

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't see it this way........I see no extension for Dak unless it's at their price. If Dak insists on not working with them, they will bite the bullet, eat his cap and do the best they can by signing bottom-tier free agents and letting the chips fall. Don't forget Lance waiting for his shot....
I wish we could move on this year. The QB class this year is absolutely stacked. Going up against Maye or Williams the next 5 years scares the living crap out of me.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There is no good way out of this. They could move quite a bit into void years, but then what? If you then want to release him after next year all that money moved comes back to bite you. It's probably not doable without an extension.
And this is why you plan to have a certain window to win, and suck it up and rebuild when the bill comes due.

These two figured they had a better plan than anyone else, and they would avoid cap problems later on by not signing the help they needed at the time.

Now best case is they get one shot. They should have been “all-in” from the moment McCarthy got here.

The kings of misevaluation continue to insist they are great.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But Jerry is going to take the safest route.
And that's extending Dak.
So my girlfriend is an ugly dog (all my friends say so) but I'm afraid of being alone so I'll continue to waste my life away dating her even though I can't stand to look at her?
Yes sounds like a real winner baby!!! :facepalm:

khiladi

Reaction score
There is a different element at play here and that is the two-prized players of the Cowboys, Micah and CeeDee had family members calling out Dak’s play.

There is no way Jerry isn’t familiar with the pulse of his players regarding Dak.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a different element at play here and that is the two-prized players of the Cowboys, Micah and CeeDee had family members calling out Dak’s play.

There is no way Jerry isn’t familiar with the pulse of his players regarding Dak.
They hope that the massive deals they will be receiving will calm the storm.
It won't just be a matter of time till the locker room explodes!
The only factor the Dak-Stains have going for them is Jerry's fearing the ferryman.
Were gonna see how long the legs are on that one soonest.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
So my girlfriend is an ugly dog (all my friends say so) but I'm afraid of being alone so I'll continue to waste my life away dating her even though I can't stand to look at her?
Yes sounds like a real winner baby!!! :facepalm:
Not saying we should extend Dak.
I am saying Jerry will do the easiest thing.
I think I have been pretty clear on my opinion on Jerry's GM skills.
Lol

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
They hope that the massive deals they will be receiving will calm the storm.
It won't just be a matter of time till the locker room explodes!
The only factor the Dak-Stains have going for them is Jerry's fearing the ferryman.
Were gonna see how long the legs are on that one soonest.
Are there still dakstans after the latest playoff disaster?
Maybe a handful ?

Creeper

Reaction score
Don't be surprised if Dak tries to push for 65 to 70 minimum.
I think this is exactly what he is going to do. Remember, the last time he was up for a contract the rumors were he wanted $40 million and we all scoffed at that. No way! Right? Then he signs for $40 million for 4 year and a no trade clause! What a mess Jerry made of it. I don;t care about the no franchise tag clause because next year his tag number would be a ridiculous figure that would have to be taken against the CAP all at once along with the pro-rated bonus they pushed into 2025. It would be in the range of $70 - $75 million. Franchising him was never an option.

But, given Dak went to what was an inconceivable number last time, we have to imagine he will do it again this time. Is that number $60 million? That's what we are thinking now so I am thinking it is going to be higher than that.

And here is the thing, whatever he gets will be back loaded because Jerry needs CAP space in 2024 and 2025. Will we be looking at a $90 million CAP hit for Dak in 4 years?

I think Jerry has to hold the line. It may mean a full rebuild in 2025 and 2026, but if he signed Dak to $60 million or more, he is looking at a rebuild in 3 years anyway.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are there still dakstans after the latest playoff disaster?
Maybe a handful ?
Out of thousands of members at this fine establishment, there are maybe a dozen left.
And trust me there love has nothing to do with the game of football.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I honestly think it's now up to Dak if he will continue his career as a Cowboy. As stated before, I think Jerry is drawing the line....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree 100%.......Jerry's "going all in" IMO is we are taking one last swing with this group ( MM, Dak, Quinn ) which leads to two 2025 options

*** They all will earn an extension via NFCCG +
*** We will blow it up with a new QB and head coach

Sidenote......Don't be surprised to see Lance if the 2024 season goes south early.

Something pretty clear.......regardless of what he says, his confidence in Dak isn't what it used to be.

I could see it. I think they either extend Dak with a contract that gives the FO an out at some point before it ends or they will eat the cap hit this year knowing that we're probably screwed in 2024, and they'll try to build something in 2025.

Staubacher

Reaction score
You can go back and find exactly the same quotes about Daks contract from Jerry right up until Dak walked out with 40 million/y, no trade clause and no franchise tag

The Joneses are morons when it comes to football knowledge and NFL contracts
Yup they got fleeced by Dak and Zeke and got nothing of import back to show for it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Is it just me......coz it seems Jerry is saying yes, we wanna extend Dak but not at any cost, he has to work with us. In other words, he and Todd France will not get a blank check coz it appears they have all the leverage.

BTW........Keep in mind, this likely gets resolved before the new league year ( March 17 or 18 ) coz that's when Dak's massive cap hit goes on the books.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...es-in-dak-prescott-but-how-much-is-that-worth

Reporters pressed Jerry Jones about his hesitation about Prescott compared to this time a year ago, and Jones’ response was a word salad.

“I’m unequivocal about it right now,” Jones said. “We’ve got a lot of contract work to do. I’m unequivocal about all of the contracts. I can be unequivocal about all the contracts. But we’re going to have to adjust all contracts to get as many of the very players that you could ask me about singly under contract. The facts are that it’s obvious who your top players are. It’s obvious who the players we want back would be. That’s obvious. It very obvious here in my mind. And so anything I’ve said, like last year, I said we see a picture of him going forward for many years, that’s alive and well. Yes, we sure do, but we’ve got a lot of contracts to address.”
Does Jerry have any idea what unequivocal means? It makes zero sense the way he uses the word.