Dak's running may help for a bit, but it will end badly

foofighters

Reaction score
Running quarterbacks are again a fad in the NFL.
But just like before, and just like the Ravens found out and the Eagles, and the Falcons with Vick, the NFL shied away from running quarterbacks because they eventually get hurt, and leave their team without a starter.
Dak was a running quarterback in college and his passing was bad. This is nothing new.
You're looking into this wrong. No one thinks Dak is a "running QB," but he needs to move around the pocket in designed roll outs to pass first and if there is no one open and if there is an opening to run, do it. However, we should rarely design plays where he actually does run.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Exactly what isn't true about what I'm saying, it opens the Defense up regardless of who is catching it!?. Add in Pollard threat it's potent, look at the other top teams around the league
I said somewhat agree, QBs can be very effective in picking the appropriate moments and avoid contact to the sideline.
Dak has improved in his situational awareness by a large measure this season, I will call a spade a spade.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Staubach scrambled, but didn't run.
He tried that and ended up with a separated shoulder, and Landry was mad.
There's a difference between scrambling and using the quarterback as a running back.
This is wrong.

Dak is running 3.3 times per game this year. Staubach had 5 seasons where he rushed for that or more, including one at 4.1.

If you think Dak is running the ball a lot you aren't paying attention. Dak is no more than middle of the league for QB rushing attempts.

CWR

Reaction score
I did watch a few games of him in college in his senior year. I gauantee 100% you didn't watch any. so don't question anyone if you didn't do it yourself (you got caught with your pants down around your ankles, bent over in jail).

"ranks in the top-20 in SEC history in passing touchdowns (70, 16th), completion percentage (62.8, 12th), completions (734, 12th), passing yards (9,376, 11th), and passing efficiency (146.1, 12th)"
2015 SENIOR SEASON: Led the SEC in conference games in completions (226), completion percentage (67.1), passing yards (2,528), touchdown-to-interception ratio (17:4), passing yards per game (316.2) and total offense per game (363)
in senior season his completion percentage was 66.2% and passed for 3793 yards, that ranked 15th in college football.

so it looks like you are being your old lazy self, no clue. just make up stuff as you go. got caught in a lie yet again, but then again that's what alcoholics do.

Wow, just shut down the thread. OP is clueless

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Exactly what isn't true about what I'm saying, it opens the Defense up regardless of who is catching it!?. Add in Pollard threat it's potent, look at the other top teams around the league
chill bro and read my responses

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This is wrong.

Dak is running 3.3 times per game this year. Staubach had 5 seasons where he rushed for that or more, including one at 4.1.

If you think Dak is running the ball a lot you aren't paying attention. Dak is no more than middle of the league for QB rushing attempts.
and that is perfectly acceptable and invited if Dak picks his most apropriate times to take off.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I disagree here somewhat, as Joe Theismann could run. His career actually began as a punt returner with Washington after being released by Miami, and he would regularly burn us with his scrambling.
You mean running?

Vabchshark

Reaction score
Yes his running as well. Back then they seemed to use the term scrambling more than running.

ESisback

Reaction score
A runner is someone like Cam Newton, RG3, or Justin Fields. A scrambling pocket passer is what they’d like Dak to be. Big difference.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
Dak is scrambling and running pretty much untouched. He will be fine as long *** he doesn't try to stiff arm somebody an they do a dirty tackle.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Running quarterbacks are again a fad in the NFL.
But just like before, and just like the Ravens found out and the Eagles, and the Falcons with Vick, the NFL shied away from running quarterbacks because they eventually get hurt, and leave their team without a starter.
Dak was a running quarterback in college and his passing was bad. This is nothing new.
Run Forest...I mean Dak, run...run Dak! RUN, Dak...run.

Vabchshark

Reaction score
Of course back in the 70s, early 80s there not very many actual running QBs. My statement wasn't him being a running QB, but rather he could run(scramble) when he needed to. Thanks

tunahelper

Reaction score
Completely different imo…those guys looked to run first almost and those guys made a lot of runs in between the tackles. Most of daks runs are to keep plays alive and many times he slides down or gets out of bounds.

Dak had become in love with being strictly a pocket passer, him threatening the defense 2-3 times a game on the potential that he could run is an element he needs. He’s also not a “running quarterback”. He’s shown he can drop back
Dak is slow at times processing his reads and it leads to him holding the ball. That is why he must run in those situations, so he can keep the chains moving. I am not a Dak hater, however this is an obvious flaw in his game.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
To me if Dak isn’t running here & there then his value to the team is greatly diminished. As just pure pocket passers I don’t know that there’s much difference between Dak & Rush. The edge goes to Dak because he’s such a strong runner that he can shake off sacks and would be tacklers. That added element keeps plays alive and the sticks moving.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak is slow at times processing his reads and it leads to him holding the ball. That is why he must run in those situations, so he can keep the chains moving. I am not a Dak hater, however this is an obvious flaw in his game.
I think I'm seeing him taking his angles and when to run...he sure has been showing us that for the last few games.

nobody

Reaction score
Look, I think in the end Dak will choke in the playoffs, but he's a good regular season QB and excels best when he can move around. He's not a stand in the pocket QB. Never was or will be. He needs to be able to move.

Does that present risks for injury? Yeah. But that's the game.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE Dak using his legs and getting first downs and easy yards If the defense gives them

Defenses have been sleeping on him ,and now that we have issues in the running game, his jaunts are necessary as long as it’s done judiciously.

No need to take big hits unless it’s in the playoffs and absolutely necessary
His running is helpful but hope he learns to slide. Also he needs to learn to throw one away sometimes to avoid the sack/loss of yards.