Video: Dak's first pick of training camp

glimmerman

Reaction score
I do not know you outside CowboysZone but I believe you could. I'm 58, slow and slightly overweight (shut up wifey!) and I am confident I could have caught it too.

That should be a routine catch for a pro receiver. A college receiver. A high school receiver. I could not care less that it is practice. What is a receiver's main job responsibility? What are they getting PAID to do?

Jump on the quarterback if the throw is outside a player's catch radius. The pass is catchable. Perfect spiral? Catchable. Tumbling end over end? Catchable.

My friends know what is coming out of my mouth when that incompletion happens in a real game: "CATCH THAT <EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVE> BALL!" At my television. At the stadium. Pro. College. High school. Of course, mouths attached to the same head having sensitive ears want me to respect the children hearing bad language. Boo hoo hoo. They gotta grow up some time.

/end rant
I wanted to post something like this. Just turned 53. In my young mind I keep thinking I could step out there and make a play that is that easy. Was right in his hands. PUT HANDS UP AND QB PUTS BALL RIGHT THERE. BALL HITS HANDS AND SQUEEZE THE CATCH IN. LOOK THE BALL INTO BODY. SECURE AND TURN UP FIELD. Then my ultimate 6.7 second 40 yard time kicks in. Or I pull a hammy, either way in ain’t going much farther than 7 yards before I fall or they tackle me and I fumble. (Just being real) but if I managed to hold onto the ball then I would get up (maybe) and limp to the sidelines. Then proceed to the MRI machine for a full body scan. And be sore for a week. And I still train 4 or 5 days a week.

We forget that running and having fun would get our adrenaline going but hitting that hard ground with a 210-230 pound dude on top of you is very unforgiving.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Lol. Dude straight flubbed the catch. Maybe these receivers like him and Brown are not that good. Was on the money.
At full speed it looks like an average-thrown ball (a bit into his body, not leading him to accelerate), but you can ALMOST see in the 50% slowed clip what i thiunk the real problem is. I slowed it down further to 10% speed.....and that's when you can REALLY see what these receivers are dealing with: the ball comes out of his hand like a wounded duck doing the backstroke.

Tight spirals...ball placement....PACE.... these are the unseen variables that make a big difference in catchability.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted to post something like this. Just turned 53. In my young mind I keep thinking I could step out there and make a play that is that easy. Was right in his hands. PUT HANDS UP AND QB PUTS BALL RIGHT THERE. BALL HITS HANDS AND SQUEEZE THE CATCH IN. LOOK THE BALL INTO BODY. SECURE AND TURN UP FIELD. Then my ultimate 6.7 second 40 yard time kicks in. Or I pull a hammy, either way in ain’t going much farther than 7 yards before I fall or they tackle me and I fumble. (Just being real) but if I managed to hold onto the ball then I would get up (maybe) and limp to the sidelines. Then proceed to the MRI machine for a full body scan. And be sore for a week. And I still train 4 or 5 days a week.

We forget that running and having fun would get our adrenaline going but hitting that hard ground with a 210-230 pound dude on top of you is very unforgiving.
My stupid brain realized just how slow I am now when I was racing my 14-year old softball loving granddaughter in a 40-yard race. :)

I did not like seeing her hair flapping in the wind from behind. :(

glimmerman

Reaction score
My stupid brain realized just how slow I am now when I was racing my 14-year old softball loving granddaughter in a 40-yard race. :)

I did not like seeing her hair flapping in the wind from behind. :(
I always joke my way out of a race. I have a heck of a 5 yard burst. And that burst comes after the first 3 or 4 yards. Then usually before 20 yards comes around I realize.. wow I am slow and my calf or hammy is about to pop. And the herniated disks in my lower back is really gonna flare, and my wife is NOT going to give me any sympathy. Probly take pictures of me laying on the floor with ice and post it on social media. Lol.

Now in my early 40’s I would keep going. And lose and be injured. Now I just stay on the sidelines. Maybe give a weight lifting tip.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I can tell you are someone with such a high level of intelligence that you are usually perceived as a complete idiot after people's first impressions of you.

Your cross to bear.
First, second, third, to infinity and beyond. You really gotta wonder how much of a loser someone has to be to spend time trying his hardest to make other people miserable